Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major differences in Canada?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

WasterEx wrote: »
    Speaking of, What are the women like in Calgary? (are they hot or not)

They are generally cold this time of year, due to the city's continetnal climate, high altitude and proximity to the rockies.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

retalivity wrote: »
    They are generally cold this time of year, due to the city's continetnal climate, high altitude and proximity to the rockies.

:D

Hahaha cheers for clearing that up, was a bit confused :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ehenness

Zillah wrote: »
    - I found Vancouver had one hell of a drinking culture. Not quite Dublin on a Saturday night but close enough.
    - People are super friendly, but massively offense-averse. I once commented that a particular logo looked silly and I was met with aghast and worried head-shaking (from white people) because it was, apparently, based on something tribal. I also mentioned that a lady wearing full traditional Pakistani clothing looked really cool, and that it wasn't something you'd expect from a Canadian (the lady spoke perfect English with a local accent) and similarly people got uncomfortable and acted as though I had said something offensive.
    - Following on from the above, I regret to say that the stereotype is true; a lot of Canadians are very dull. Lovely, friendly people, but completely lacking in strong opinions or a willingness to voice them, terrified of rocking the boat.
    - Cheese was mystifyingly expensive.
    - Weather is just like here except a little more extreme - summers hotter, winters colder, but tons of rain.
    - Exchange rates/cost of living balanced out remarkably well so I could just forget about currency and go by the number, and everything seemed largely the same as home.
    - People drink drive much more casually. It is bad in the sense of "oh well, I'm not drunk so it should be ok". I found it was like that in Washington too.

Sorry if I've offended any Canadians, I'm sure there are exceptions, I'm still friends with one of them, but I'd be lying if I said that the stereotype was without foundation. I even went over without having heard that stereotype and came to that conclusion myself.

I'm Canadian and I would have to agree with your observations.

Canadian people get really uncomfortable with "non-politically correct statements" or describing people by their race. Of course there are always exceptions but it is worth keeping in mind if you are trying to advance professionally or something.

Drunk driving is the worst in Alberta by far. All the riggers in their douche-mobiles (trucks). Something like 70% of drunk driving convictions in Canada are from Alberta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

the Hockey - and remember its not called ice hockey - just hockey

and the season is back tomorrow !

All the fans are mad but especially the Canucks !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

jacko1 wrote: »

Do sky have the monopoly on hockey in this country or can I get it on another telly station?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

hdowney wrote: »
    Do sky have the monopoly on hockey in this country or can I get it on another telly station?

check out

www.firstrowsports.eu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

setanta have it in ireland

http://www.setanta.com/ie/subscribe/nhl/

Yea, :( Subscription, and bloody expensive at that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

http://www.filmon.com << Has a damn good variety of international channels to watch, maybe the channel you're looking for is there. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

jacko1 wrote: »

If you say 'ice-skating' they'll laugh because your a foreigner.

Next day tell them your going 'skating', they go 'What? like skateboarding?'

Now whos the foreigner, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hon pa

A lot of the points have already been discussed, but from my experience of Vancouver:

-I can't believe the amount of homeless people hasn't been mentioned. In downtown they are everywhere. Unlike Ireland they don't sit by idly all the time either, had so many coming up asking for money and sometimes they're not even happy with what you give them and ask more. You can tell the locals are use to it and they manage to brush them off quickly.

-The people are so much friendlier than Irish people in general, anytime you get talking to a stranger they're pretty much always pleasant, will help you out anytime, give you advice and have no problem sharing a bit of 'smoke' with anyone. The bus drivers being nice took me by shock though, if you're short money they let you on free sometimes and will pull over and wait if they see you running for one.

-On the side of prices, nearly everything is more expensive, there's no such thing as a cheap phone network or 'free texts and calls' in Vancouver. You even get charged for answering calls and with some networks texts! I was with Rogers who were slightly cheaper than Telus based on my friends experience. Cheese and Chicken are the most expensive normal items, and the cheese is nowhere near as good as the standard irish cheese. For cheese and stuff like that you're better off getting them at the market or something, Granville island in Vancouver was the best place in my experience.

