Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stokes in hot water at Celtic

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Should i be in hot water at my workplace if i attended such a function or indeed should any of us?

That's a very good question. It's a bit weird with players because they are a bit like ambassadors for their clubs, but it is unreasonable to expect them to behave well all the time. Fans are in a weird position because they often end up cheering for people they normally wouldn't like.
    Prop Joe wrote: »
    Both John Terry & Wayne Rooney have well known criminal connections,Where is the hullabaloo about these guys or what about Stevie Gerrard being a character witness for a armed robber and well known gangster.

Add in Stuart Pearce,Titus Bramble and many more who are connected to convicted criminals.

Stokes has some unsavory mates but is he any different to those mentioned?

Terry, Rooney and Gerrard's dodgy families and mates have generated loads of hullabaloo. What forum have you been reading?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

And as this is an Irish board people certainly care when the Journalist who originally broke the story received death threats.

Another misrepresentation of the truth for BBE.

The journalist who wrote about the commemoration night in the Submarine Bar has written at least a dozen articles on Alan Ryan et al and the one where she mentioned Stokes was present at the function was the most recent of those, She had received death threats well in advance of the article you are refferring to.

You could give Mr English a run for he's money with the old facts ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

I think you will find that there is a hell of a lot of people in this thread who are not Rangers fans commenting on it. It really is amazing how when something comes up regarding Rangers I don't see you on complaining about so called tit for tat issues as for no one caring twitter is full of people talking about it and Stokes cared enough when he threatened English with legal action. And as this is an Irish board people certainly care when the Journalist who originally broke the story received death threats.

Hey, thats unfair, I have in the past complained about threads on the Rangers situation and the highjacking of those threads in the same way! A hell of a lot of people who are not Rangers fans? I think I can count about 3 or 4 but the majority of reply's are from Rangers fans imo! Twitter, who gives a damn what the idiots on twitter talk about? - I still say 'in Scotland' no one give a monkey's fart what Stokes gets up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Another misrepresentation of the truth for BBE.

The journalist who wrote about the commemoration night in the Submarine Bar has written at least a dozen articles on Alan Ryan et al and the one where she mentioned Stokes was present at the function was the most recent of those, She had received death threats well in advance of the article you are refferring to.

You could give Mr English a run for he's money with the old facts ;)
    Is it any more a misrepresentation than you saying it was a made up story.
    I also read it asshe had received more since she wrote that piece but hey what's a death threat here or there. It's no secret thatStokes and his family were friends of a two bit gangster posingasa republican. Sorry if I don't see anything redeeming in him

Madam wrote: »

Hey, thats unfair, I have in the past complained about threads on the Rangers situation and the highjacking of those threads in the same way! A hell of a lot of people who are not Rangers fans? I think I can count about 3 or 4 but the majority of reply's are from Rangers fans imo! Twitter, who gives a damn what the idiots on twitter talk about? - I still say 'in Scotland' no one give a monkey's fart what Stokes gets up too.
    Good for you
    I reckon your arthimatic is out though ;)

• Advertisement

Is it any more a misrepresentation than you saying it was a made up story.
    I also read it asshe had received more since she wrote that piece but hey what's a death threat here or there. It's no secret thatStokes and his family were friends of a two bit gangster posingasa republican. Sorry if I don't see anything redeeming in him

Who said it was a made up story, nobody has denied Anthony Stokes was present at the function.

She has also received more death threats since she had a sandwich in O'Briens last week, are all employees there in danger of loosing their jobs aswell??

Stokes has never denied he was a friend of Alan Ryan, hardly a redeeming feature but hardly a criminal offence either.

As I have repeatedly said I don't see anything particularly redeeming in Stoke either but that is not the issue here, he has not done anything wrong in this instance plain and simple.

Who said it was a made up story, nobody has denied Anthony Stokes was present at the function.

She has also received more death threats since she had a sandwich in O'Briens last week, are all employees there in danger of loosing their jobs aswell??

Stokes has never denied he was a friend of Alan Ryan, hardly a redeeming feature but hardly a criminal offence either.

As I have repeatedly said I don't see anything particularly redeeming in Stoke either but that is not the issue here, he has not done anything wrong in this instance plain and simple.

I think a few posts back you mentioned a made up story. I honestly find it pathetic that you think death threats are amusing.
    As for Stokes we will have to agree to disagree

I think a few posts back you mentioned a made up story. I honestly find it pathetic that you think death threats are amusing.
    As for Stokes we will have to agree to disagree

I never said it was a made up story.

Where did I say death threats were amusing, I said the death threats have nothing to do with this story or Stokes, seriously have you actually lost the ability to comprehend basic English, I recall a time when it was possible to have a reasoned conversation with you.

Fair enough we'll agree to disagree on Stokes you obviously feel he is particularly redeeming, I dont. ;)

Like I said before I am not exactly a fan of the guy and he's future is pretty uncertain at Celtic but that has fcuk all to do with this made up story.

Well I have either read your post wrongly or you have put that on by mistake.

That seems to me your making light of death threats but of course I will be wrong again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

So we're all happy that we're mixing sport with politics in this thread?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Forgot the politics what about Elvis impressionists?
    Celtic's striker Anthony Stokes has been arrested in connection with an alleged assault on an Elvis impersonator.

The Republic of Ireland player is being questioned by police in Dublin following an incident at a nightclub that took place in June after the World Cup qualifier against the Faroe Islands.

According to the Irish Independent, police decided not to arrest the 25-year-old before Saturday's sell-out friendly between Celtic and Liverpool but have subsequently questioned him.

During a visit home this summer, it was alleged that Stokes had been involved in an assault at Buck Whaley's nightclub on Leeson Street, Dublin.

The Elvis impersonator, 42-year-old Anthony Bradley, was treated for a suspected broken nose and chipped teeth following an incident in the nightclub.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Celtic's striker Anthony Stokes has been arrested in connection with an alleged assault on an Elvis impersonator.

The Republic of Ireland player is being questioned by police in Dublin following an incident at a nightclub that took place in June after the World Cup qualifier against the Faroe Islands.

According to the Irish Independent, police decided not to arrest the 25-year-old before Saturday's sell-out friendly between Celtic and Liverpool but have subsequently questioned him.

During a visit home this summer, it was alleged that Stokes had been involved in an assault at Buck Whaley's nightclub on Leeson Street, Dublin.

The Elvis impersonator, 42-year-old Anthony Bradley, was treated for a suspected broken nose and chipped teeth following an incident in the nightclub.

So was he arrested or voluntary answered questions to the guards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Taken from the Indo
    Ireland striker Anthony Stokes will miss two vital Euro 2016 qualifiers in October when he is due to face trial for allegedly head-butting a man in a Dublin nightclub.
    The striker has been charged with assaulting Ballyfermot Elvis impersonator Anthony Bradley, 42, during an alleged row about a spilled drink, at Buck Whaley's, on Leeson Street, on June 8 last year.

Today, at Dublin District Court a book of evidence was served on him by arresting Garda Noel Gibbons.

Judge Michael Walsh told the footballer that he was now being returned for trial to the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court where he is to face his next hearing on October 10 next - the day before Ireland face Gibraltar in the European qualifiers and four days before the trip to Germany.

Stokes, brought back into the Ireland squad under the new management team of martin O'Neill and Roy Keane after being ousted by Giovanni Trapattoni, will now miss both games.

Advertisement