Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local sports projects to receive €593,250 in funding - CMod Note in Post 14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭decies

I hope they give the Waterford Wolves American football team a pitch!!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭doublejj

how is this money allocated

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

doublejj wrote: »

You need to apply and I assume you say how much in the application you need. Could be a case where you raise some and they give you the rest, which would be normal enough for funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

doublejj wrote: »

One would really have to question this, while its good to see local clubs and organisations getting some funding from the below it appears the same old story re ministers looking after their own ahead of others remains the same regardless of which party is in power
    The Minister for Sport has defended a decision to give his local soccer club a €200,000 grant.

Westport United Community Soccer Club in Co Mayo was named as one of a number of clubs around the country to benefit from a Department of Sport grant scheme.

Fianna Fáil has told the Irish Daily Mail that there needs to be more transparency about how the money was allocated, because (the party claims) it appears Fine Gael-lobbied projects were given priority.

But Minister Michael Ring has hit back, saying his local club deserved the money and he stands over the decision "100%".

"I did this as fairly as I could do it," he said. "Did I give my own (constituency) more than anyone else? No. I spread it around the country and around the sports as best I could.

The ministers local club gets a grant which amounts to just over 1/3 of the total funding received by clubs/organisations here. Hmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Sully wrote: »
    Some good news for local Sports Clubs. The Government has announced €593,250 for sports clubs in Waterford under the Sports Capital Grant Scheme for next year. Numerous clubs in Waterford will benefit, as will many others right across the country.

Source: http://thescore.thejournal.ie/local-sports-projects-698761-Dec2012/

http://www.dttas.ie/uploads/documents/news/Sports%20Capital%20Programme%20Local%20Projects.pdf

While Kilkenny received €596,700. And Mayo gets €777,000. Along with a staggering €906,000 for Wexford. Some things never change.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

Pork-Barrel Politics. Things will never change. The majority of our politicians are cut from the same cloth....:mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

For the love of god, can we not have any discussion without it going off on a tangent? If you want to have a rant on how much others got and how they shouldn't have, go to the Politics forum. If you want to engage in a meaningful constructive discussion on what Waterford received (just Waterford) - fire away.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

Sully wrote: »
    For the love of god, can we not have any discussion without it going off on a tangent? If you want to have a rant on how much others got and how they shouldn't have, go to the Politics forum. If you want to engage in a meaningful constructive discussion on what Waterford received (just Waterford) - fire away.

Ah come on sully..the way i and id say im not the only one interpret yer opening post was the usual "look how much this great fine gael led government are looking after waterford" sh*te. Til ye realise every county is getting the same and in most cases more. When people point out some glaring facts and give their opinions on them then ye get all up in a heap. Are you sleeping with some of these ministers?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Is it just my cynicism that makes me wonder why this stuff is announced a few days before the budget?

Politicians and their cheerleaders think we're stupid.

Here Waterford.. Have a half mil. Here Anglo.. Have.. ?????

Teebor15 wrote: »
    Ah come on sully..the way i and id say im not the only one interpret yer opening post was the usual "look how much this great fine gael led government are looking after waterford" sh*te. Til ye realise every county is getting the same and in most cases more. When people point out some glaring facts and give their opinions on them then ye get all up in a heap. Are you sleeping with some of these ministers?!!

A good news story and positive news for Waterford deserves a mention. Plenty of the clubs getting money badly needed it for a longtime now and deserve the investment. Yes other places are getting the same or more depending on their requirements and yes many others lost out.

If Waterford was left out, there would be a thread moaning just to be negative. There may have been one because Kilkenny got a small bit more than Waterford but I wanted to get a thread open with a positive theme - many of the local clubs couldn't give two ****s what party did this, but are delighted with the investment.

We have had loads of complaints recently that the mods are not doing enough to stamp out negativity, the abuse in some of the political threads and the constant derailing of threads often with political agendas. It has resulted in CMods taking a more active role in moderation and reviewing of the forum. It was agreed that more of an effort to tackle this would happen.
    Trotter wrote: »
    Is it just my cynicism that makes me wonder why this stuff is announced a few days before the budget?

Politicians and their cheerleaders think we're stupid.

Here Waterford.. Have a half mil. Here Anglo.. Have.. ?????

Some smaller investments were made towards Waterford throughout the year, were reported in local media a little and left at that. This is part of a large chunk of funding and has been moderately reported in the media.

Nothing to do with making the budget sound better - a bit of a silly suggestion to think the government cant allocate funding in the lead up to a budget for fear of it looking like its trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes. If anything, announcing it after a budget (which was done under previous administrations) could suggest easing of the pain. A budget announcement either side that is harsh and cutting people will never be disguised by positive funding announcements.

• Advertisement

Sully I find some of your language ('silly') when anyone criticises your party condescending.

Trotter wrote: »
    Sully I find some of your language ('silly') when anyone criticises your party condescending.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but it isn't my intention. I criticise Fine Gael all the time on various issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Cmod Note:

Frankly I am getting very fed up with a lot of the negativity & baiting of mods on this forum. From my point of view this was started as a genuinely positive thread about a bit of good luck for local sports organizations.

The thread was then hijacked & needlessly politicized by a couple of posters. I see this as baiting of the OP & low level trolling. Mark my words - I see this as being disruptive to the forum as a whole & if it continues I will remove the access privileges of any posters who persist in posting in this manner.

Final warning - stop going off-topic & needlessly politicizing threads.

@KevIRL & 7upfree - do not post in this thread again.
    @Trotter - If you have a problem with a post then use the report post function. Stay on-topic.

Please PM me if you wish to discuss further.

tHB

While I welcome the funding, I mean any funding is great to receive, I do deplore the timing of the funding. It would seem though that this is off topic, and for reasons I have discussed in PM with the mods, I won't be posting for a while. I think being critical of the timing of this given the background of other decisions effecting Waterford is valid. I think much more credit should be given in general to those people who give massive amounts of time in clubs to scrape the funds together to keep clubs alive. Slán

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

No surprise that Abbeyside/Ballinacourty got a big grant, Just surprised Portlaw GAA didn't get one too.

I'm remember Cappoquin community centre & Tourin GAA doing very well from Ollie Wilkinson's term as a TD.

Sad that things are still like this in Irish politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

comeraghs wrote: »
    No surprise that Abbeyside/Ballinacourty got a big grant, Just surprised Portlaw GAA didn't get one too.

I'm remember Cappoquin community centre & Tourin GAA doing very well from Ollie Wilkinson's term as a TD.

Sad that things are still like this in Irish politics.

Portlaw GAA - €45,000.00 :rolleyes:

Advertisement