Hope this helps somewhat. (Probably not unless you're going to Vancouver)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Tiddlers

hon pa wrote: »
    A lot of the points have already been discussed, but from my experience of Vancouver:

-I can't believe the amount of homeless people hasn't been mentioned. In downtown they are everywhere. Unlike Ireland they don't sit by idly all the time either, had so many coming up asking for money and sometimes they're not even happy with what you give them and ask more. You can tell the locals are use to it and they manage to brush them off quickly.

-The people are so much friendlier than Irish people in general, anytime you get talking to a stranger they're pretty much always pleasant, will help you out anytime, give you advice and have no problem sharing a bit of 'smoke' with anyone. The bus drivers being nice took me by shock though, if you're short money they let you on free sometimes and will pull over and wait if they see you running for one.

-On the side of prices, nearly everything is more expensive, there's no such thing as a cheap phone network or 'free texts and calls' in Vancouver. You even get charged for answering calls and with some networks texts! I was with Rogers who were slightly cheaper than Telus based on my friends experience. Cheese and Chicken are the most expensive normal items, and the cheese is nowhere near as good as the standard irish cheese. For cheese and stuff like that you're better off getting them at the market or something, Granville island in Vancouver was the best place in my experience.

Hope this helps somewhat. (Probably not unless you're going to Vancouver)

The homeless people situation and the general state of things around the west Hastings/ carrall / Main Street area is something I've been telling many people back in Ireland about. This is the one thing I really wasn't expecting. I had read a bit about it but nothing portrayed things in a truthful manner. It puts a stroll down talbot st or one of the stereotypical 'bad' areas in perspective.

I know for the most part the people here are mentally ill or addicts and have experienced all sorts of hardship and bad luck, but waiting for a bus by myself on west hastings at night gets my heart beating fast with some fear!

There are some good videos on YouTube for anyone coming over and I highly recommend they check them out. It makes my heart sink to think that this area downtown exists in one of the wealthiest, affluent , influential cities in the western world. Some scary statistics regarding drug use and HIV rates on this one small stretch of street.

On a more positive note, bus drivers are usually super happy and friendly and realise it's not the end of the world if you're short 25 cent or have misplaced a bus ticket. All aboard!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Tiddlers wrote: »
    The homeless people situation and the general state of things around the west Hastings/ carrall / Main Street area is something I've been telling many people back in Ireland about. This is the one thing I really wasn't expecting. I had read a bit about it but nothing portrayed things in a truthful manner. It puts a stroll down talbot st or one of the stereotypical 'bad' areas in perspective.

I know for the most part the people here are mentally ill or addicts and have experienced all sorts of hardship and bad luck, but waiting for a bus by myself on west hastings at night gets my heart beating fast with some fear!

There are some good videos on YouTube for anyone coming over and I highly recommend they check them out. It makes my heart sink to think that this area downtown exists in one of the wealthiest, affluent , influential cities in the western world. Some scary statistics regarding drug use and HIV rates on this one small stretch of street.

On a more positive note, bus drivers are usually super happy and friendly and realise it's not the end of the world if you're short 25 cent or have misplaced a bus ticket. All aboard!

The homeless come in from other parts of the country on the wheat trains cos its much warmer here in winter. It really is kept to one small part of the city. Its much better than it was especially in the 90's this was down to the VPD ignoring the serial killer who was feeding on the prostitutes down there and the furore it caused after. Plus there is a lot of gentrification going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

Jesus from reading this I think I might be offending a fair few Canadians. The identifying someone by race is something I don't see as something bad but when in a different country I will gotta change.

