Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FA CUP Thread

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

2ndcoming wrote: »
    He pointed out it was 2 nil alright, after the travelling Spurs fans had decided it was alright to rain him with coins and bottles. Pretty tame response in fairness.

I'm not defending the Spurs fans at all, I've never thrown as much as a shape on a pitch. But what the hell were the FA doing putting an NLD on at 5.30pm?!

All NLDs in the Premier League are at 12.30 - less boozing time. The FA were just waiting for carnage by putting it on at 5.30pm. Probably trying to get the FA Cup a few more headlines. Stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I'm not defending the Spurs fans at all, I've never thrown as much as a shape on a pitch. But what the hell were the FA doing putting an NLD on at 5.30pm?!

All NLDs in the Premier League are at 12.30 - less boozing time. The FA were just waiting for carnage by putting it on at 5.30pm. Probably trying to get the FA Cup a few more headlines. Stupid.

Have to agree with that. Was over there and the atmosphere all day around North London was tense, heavy police presence on the streets and they were checking pubs for known troublemakers. Didn't see any actual trouble though thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

What's the timeline on this ?

Did he react to coins being thrown or were the coins thrown as a result of the gesture ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

What's the timeline on this ?

Did he react to coins being thrown or were the coins thrown as a result of the gesture ?

Spurs fans were calling him a [EMAIL="w@nker"]w@nker[/EMAIL] and gesturing something along those lines.
    He stupidly jeered them back by pointing out it was 2-0.
    Spurs fans started throwing coins etc.

Throwing stuff at players is disgraceful, Walcott should have known better but the Spurs fans should receive lifetime bans. Same goes for the Arsenal fans that have been tweeting about Yids being gassed etc. Also, the FA moved the game to 530 for TV purposes, they should have known better too.

At the end of the day Walcott won't make the WHL fixture but if we go 2-0 up the song will ring out in good nature. As a Spurs fan I have a natural but healthy dislike for Arsenal players and unlike some of them Walcott always seems like a decent young fella. I feel for any player who missus the World Cup (x2). Silver lining is maybe room for two Spurs wingers in Lennon and Townsend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Spurs fans were calling him a w@nker and gesturing something along those lines.
    He stupidly jeered them back by pointing out it was 2-0.
    Spurs fans started throwing coins etc.

Throwing stuff at players is disgraceful, Walcott should have known better but the Spurs fans should receive lifetime bans. Same goes for the Arsenal fans that have been tweeting about Yids being gassed etc. Also, the FA moved the game to 530 for TV purposes, they should have known better too.

At the end of the day Walcott won't make the WHL fixture but if we go 2-0 up the song will ring out in good nature. As a Spurs fan I have a natural but healthy dislike for Arsenal players and unlike some of them Walcott always seems like a decent young fella. I feel for any player who missus the World Cup (x2). Silver lining is maybe room for two Spurs wingers in Lennon and Townsend.

There were coins thrown at Walcott as he was lying injured on the ground before he made any gesture. Don't deflect from that - You can see the pictures of it happening. The coins around him are also gathered up by the medical people. Therefore I thought his non aggressive gesture was well within his rights given the actions of some of the buffoons in the crowd.

There were coins thrown at Walcott as he was lying injured on the ground before he made any gesture. Don't deflect from that - You can see the pictures of it happening. The coins around him are also gathered up by the medical people. Therefore I thought his non aggressive gesture was well within his rights given the actions of some of the buffoons in the crowd.

Taunting the opposition fans is far from a non aggressive gesture, if he did it during the match he'd have been carded

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Taunting the opposition fans is far from a non aggressive gesture, if he did it during the match he'd have been carded

I think that's the point, he didn't taunt anyone prior to the injury, he reacted to having the coins thrown at him while he was lying on the ground injured.

All clubs have an element of ar5eholes in the ranks of their supporters, but that is pretty classless in fairness. I'd be just as much in favour of bans for anyone tweeting anti-semitic taunts. I'd say (or at least I'd hope) the majority of both groups are probably in the 15-20 age group, on both sides.

There were coins thrown at Walcott as he was lying injured on the ground before he made any gesture. Don't deflect from that - You can see the pictures of it happening.

I stand corrected so. Watching the match it looked to have happened after the 2-0 gesturing. Can you link me a picture?
    2ndcoming wrote: »
    I think that's the point, he didn't taunt anyone prior to the injury, he reacted to having the coins thrown at him while he was lying on the ground injured.

I'd say (or at least I'd hope) the majority of both groups are probably in the 15-20 age group, on both sides.

