Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm looking for a free (or very cheap) place that does STI screenings w. quick result

Options
  • 02-12-2012 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Basically as the title says.
    I'm looking for somewhere I can get tested with little to no fee.
    And I'm also looking for somewhere without a giant gap of time between when I go and the results delivery.
    Anyone know? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dogonegreat

Do you happen to know how long it takes for results to come back?
    I'd love it if I found somewhere that gave results back in the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Nowhere can do same day results. Most STI screenings will take at least a week. Viral tests could take longer, up to two weeks, due to the nature of the testing process, and that there is only one viral testing lab in the country.

Usually doctors will decide, based on your case, whether you need urgent or routine testing.

All the best.

No.

They generally take a few days at minimum

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Hmmm. Do you know any places that have short "wait times" between results?
    Ie. A week or less.
    I'm leaving for holiday on the 16th.

• Advertisement

Ring Gmhs or St James what they can do

You should of course be aware that while a test for HIV may come back negative that there is a window period in which HIV antibodies might show and it is reccomended to test again 3 months later

http://www.dublinaidsalliance.ie/index.php?page=testing-2

http://www.man2man.ie/intheknow.html

Terry Pratchet

Yes, I know that. I haven't had any sexual relations since about July. So, I'm set. Now, I just have to find a damn clinic. :p
    I wish there was one who gave results back in like 2 days as opposed to an entire week of waiting in fright lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,550 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most GP surgeries can do results in slightly under a week (using bloods couriered to a UK lab, e.g. TDL in Manchester) but this is neither free nor very cheap. GMHS was two weeks until quite recently, as it happens; but now that its 1 week there isn't really much point in paying for private ones.

The quicker the testing, the dearer the process and in many cases, the lower the accuracy too.

If you're going away on the 16th you have plenty of time to use any of the options available in Ireland anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

How is it that in Mozambique, a programme funded by Irish Aid gan give a HIV result in less than 10 minutes, yet with the HSE you have to wait 10 working days.

ninty9er wrote: »
    How is it that in Mozambique, a programme funded by Irish Aid gan give a HIV result in less than 10 minutes, yet with the HSE you have to wait 10 working days.

Those instant tests are neither particularly reliable, nor do they test for other STIs which are still far more prevalent in Ireland than HIV.

If you want to get an instant result HIV test, they are available in Ireland, but the HSE does not see the point in providing them due to the risk of false positives/negatives and the assumption that a clean test on it = clean test for everything - and I agree with the reasoning.

• Advertisement

So, the GMHS is one week. Has anyone done it there? What's it like. The lines, the people, the wait for the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Ie. A week or less.

The Rainbow Project in Belfast or Derry. Free and instant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭Daith

So, the GMHS is one week. Has anyone done it there? What's it like. The lines, the people, the wait for the results.

The last time I was there I was waiting a long time for everything but it was really busy that night. It's fine and the staff are great. You get the results back in a week which is always scary.

Recommend it. Just get there early.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

(A) why in particular are you suddenly worried after 5 months
    (B) is it the virus your worried about or STI's in General
    (C) What differnce will knowing before you go on holidays, it would be assumed that if your concerned enough to get tested, you wouldn't be silly enough to engage in unprotected sex, straight after finding out?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

I would recommend the GUIDE clinic, some of the most lovely people work there, not very long queues, http://guideclinic.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

stephen_n wrote: »
    (B) is it the virus your worried about or STI's in General
    (C) What differnce will knowing before you go on holidays, it would be assumed that if your concerned enough to get tested, you wouldn't be silly enough to engage in unprotected sex, straight after finding out?
    Ie. A week or less.

The OP could be going to a country where HIV negative status is mandatory for foreign visitors and tourists?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The OP could be going to a country where HIV tests are mandatory for foreign visitors and tourists?

That's a new one on me, I wasn't aware that any countries had that policy. Considering most holidays would be nearly over before the results came back, I doubt it though.

The urgency seems strange but if its a general check and not a HIV check, then results would be quicker!

That's a new one on me, I wasn't aware that any countries had that policy. Considering most holidays would be nearly over before the results came back, I doubt it though.

