Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic wardens happy a great time in Cork

Options
  • 02-12-2012 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

Was taking a walk through town(city) this afternoon "SUNDAY" when I saw the traffic wardens having a royal er on Corn Market Street,they were like pigs in s**t,they must have put tickets on 20 to 30 cars that were parked on the footpath across from the Garda station.
    Also along Grattan Street they were handing them out,and in Share street.
    And they wonder why people are not shopping in the city center.
    Those in city hall will have a nice cash haul from today's activity's

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

cars that were parked on the footpath

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Was taking a walk through town(city) this afternoon "SUNDAY" when I saw the traffic wardens having a royal er on Corn Market Street,they were like pigs in s**t,they must have put tickets on 20 to 30 cars that were parked on the footpath across from the Garda station.
    Also along Grattan Street they were handing them out,and in Share street.
    And they wonder why people are not shopping in the city center.
    Those in city hall will have a nice cash haul from today's activity's
    If they were giving tickets to cars parked on a footpath then im delighted they are doing their jobs, too much inconsiderate parking going on when there are plenty of car parks around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

If they were giving tickets to cars parked on a footpath then im delighted they are doing their jobs, too much inconsiderate parking going on when there are plenty of car parks around the place.

Agreed. Parking on footpaths is dangerous and inconsiderate. People with disabilities/kids/buggies etc then can't use the footpath.

Also, parking on a corner or double yellows is still illegal on a Sunday - amazing how many people don't seem to realise this.

There's enough free parking around on Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Spudzzmurphy

I know parking on a foot path is wrong per say,but this footpath is the size of a big play area, more like a island in the middle of the road,,and these cars were not interfering with anyone or anything,people park there on a regular basis with no problems that I could see,but now that the Christmas shopping has started so too has this carry on by the city council:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Yeah, it's not a typical 'footpath', more like an open plaza. I'd rather it was used for something other than parking (market or fair stalls etc.) but I do have sympathy for anyone wanting to drive into the city for shopping. It's no wonder the out-of-city shopping centres are doing so well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I remember when you could just drive your car through the front window of the shop.

It's PC gone mad these days the way they make you park in parking spaces.

who_me wrote: »
    Yeah, it's not a typical 'footpath', more like an open plaza. I'd rather it was used for something other than parking (market or fair stalls etc.) but I do have sympathy for anyone wanting to drive into the city for shopping. It's no wonder the out-of-city shopping centres are doing so well.

market or fair stalls etc.
    It is used for the above on a weekly basis,but this is a big area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

So is Fitzgerald park. Sure why not park there. No sympathy for people who park illegally on a footpath no matter how big it is. Go pay in a car park like everyone else or don't bring the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I live across from there so we see this every weekend. How someone hasn't been killed yet is a mystery, drivers will back out without checking whats around them.

It's not unusual for the parking to be so dense that people with disabilities can't get past - last weekend an old woman in a wheel chair couldn't get from the pedestrian - I've seen cars parked across the mouth of the pedestrian crossing itself which was lethal when the lights were off - crossing up to the north main street direction.

People park in front of the businesses and blocked off the Leathershop from opening recently. The cars are also causing damage to the some of the stone which is terrible considering how much that development cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

I see motorists doing whatever they like in Cork, many of whom seem to completely ignorant of the rules of the road. It's all 'mé féin' and no thought for others - no civic responsibility.

I'd favour deflating all tyres of a vehicle rather than parking fines :)

• Advertisement

I live across from there so we see this every weekend. How someone hasn't been killed yet is a mystery, drivers will back out without checking whats around them.

It's not unusual for the parking to be so dense that people with disabilities can't get past - last weekend an old woman in a wheel chair couldn't get from the pedestrian - I've seen cars parked across the mouth of the pedestrian crossing itself which was lethal when the lights were off - crossing up to the north main street direction.

People park in front of the businesses and blocked off the Leathershop from opening recently. The cars are also causing damage to the some of the stone which is terrible considering how much that development cost.
    Points taken !!
    But just let me say that I too live in that area,and have done so for more then forty years,but what I am really getting to is as you say yourself "I live across from there so we see this every weekend".please do bear in mind that there is a Garda station just opposite where these cars park,and in all the time since the area has been redeveloped I have only once seen a Garda put a ticket on a car, and that was for parking next to the pedestrian crossing,other then that they do not put tickets on thease cars.
    What I was really annoyed about yesterday "a Sunday" was to see these traffic wardens around were thay are not normally on a Sunday,in fact as far as I know they do not work on Sundays,a bit of overtime before the hols I am guessing.
    City hall had an agenda yesterday, to catch as many motorists as possible that were in town to do a bit of Christmas shopping,so much for the holiday spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Great to see bad parking penalised
    Hopefully they'll slap a few tickets on cars where the driver stays in a badly parked car for 20 mins while someone else runs in and out of a nearby shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

cars that were parked on the footpath

Stopped reading when I saw that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

The bottom line is, the clampers are no longer around, if they were this problem would not exist.