Yep, theres no excuse for it. And I'd guess mindless thuggery has no age limit. Off point but the one that boggles me the most is seeing grown women in the stands gesturing to players and calling them [EMAIL="w@nkers"]w@nkers[/EMAIL], real classy birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

The coins were thrown at him before any of his gestures as seen in the below picture. Totally unacceptable throwing objects at an injured played who had unprovoked any response from the fans at that stage, along with some horrible chants about his expecting wife.

BdPjbTLCYAEKqv4.png

• Advertisement

Raf32 wrote: »
    The coins were thrown at him before any of his gestures as seen in the below picture. Totally unacceptable throwing objects at an injured played who had unprovoked any response from the fans at that stage, along with some horrible chants about his expecting wife.

Fair enough, didn't see that at the time of watching. Didn't hear any chants about his expecting wife. Can't have been any worse than Arsenal fans singing about Adebayors Togo team mates being shot? Chants are chants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I actually don't mind chants. As long they are not racist, which is illegal, then most of them are fine.

That particular section of Spurs fans reminded me of the zombie from the Walking Dead when they trying to break through a tall fence.

They should be banned, as should any Arsenal fan who throws an object.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

What did Theo expect the Spurs fans to do once he made that gesture? Start throwing roses at him instead of coins?

Not condoning the section of spurs fans but it was silly fueling the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

cathalio11 wrote: »
    I actually don't mind chants. As long they are not racist, which is illegal, then most of them are fine.

That particular section of Spurs fans reminded me of the zombie from the Walking Dead when they trying to break through a tall fence.

They should be banned, as should any Arsenal fan who throws an object.

Yupp chants are part and parcel of football, but throwing objects is not and therefore should lead to bans for anybody found guilty from any group of supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

irishmover wrote: »
    What did Theo expect the Spurs fans to do once he made that gesture? Start throwing roses at him instead of coins?

Not condoning the section of spurs fans but it was silly fueling the fire.

Also very true, granted there were coins thrown at him on the ground he would have been better advised to let the authorities deal with it and not fuel the fire. Idiots like coin throwers do not need further provocation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I hope the Law catches up with them guys,that's disgraceful.

To be honest I think Twitter is a load of boll0x and Twitter-related stories is just lazy journalism. I'm not racist, but so what if some drunk 12-year old makes some silly comments which he will regret when we wakes up? Maybe his mates knicked his phone and wrote it? Just because it is coded and written on the internet, does that make it a reference point to be quoted?

I refuse to read any journalist who references Twitter in their articles. Twitter has just given a voice to idiots. It's no coincidence that the most popular people on Twitter (Kim Kardashian et al.) are also the most vacuous and stupid.

Rant over. Let's not give that anti-semitic Twitter comment story any more air.

To be honest I think Twitter is a load of boll0x and Twitter-related stories is just lazy journalism. I'm not racist, but so what if some drunk 12-year old makes some silly comments which he will regret when we wakes up? Maybe his mates knicked his phone and wrote it? Just because it is coded and written on the internet, does that make it a reference point to be quoted?

I refuse to read any journalist who references Twitter in their articles. Twitter has just given a voice to idiots. It's no coincidence that the most popular people on Twitter (Kim Kardashian et al.) are also the most vacuous and stupid.

Rant over. Let's not give that anti-semitic Twitter comment story any more air.

Twitter is a news source, like it or not, this is modern media. They weren't the only ones to go with the story, all other media have it too. So you reckon anti semitic tweets about the holocaust shouldn't be investigated as it's only Twitter, it's most likely just teens having a laugh

Twitter is a news source, like it or not, this is modern media. They weren't the only ones to go with the story, all other media have it too. So you reckon anti semitic tweets about the holocaust shouldn't be investigated as it's only Twitter, it's most likely just teens having a laugh

I'm saying Twitter, as purely a social media website, should not be a news source. Any journalist who uses it for references/quotes is quickly ignored. You rarely see quotes of people's Facebook statuses in the news.

As it is a social media website, it is up to Twitter to impose bans on users who use racist slurs. Governments should only be dealing with Twitter (fines etc.) and not individual users.

When asked whether he thought he should have played more midfielders to match Wenger's line-up, the Tottenham boss said: "No.

"They outnumbered us in the middle of the park but we outnumbered them out wide. They can't have it all ways. I think we were fine.

"We didn't lose the game because we were outnumbered in the middle of the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

When asked whether he thought he should have played more midfielders to match Wenger's line-up, the Tottenham boss said: "No.

"They outnumbered us in the middle of the park but we outnumbered them out wide. They can't have it all ways. I think we were fine.

"We didn't lose the game because we were outnumbered in the middle of the pitch.

Tactics ain't his strong point :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

random post here but I can't believe it has been 23 years since Spurs last won the FA Cup! What happened to us being a cup side!?

Advertisement