The urgency seems strange but if its a general check and not a HIV check, then results would be quicker!

I know that the U.S.A. doesn't allow any HIV+ visitors...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Should have put "HIV negative status is mandatory for tourists and visitors"

It is a requirement for some countries. http://www.livestrong.com/article/28141-list-countries-dont-allow-hiv/
    Total Ban

The United States, Yemen, China, Oman, Brunei Darussalam, Qatar, United Arab Emirates and Sudan all have had a total ban against travelers who are HIV positive.

Stay Limits

In several places, including the British territory Turks and Caicos, Egypt, Tunisia, Singapore and Iraq, travelers must show proof they are HIV-negative if they intend to stay in the country for longer than a certain period of time, ranging from 10 to 90 days.

Deportation

Twenty-nine nations will deport foreigners found to be HIV-positive. These include Uzbekistan, United States, North Korea, China, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Malaysia, Armenia, Bangladesh, Hungary, Bulgaria, South Korea, Tajikistan and Jordan.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

No where in Ireland can do better than a sexual health clinic or GP for turnaround time and confidence in the result. Most places use the HSE labs apart from a few private clinics.

The rapid HIV tests that take ten minutes are only screening tests to detect high levels of antibodies. You can't put much confidence in them, any result would need to be confirmed by more traditional tests.
    Why would anyone think that if there was a reliable test for HIV that gave a result in 10 minutes Irish labs wouldn't offer it?

• Advertisement

Jezek wrote: »
    I know that the U.S.A. doesn't allow any HIV+ visitors...

Lifted at some point since Obama came to office.

MYOB wrote: »
    Lifted at some point since Obama came to office.

couple of months back I was in a reproductive health conference where it was mentioned by a speaker. Don't know if it was lifted, good job if it was.

edit: clearly lifted, info here. Thanks for the heads up MYOB

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I'd guess a) Would like to put mind at rest before travelling, or b) Has only recently been informed by previous partner that they may want to get checked out.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Should have put "HIV negative status is mandatory for tourists and visitors"

It is a requirement for some countries. http://www.livestrong.com/article/28141-list-countries-dont-allow-hiv/

Jesus I wasn't aware of that, that's awful!
    I'd guess a) Would like to put mind at rest before travelling, or b) Has only recently been informed by previous partner that they may want to get checked out.

Doesn't explain a) the rush b) if its the virus or just sti's in general

Jesus I wasn't aware of that, that's awful!

Doesn't explain a) the rush b) if its the virus or just sti's in general

maybe he doesn't want to mention if its HIV or a different STI. Also people don't always act rationally and they don't have to - an STI scare can be very worrying, and wanting to have your mind set at ease as soon as possible is very reasonable.

Jezek wrote: »
    maybe he doesn't want to mention if its HIV or a different STI. Also people don't always act rationally and they don't have to - an STI scare can be very worrying, and wanting to have your mind set at ease as soon as possible is very reasonable.

Exactly as soon as possible, which wasnt the case. The OP already stated that he wants this before going on holidays, that is the urgency, if its not in particular a HIV check, then he might be able to get quicker results, simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I recently met up with a guy and for some reason I am really paranoid that I caught something. We just had oral sex, but I'm still worried. I feel fine but I guess I'm a bit of a hypocondriac.

I've heard about "The Gay Men’s Health Service" and I was going to get checked there.

Does anyone know how confidential it is? I have this image in my head of a waiting room full of gay guys wanting to get an STD check but I am in the closet so don't want anyone to see me there.

Can anyone tell me exactly what goes on there? Thanks

Its extremely confidential. They only take initials. Yes there is waiting room but everyone else is in the same position so there is nothing to worry about.

www.gaymenshealthservice.ie

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Is there any way to avoid the waiting room? I really dont want anyone to know 1. that I'm gay and 2. that I'm getting an STI test.

I know they're in the same position but I'm really uncomfortable with people knowing that about me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Yeah you just give them your totally traceable DOB instead. So be ready with a fake one. Beware they push the HIV test, PEP and the HepB vaccine. None are a good idea.

Advertisement