Its just our Irish mentality, 'ah sur I grand there' no consequencies etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

What I was really annoyed about yesterday "a Sunday" was to see these traffic wardens around were thay are not normally on a Sunday,in fact as far as I know they do not work on Sundays,a bit of overtime before the hols I am guessing.
    City hall had an agenda yesterday, to catch as many motorists as possible that were in town to do a bit of Christmas shopping,so much for the holiday spirit.

Every Sunday the Gards are ticketing, they come out of the Bridewell and do maybe one or two large sweeps - if someone is parked in their access route they're out immediately. People don't realize it because they don't leave tickets. If you're in town for an hour or two then there's a good chance you'll get lucky. It does only seem to be in the run up to Christmas and certain Holidays that Traffic Wardens are out in force. The law doesn't change because it's a Sunday, you don't get to park on footpaths. As for it being a revenue making racket, if the country can levy fines for ignorance and stupidity in regards the law then I don't see a problem. If anything the fines are too light in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭ofcork

I think it must be from december on the wardens are out,personally i dont have a problem with it,i usually head to town on a sunday and maybe get a space on the mall or union quay.The amount of bad parking is crazy double yellows no problem,at the end of the mall in the motorbike spaces is nuts protruding right out into the lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Working in the Mercy for 18 months so far, never before have I been witness to so much awful driving and parking. The area between Grenville Place and Cornmarket street is almost like a twilight zone for motoring with common sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

I like to lunch at the bodega on sundays-as im to lazy to walk i park on the footpath by the door.Saves me time and shoe leather.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Bad bob

blindsider wrote: »

Agreed. Parking on footpaths is dangerous and inconsiderate. People with disabilities/kids/buggies etc then can't use the footpath.

Also, parking on a corner or double yellows is still illegal on a Sunday - amazing how many people don't seem to realise this.

There's enough free parking around on Sundays.
    Absolutely I was in a wheelchair for a while and cars on footpaths were the bain of my life!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Every Sunday the Gards are ticketing, they come out of the Bridewell and do maybe one or two large sweeps - if someone is parked in their access route they're out immediately. People don't realize it because they don't leave tickets. If you're in town for an hour or two then there's a good chance you'll get lucky. It does only seem to be in the run up to Christmas and certain Holidays that Traffic Wardens are out in force. The law doesn't change because it's a Sunday, you don't get to park on footpaths. As for it being a revenue making racket, if the country can levy fines for ignorance and stupidity in regards the law then I don't see a problem. If anything the fines are too light in my opinion.

I've seen this on a Sunday too.
    I was parked on Patrick street waiting for herself and the guards were going along the taxi rank spaces taking regs, but no physical ticket put on vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Markcheese

The bottom line is, the clampers are no longer around, if they were this problem would not exist.

People parked like arseholes on the coal quay and emmet place, the court house, even when the city tow truck was on the go , a few people will chance it , the city do nothing then loads of people chance it , cause a problem the city finally acts ....
    Have been blocked in on the coal quay, had my stall literally driven over as I dismantled it ( luckily no major damage) and been worried about customer safety as morons manover... Mind you the coal quay's a crap street ... 4million spent and it's no good as a Market place, no good as parking , no good for traffic no good for shopping and shops and sh1te for pedestrians, a marvel of urban design

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭JessePinkman

Cars illegally parked should rightly be ticketed

• Registered Users Posts: 17,025 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I actually wrote to the city council about that newly developed area being used as a car park ages ago.
    Glad to see them finally do something about it.

They eventually blocked off access onto the foot path in Emmet Place too, preventing people using the foot path there as a weekend car park too.

Better late than never.

Now if they would only do something about about the parking free for all on a Sunday morning on Pope's Quay and John Redmond Street where people park on double yellow lines, in cycle lanes, in disabled spots (without permits) and even park two abreast in the middle of the road - ah but we couldn't be giving people tickets while at mass now, could we?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,025 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Markcheese wrote: »

People parked like arseholes on the coal quay and emmet place, the court house, even when the city tow truck was on the go , a few people will chance it , the city do nothing then loads of people chance it , cause a problem the city finally acts ....
    Have been blocked in on the coal quay, had my stall literally driven over as I dismantled it ( luckily no major damage) and been worried about customer safety as morons manover... Mind you the coal quay's a crap street ... 4million spent and it's no good as a Market place, no good as parking , no good for traffic no good for shopping and shops and sh1te for pedestrians, a marvel of urban design
    oh it's wonderful now - feck all cheese, though since somebody abandoned the market:mad::mad::mad:
    Do come back!

Advertisement