Also looking online. What is the price in an offie for a box of beer. How much is spirits and is there any bulmers or something similar

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

The bread that you get in the supermarkets here i would not feed to a dog. Thankfully there is a nationwide bakery chain called cobbs and they make fantastic bread fresh everyday.
    I pay $2.40 for a small white sliced loaf, yet in a supermarket people pay up to $5 for so called quality bread that is pure muck, the mind boggles.

my gf bought a bread maker for 60 dollars in a zellers closing-down sale....best thing ever. home made bread 3 times a week!
    What is the price in an offie for a box of beer. How much is spirits and is there any bulmers or something similar

In Ontario, all beer is sold through either an LCBO or Beer store. Cheapest cans you can get are about 1.75 each for the worst muck (lakeport, pbr, old milwaukee). Cheapest 6 pack of bottles is 8 dollars i think. 24 heineken is 42 dollars. Its not cheap.

You can get magners here, which is pretty much the same. All the canadians are crazy about sommersby cider, although ive never had it. I prefer rekorderlig which can be found in most places - berry & pear cider similar to kopparberg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

hey is there bulmers there and do they sell silk cut purple's in Canada??:D whats the milk like rotten i bet?? do they sell Kellogs cornflakes or good old Irish porridge its the little things i will miss:D

Its Magners that ive seen for sale in lcbo's and on tap in some pubs...the bulmers ive seen anywhere (and its been rare) is the bottles of bulmers you get in England and the north.
    the milk is grand afaik, but im not one who notice any difference really. Ive seen cornflakes for sale, but dont eat cereal so cant really comment. same with porridge.

Thanks for that:D:D dont feel so bad now:D

I'm guessing wine is a heck of expensive over there :/

• Advertisement

say so;)

cheapest bottle would be 7-8 dollars? can get 1500ml of cheap plonk for 12-13.
    Im only talking ontario too... its cheaper in quebec & ive no idea what the story is in alberta

retalivity wrote: »
    cheapest bottle would be 7-8 dollars? can get 1500ml of cheap plank for 12-13.
    Im only talking ontario too... its cheaper in quebec & ive no idea what the story is in alberta

That's quite reasonable and on par with here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Frostine

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    hey is there bulmers there and do they sell silk cut purple's in Canada??:D whats the milk like rotten i bet?? do they sell Kellogs cornflakes or good old Irish porridge its the little things i will miss:D
    You can find Kellog's Cornflakes in any grocery store, I doubt they would be any different here.
    The Scottish Shoppe sells some UK and Irish grocery items, you could check there. Their address is 1206-17th Ave. SW. There's also a place in Market Mall in the NW called A Good Taste Of Britain, not so sure what they have though. Good luck!

Cheers mate thanks for that. i see your in Calgary hope your enjoying it and i hope Aprils not to bad as i hope to be be there then:D

JustRoss23 wrote: »

The milks lovely.

The meat is better then supermarket meat at home, not many butchers here though. Chicken isn't great and is expensive but pork chops are cheap

Fruit and veg is grand.

Porridge oats are canadian and as good as home.

Eggs are nice and cheap.

Don't think you'll get silk cut here, not sure though I quit before I came out, hardest but best thing you'll ever do.

You can get strongbow etc. But I wouldn't bother, theres a few microbreweries that make very good quality ciders that you'll be much better off with. Try the local stuff.

Oh and I'd bring a suitcase of Lyons Gold Blend, you'll need it.

don't drink tea:o so that's grand my diet is mostly silk cut purple and coke zero:o

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    The milks lovely.

The meat is better then supermarket meat at home, not many butchers here though. Chicken isn't great and is expensive but pork chops are cheap

Fruit and veg is grand.

Porridge oats are canadian and as good as home.

Eggs are nice and cheap.

Don't think you'll get silk cut here, not sure though I quit before I came out, hardest but best thing you'll ever do.

You can get strongbow etc. But I wouldn't bother, theres a few microbreweries that make very good quality ciders that you'll be much better off with. Try the local stuff.

^^ At the moment that wouldn't be hard, what with most supermarket beef and the like turning out to be horse!

• Advertisement
Advertisement