Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FA CUP Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

have to say a few things on the match today:
    1. We need another striker
    2. Dawson should have started
    3. Huddlestone must have been replaced by some sort of changeling
    4. Parker isn't good enough... this I feel needs to be elaborated on a little. He has a great engine and will stick a foot in where it matters, but his technical ability is extremely limited. He struggles to complete a forward pass, his touch is way below par, i have never seen him beat a player. For me he is nowhere near the standard that should be expected by us, but because he runs around alot he is lauded by some (just like freund used to be).
    5.How brown stayed on the pitch is disgraceful. He lifted Naughton out of it, blatantly kneed parker in the back, and then in the last min finally got booked for a ridiculous 'tackle' on parker.
    6. We are screwed without sandro

thats really it... rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

mickman wrote: »
    I hope all the people here that keep calling for youth etc now realise that it's not the answer

How do you know? One youth players bad performance means that our entire youth aren't up to it and not the answer?

Isn't that fcuking worrying to every Spurs fan if that's true, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Emoran

have to say a few things on the match today:
    1. We need another striker
    2. Dawson should have started
    3. Huddlestone must have been replaced by some sort of changeling
    4. Parker isn't good enough... this I feel needs to be elaborated on a little. He has a great engine and will stick a foot in where it matters, but his technical ability is extremely limited. He struggles to complete a forward pass, his touch is way below par, i have never seen him beat a player. For me he is nowhere near the standard that should be expected by us, but because he runs around alot he is lauded by some (just like freund used to be).
    5.How brown stayed on the pitch is disgraceful. He lifted Naughton out of it, blatantly kneed parker in the back, and then in the last min finally got booked for a ridiculous 'tackle' on parker.
    6. We are screwed without sandro

thats really it... rant over

Fitting username ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

irishmover wrote: »
    How do you know? One youth players bad performance means that our entire youth aren't up to it and not the answer?

Isn't that fcuking worrying to every Spurs fan if that's true, no?

Obika is generally considered one of the only ones that has "had" potential. 4 loan spells at least and still no closer to being good enough.

I actually agreed with avb's lineup yesterday - we have a huge game away to norwich mid week and the team he put out should have been good enough.

Huddlestone just has to be sold - he has to go. He offers nothing at all now - he is shocking to watch. These few long passes he makes are just not enough return

People are having a go at parker saying he isnt good enough - i disagree. He is good enough, maybe not quite as good as sandro because sandro is prob the best player in the league in that position but very capable nonetheless. In fact he was the one player who was getting forward against leeds.

we are out of fa cup - still in for 4th and still in europa. Time to drive on!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Obika is generally considered one of the only ones that has "had" potential. 4 loan spells at least and still no closer to being good enough.

Well that's just Obika. That's not the entire youth setup though. There are other players who are worthy of a callup. I'm not so sure we'd be having this discussion if Coulthirst was in instead of Obika. I honestly was surprised by Obika's addition.

As I said, if Obika is our demonstration of our youth setup and you don't want youth in the first team then sack Tim Sherwood and anyone else associated with the youth teams and all the youth players because whats the point in having them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

You have to give the youth lads more of a chance. 1 game here and there isnt going to tell you anything.

Just look at the arsenal approach - they've blooded whole teams of youth players in cup games over recent years - and they've had games where the whole team tore up the opposition and the media were raving about them and in thr next game they where getting their arses handed to them, then they'd bounce back and so on and so fourth, but its produced some cracking players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

As soon as I saw the starting line-up yesterday I instantly knew how high on AVB's preference list the FA Cup was - I think this definitely had an effect on the performance. We only had three players in the team which you could say were definite starters since the start of the season (Vergie, Bale and Lennon). BAE and Parker are obviously first teamers too, but weren't 100% match fit and haven't started many games since the start of the season.

Even though we had a 'weakened' team out, we still should have had enough to beat Leeds.

People saying youth isn't the solution are just silly. Just because Jon Obika comes on and doesn't score, you think that youth promotion doesn't work. You do realise that our 'world class' wingers Bale and Lennon couldn't score before Obika came on, does that mean they're useless now too?? I can understand that you might have said it in the heat of the moment, but I'd suggest clarifying/retracting your comments once you've calmed down today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

You can give all the youth a chance if you like but if Thud is in the middle you're fcuked! I can't be too harsh on Obika, he got 30mins and one chance. Would Livermore or Carroll have been a better bet yesterday, at least they're relatively energetic and agile. Huddlestone couldn't press an orange, playing the pressing style doesn't suit him at all and it makes him look even worse because teams target him as our weak link. Parker may have looked poor yesterday but his was essentially putting in the shift of two midfielders.

