Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Donedeals ridiculous "too many search terms"

Options
  • 02-12-2012 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭

This is the 3rd time Ive put up a car advert there in the last 6mths and yet again, I cannot post it; thanks to the vague error:
    "Too many search words may confuse other users.
    Please remove some search words (e.g. coup, seat)

Of course it doesnt tell you what the search terms its detected are, so you are left to randomly delete parts of your carefully constructed 1000character advert. This is insane, what sort of woeful system forces uses to work around their own search term limits!? Imagine the uproar if eBay did something so overtly anti-Seller, its moronic.

Ive emailed them before about this, but just wanted to highlight it here as a reminder to voice your frustration (and um I guess to vent) to them. Now back to purposely misspelling words and breaking sentences by random deletion to be allowed pay them to host my ad...

The next time you see a Donedeal advert with woeful spelling and not enough info, this is why, sellers arent allowed to make detailed or good adverts. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

I listed an ad for a Golf, and in the ad I said full Volkswagen service history. I got the same message.

I changed the ad so it said full main dealer service history and it accepted the change no problem.

Looks like they've put some sort of stupid/lazy filter on it that won't let you name a make of car.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Its probably a measure to prevent all the ****wits who list every model under the sun on their ads. Not exactly ideal but DD is nigh on unusable because of the carry on of these idiots, so they had to do something I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

djimi wrote: »
    Its probably a measure to prevent all the ****wits who list every model under the sun on their ads. Not exactly ideal but DD is nigh on unusable because of the carry on of these idiots, so they had to do something I suppose.

There are a ton of better options to tackle this problem, literally dozens of real easy and sensible stuff from specific limited user input tags per advert to simply having a more accurate search algorithm on the backend.

Im not saying I dont know why they did it, Im saying what they did is very close to being unusable, in the grand scheme of things this is a major painpoint for their customers, such things have a very definite cost to a marketplace business.
    AltAccount wrote: »
    I
    Looks like they've put some sort of stupid/lazy filter on it that won't let you name a make of car.
    Naming the make of your car in a car advert is a luxury I guess.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭carefull now!

I had the same putting my Honda jazz up for sale, there also known as fit but when I put this in it was "too many search terms" yet iv seen ads posted after mine that are full of every known car model listed at the bottom of the ad! It really puts you off using the site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

Use different webpage for ads? They get revenue from sellers so this would really hurt them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement