Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nursing/mature applicant help please

Options
  • 02-12-2012 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

im applying to ucd nursing as a mature student but have a few questions.

it wasnt mentioned to me on the opening day, but ive sen a few on here mention it. do i need a personal statement? does it go with my cao application?

ive been unemployed a while but i should be entitled to back to education allowance is that right?

do many get in to nurseing on mature applications? what are the c hances of getting a place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

No you don't need a personal statement for mature nursing. Assessment is on the basis of the written tests in April. You apply both to the CAO and you also have to register for this assessmnet test between the 15th of February and 5th of March. You register via : http://www.publicjobs.ie

If you have been on social welfare for at least 9 months or 234 days before the course starts you may get BTEA.

Approximately 15 places are reserved for Mature applicants across the Integrated Children's and General nursing programmes. This is about 15% of the total numbers.
    In general nursing the number of mature places is again 15% of the total number which works out at about 130 places. Midwifery reserves about 28 places or 20% of the total number.
    Intellectual Disability and Psychiatric nursing reserves about 35% of places for Mature applicants.
    Mature application is very competitive but not impossible.

The Nursing Careers Center do a great little booklet that goes through all of the information on applying for Nursing. You can look at it online here: http://www.nursingboard.ie/en/careers.aspx (scroll down to the link) or you can order a copy from 01 639 8500

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

thank you so much!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 stevie44

The test to get in is not that hard but you are working against the clock so if you are going to be doing some practice you should also be trying to do it as close to what it is like doing the exam and so as quickly as possible. There is a section which asks you about what experience you may have had with caring for others and things like that but there is no interview anymore so if you don't mind being 'liberal' with the truth then you could lie your ass off! I didn't lie myself and still got in but the points were a bit closer than I would have liked.

Advertisement