I hope AVB was using yesterday as a sign to Levy that we need a midfielder and a striker. Shame to go out of the FA Cup but I'd rather go out now and qualify for the CL than go out in the semi's and miss out on CL. Moving on. should be an eventful week.

Just randomly looking at old threads and found threads from 2007/8 when people said Thudd was useless and too slow etc.

Hard to believe he was in the england squad a few years ago.
    He's a talented player but just doesnt cut the mustard in a top 5 team.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The entire team played badly yesterday, so i don't think it's fair being too harsh on Obika. You want to bring on your youth players when you're 2-0 up, and let them enjoy themselves, not when you are losing in a cup tie and have to score. It's a huge amount of pressure to put on any player, never mind one who's never played at the senior level before.

As for the defending, it was a bad day at the office. Probably Vert's worst performance of the season, and Caulker was also poor. Friedel should also have been quicker out for the 1st goal. Standing you ground like that is asking for trouble, and Lloris would have been out and through the attacking player as soon as he got near the goals.

It was a bad game, and it's a shame we are out, but onwards and upwards i say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

Did Obika have any other touches before that chance on 90 mins? Not sure what he offers as this was his first opportunity in the first team but we should never have been in this situation ie having to play a reserve/youth team player in an important cup game. You have to blame Levy. Adebayor was away as everyone knew and we were down to one striker. How can a club with top 4/cup aspirations expect to do well with only one striker in the books. And look at what happened when that one striker gets injured. Leeds were there for the taking but we HAVE NO FORWARDS!!!!!!!!! The chairman has shafted us yet again.

Also, I have been a big fan of Verts so far this season but he was terrible for both goals yesterday. He never tracked back to help Caulker for the second and for the first gaol he never closed down striker. Very odd/lazy choices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Where was Tom Carroll ? He should have started instead of hudd. Watching hudd trying to run around the place is comical im afraid.

Caulker had such a bad game - one high ball came in at end of first half where leeds nearly scored from - caulker was standing behind his man and didnt even jump - he just let the striker head it on. Dawson would have attacked that and cleared it.

Again in the second half , a ball came in and he didnt have a clue what to do with it. He was going to jump and then didnt bother and the ball bounced over him - it was like school boy stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

I didn't see the match at all just the goals on the news. Was their 2nd goal offside? Certianly looked like it.

I thought Brad should have saved it anyway.

Did Obika have any other touches before that chance on 90 mins? Not sure what he offers as this was his first opportunity in the first team but we should never have been in this situation ie having to play a reserve/youth team player in an important cup game. You have to blame Levy. Adebayor was away as everyone knew and we were down to one striker. How can a club with top 4/cup aspirations expect to do well with only one striker in the books. And look at what happened when that one striker gets injured. Leeds were there for the taking but we HAVE NO FORWARDS!!!!!!!!! The chairman has shafted us yet again.

Sure they've been shafting us for years

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055141248

Where was Tom Carroll ? He should have started instead of hudd. Watching hudd trying to run around the place is comical im afraid.

It was, especially the start of the second half, Leeds were playing piggy in the middle with him!:D
    Adebayor was away as everyone knew and we were down to one striker. How can a club with top 4/cup aspirations expect to do well with only one striker in the books. And look at what happened when that one striker gets injured..

What's worse is we knew this was a potential problem months ago, embarrassing.:eek::eek:

562d84ccc99dc3f1576f4e2b48f11c73.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

Class!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Draw is on in a few mins

goons away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Gooners away lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Haha!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Get the big guns out of the way early, nice one.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

At least we'll be on the box for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Gooners, can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Huge game,bring them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

nice chance for bitta revenge after our flop in last NLD

9,000 yids at the library, should be epic!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

9,000 yids at the library, should be epic!

The library could do with some noise in it alright. They won't know what hit them.

Keep it all here lads ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Ah, I forgot about this one!

Advertisement