Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Search sort by Oldest First

Options
  • 02-12-2012 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

Search has a "Newest First" sort option.

Can you add an "Oldest First" option to reverse the displayed results?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Could you not do a "newest first" search and then just go to the last page of the search results and work backwards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

Trojan wrote: »
    Search has a "Newest First" sort option.

Can you add an "Oldest First" option to reverse the displayed results?

We wrote the functionality in to the backed during the last big rewrite, we're just not providing the option in the UI at the moment. Shouldn't be a big deal getting it in, I'll take a look at it tomorrow hopefully.

In the interim you can swap the sort param from "newest" to "oldest" in the results URL, e.g.

boards.ie/search/submit/?query=trojan&sort=newest

to

boards.ie/search/submit/?query=trojan&sort=oldest

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Dean09, thanks for the suggested workaround - it's ok when doing one or two searches, but if doing searches regularly it gets a bit tedious :)
    We wrote the functionality in to the backed during the last big rewrite, we're just not providing the option in the UI at the moment. Shouldn't be a big deal getting it in, I'll take a look at it tomorrow hopefully.

In the interim you can swap the sort param from "newest" to "oldest" in the results URL, e.g.

boards.ie/search/submit/?query=trojan&sort=newest

to

boards.ie/search/submit/?query=trojan&sort=oldest

Good stuff, that's even better than the previous workaround - cheers.

Are there any other sort options implemented but not exposed in UI? Thanks, views etc?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Are there any other sort options implemented but not exposed in UI? Thanks, views etc?
    :)

None accessible by URL surgery on the search URLs I'm afraid

Danny

None accessible by URL surgery on the search URLs I'm afraid

Danny

Cheers. I'm specifically thinking of "sort by post size" (i.e. number of characters/bytes) as a nice-to-have feature.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

Those updates are live now.
    Cheers. I'm specifically thinking of "sort by post size" (i.e. number of characters/bytes) as a nice-to-have feature.

That'd be slightly more tricky! Size / length wouldn't be a recognized attribute of a post (like views, replies, thanks, etc,) so we'd have to define that value ourselves and add it to the search "document" as its indexed in Solr.

Would require a bit more time to investigate and implement than we're currently able to invest at the moment unfortunately.

Out of interest, have you a use case for a "post size" sort ?

Those updates are live now.

Thank you!
    That'd be slightly more tricky! Size / length wouldn't be a recognized attribute of a post (like views, replies, thanks, etc,) so we'd have to define that value ourselves and add it to the search "document" as its indexed in Solr.

Would require a bit more time to investigate and implement than we're currently able to invest at the moment unfortunately.

Out of interest, have you a use case for a "post size" sort ?

Sure, although I don't think I can provide any that could be said to be high priority in any way. I think it can be used for a few things, roughly based on "large posts can be interpreted as more valuable" in certain contexts:

Did I write something more informative on topic X, or just lots of one-liners? (and show me the good ones) What are the largest posts in forum Y? (similar question, different motivation) Is user Z posting lots of short posts to bump post count? (not vital because the majority of these have <40 posts) Is user A a good contributor on this forum? (an alternative to top-poster, and more qualitative results.).

I think they're in the "it would be interesting to know...", not the "we need to know..." category.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement