Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bullying In Schools

• 02-12-2012 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

I'm on my schools student council and we really want to do something to highlight bullying in schools this year since it is in the media so much lately. I was just wondering what other schools do to fight bullying and what sort of anti- bullying policy's your schools have? Any ideas on what ye think works and gets through to students is appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 childcare5

I'm on my schools student council and we really want to do something to highlight bullying in schools this year since it is in the media so much lately. I was just wondering what other schools do to fight bullying and what sort of anti- bullying policy's your schools have? Any ideas on what ye think works and gets through to students is appreciated. Thanks

bullies do be made apoliges in front of the school

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭ConorCBS

childcare5 wrote: »

That's just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Haha. Are you serious? That would be hilarious

ConorCBS wrote: »
    That's just ridiculous.
    why is it when it worked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭ConorCBS

why is it when it worked

It worked in your school?

• Advertisement

it is funny

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Restorative justice is a good approach at secondary level.

ConorCBS wrote: »
    It worked in your school?
    it did on a few bullies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

it can't be stopped. bullies will forever victimize others, so it's an exercise of futility in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

it can't be stopped. bullies will forever victimize others, so it's an exercise of futility in my opinion.

I agree, but I don't understand why schools can't have stricter consequences for those who do bully such as expulsion.

• Advertisement

I agree, but I don't understand why schools can't have stricter consequences for those who do bully such as expulsion.

I concur with you completely. there isn't really an effective method to stop them demonizing others, except punishing them severely.

ya ur right.. im a victim of bullying

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

Yes we can not get rid of bullying completely, but that doesn't mean we should stop trying all together. I agree that bully's should be further punished, but one of the biggest problems of bullying is getting victims to speak out, how are you supposed to punish a bully if you don't even know they are acting like a bully?

Yes we can not get rid of bullying completely, but that doesn't mean we should stop trying all together. I agree that bully's should be further punished, but one of the biggest problems of bullying is getting victims to speak out, how are you supposed to punish a bully if you don't even know they are acting like a bully?

I don't mean to sound harsh but that's the victim's problem then if they refuse to speak out.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

I don't mean to sound harsh but that's the victim's problem then if they refuse to speak out.

It's usually not that they refuse to speak out though, most of the time they are afraid to speak out, if they know that the school is not going to do a whole lot for them, to make sure the bullying stops then they aren't going to speak out because the bullying would undoubtly become worse.

I'm really just trying to find out how other schools deal with bullying now, like i said before we can't get rid of it, but if we can give one victim the courage to speak out then we have made a difference

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Contact the anti-bullying centre in Trinity.
    They have fantastic resources.
    http://www.abc.tcd.ie/

Your school staff should have an anti-bullying team who have probably already been in touch with Trinity. Talk to them.

some victims are afaraid tho of it been made worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

There's an interesting case of bullying in my school. 3 foreign lads go to one class. One of them is really small, and the other two are pretty big and do boxing. The small one is getting bullied by the whole year, the other 2 are completely fine. Anyways, he's moving school if it doesn't change.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

mixery wrote: »
    There's an interesting case of bullying in my school. 3 foreign lads go to one class. One of them is really small, and the other two are pretty big and do boxing. The small one is getting bullied by the whole year, the other 2 are completely fine. Anyways, he's moving school if it doesn't change.

Why are your school authorities not doing anything about it?
    They have a legal obligation to look after the health and safety of everyone in the building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

It takes time. Providing all the names wasn't enough.

• Advertisement

If I was that child's parents I'd have a solicitor's letter in. That would speed them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Azuraiii

Our Students Council are doing an anti-bullying awareness campaign.
    We have recieved alot of media coverage lately. Fm104, newstalk, the sun & the examiner.

Follow our twitter. https://twitter.com/DrimnaghCastle or Facebook www.facebook.com/DrimnaghCastleSCS for updates and ideas we have planned.

Advertisement