Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Set up regular international payment

Options
  • 02-12-2012 8:29pm
    Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have regular payments (car payment and soon to be student loan repayments) that have to be made from my bank accounts in the UK. As I only earn money in Ireland I get paid (obviously) into my irish accounts.

At the moment I am manually transferring this money every month but it's a bit of a hassle to do it and always remember.

Is it possible to set this up as an automatic payment? Looking at AIB online it looks like standing orders can only be set up with account num / sort code and not IBAN and BIC?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

Not possible as far as I know. It wasn't in the past anyway, unless things have changed in the last few years...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

roro2 wrote: »
    Not possible as far as I know. It wasn't in the past anyway, unless things have changed in the last few years...

This is Irish banks we are talking about, mostly still using methods common in the 19th Century.

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Well that sucks. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Assuming you are sending sterling, it's not that surprising as you have to be involved to agree the exchange rate each time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

MadsL wrote: »
    This is Irish banks we are talking about, mostly still using methods common in the 19th Century.

I don't think you can blame Irish banks as I have a feeling most foreign banks to permit international standing orders either.

For one thing, someone could set up one, the account abroad could close (or even internal restructuring like a sort code abroad could change), and each month a payment goes into the black hole of a bank's suspense account.

Op's best option is to set a reminder in google calendar or similar, and transfer a larger amount once a quarter instead (if they can afford to).

• Advertisement
Advertisement