Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm looking for a free (or very cheap) place that does STI screenings w. quick result

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Do you have anything to back up that claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Do you have anything to back up that claim?

The claim that they push the HIV test, PEP and the HepB vaccine? Just take a look at their web site and promotional materials: http://www.man2man.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭floggg

Oracle wrote: »
    Yeah you just give them your totally traceable DOB instead. So be ready with a fake one. Beware they push the HIV test, PEP and the HepB vaccine. None are a good idea.

Traceable D.O.B.?

I imagine it would be pretty darn hard to trace somebody from their D.O.B. alone.

As for pushing the HIV test, it's a testing service. That's why most people go.

I really doubt they push PEP except in cases of HIV exposure, in which case PEP is in your best interest.

As is the Hep B vaccine. The GUIDE clinic in James also recommend it.

As for the poster not wanting to wait in the waiting room of the GMHS, why not go to the GUIDE clinic in James. It's during the day rather than evenings so you may need to take a day off. But it's a general sexul health clinic, so while you'll still have to sit n a waiting room, people in he waiting room will have no reason to think you are gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm even more paranoid now. Why is HIV testing a bad thing?

I am really uneasy about the whole thing. I was totally fine until I checked the symptoms last week. They mentioned flu like symptoms are common and I had a sore throat a couple of weeks ago. I really hope it's a coincidence. I just had oral sex with a guy, and I hear its unlikely that you can catch HIV from it, but even still - should I get a test?

The other thing that worries me is that you dont get the all clear for 3 months. So even if you test negative, you still might have HIV? What is the point in getting checked before the 3 months then? I think I will be very uneasy for the next number of weeks even if I get the test.

Also, can anyone tell me how far in advance do you need to make an appointment for the Jame's hospital clinic? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Folks as per the charter we cannot give medical advice. Please confine responses on this thread to general information. I've deleted one or two posts that are discussing medical advice.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its not. Someone is trying to push their (rather odd) personal agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

it's not.
    I am really uneasy about the whole thing. I was totally fine until I checked the symptoms last week. They mentioned flu like symptoms are common and I had a sore throat a couple of weeks ago. I really hope it's a coincidence. I just had oral sex with a guy, and I hear its unlikely that you can catch HIV from it, but even still - should I get a test?
    remember this is the time of year for the flu. And "flu like symptoms" are very general. It would not just be a sore throat it would be feeling like **** and exhausted for weeks. The chances of catching HIV depend on the situation, I.e. which bodily fluids involved. In the case of oral sex if you had recently had dental surgery, mouth ulcers, etc that would increase the risk. Anal sex is riskier because its physically more traumatic.
    The other thing that worries me is that you dont get the all clear for 3 months. So even if you test negative, you still might have HIV? What is the point in getting checked before the 3 months then? I think I will be very uneasy for the next number of weeks even if I get the test.
    HIV is a virus. It is very difficult to grow a virus. So the best way to test for HIV is to look for antibodies that your immune system produces to it. It takes the virus a while to grow to a high enough population to be noticed by your immune system and then it takes a while for your immune system to produce enough antibodies to be detected. Testing initially after exposure allows you to be sure that you weren't already infected. Testing 3months after exposure will hopefully confirm that you are not infected.

If its bothering you that much either go speak to a therapist (I.e. psychotherapist not a counsellor) or go get tested and wait it out. Do not let worry get you down or consume you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Dingle-berry as a matter of interest on one point you made, why did you specify a psychotherapist as opposed a counsellor, for brief therapy?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

stephen_n wrote: »
    Dingle-berry as a matter of interest on one point you made, why did you specify a psychotherapist as opposed a counsellor, for brief therapy?
    Because from my own experiences and those of family and friends with these professionals psychotherapists are more qualified and less influenced by personal bias. Some of those friends and family members have had very negative, even detrimental, experiences with counsellors and are now doing better than they had hoped for with psychotherapy alone. However I am aware that this is only my opinion, it's very likely that there are excellent counsellors out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Telling people what kind of counselling they need is straying into medical advice and this is not allowed under the charter

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

As far as the advice about James's, go into GUIDE, its a special clinic they have, some days is with appointment and others its walk-in, excellent doctors, they will help put your mind at ease about any waiting periods etc, talk to them about it rather than listen to anyone on boards, they are the professionals and they will deal with it in the best way, that includes talking to you about any concerns you might have.

http://guideclinic.ie/sti-clinic/coming-to-see-us

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Because from my own experiences and those of family and friends with these professionals psychotherapists are more qualified and less influenced by personal bias. Some of those friends and family members have had very negative, even detrimental, experiences with counsellors and are now doing better than they had hoped for with psychotherapy alone. However I am aware that this is only my opinion, it's very likely that there are excellent counsellors out there.

At the moment with lack of regulation the difference between a counsellor and a psychotherapist, is what a person decides to call themselves. Someone who has done a 6 week foundation course in psychotherapy, can call themselves a psychotherapist, while someone with a 3 year diploma in counseling, might call themselves a counsellor. I have a degree in psychotherapy and would use either title. The type of therapy involved would dictate if its psychotherapy, which usually involves looking at deeper issues and causes, where as Counseling is usually shorter in duration and focused on single issues, grief, particular fears etc. which is why I was wondering, how you came to that viewpoint.

As far as I'm aware the men's health clinics have excellent counselors, who would be very experienced in this area and helpful to the OP in this situation.

Advertisement