Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog pound?

• 02-12-2012 9:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody! I need advices!
    Finally I moved to a house with a garden.
    For two years I was thinking to get a dog.. but living in apartment..
    I've been looking for one month to find this house with an open-minded landlord that wrote me a letter where he allows me to have a dog!

I had experience before, I had a samoyed for 13 years, strong dog with a strong character.. my love.. he passed away for old age :(

the problem: I work full time.
    I would give the dog a lot of love, attention and exercise the morning before to go to work, the evenings, the weekends, holidays, always!!

I've been to a rescue here around dublin (I don't know if I can post the name?) and on 77 dogs that they have they could not find one for me.
    I am ok to have a dog with problems, not puppy, to train...
    why is that difficult to find one on 77 dogs that maybe are there for years?

I don't really want to buy one or find on a website..

but reading the policies of these rescues places it seems it will be impossible for me :(

I could also consider to get two dogs, for company..
    In the dog pound would be different?

Really, I know that they do that to take care of dogs... I don't want to start a polemic, but I am a bit sad now..
    I've been volunteering with dogs, I would go to training class, etc... what should I do?

:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

We were in the same situation and we ended up having to buy a puppy. I would love to have been able to rescue a dog but we were renting and didn't have a garden so we had no choice! I'm not sure why we didn't go to the pound, we had a reason at the time I'm sure! :)

We did a lot of research and decided to pick a low energy house dog, we bought a japanese spitz.

We both work full time and spent the first six months at least coming home to her every day at lunch time so she wasn't alone all day. We stopped that after a while and she is totally fine on her own all day, no signs of nervous behaviour or anxiety. We were aware that alot of people don't agree with dogs being alone all day but its worked out fine for us & Bella.

I hope whatever you decide works out for you, they are such wonderful animals and a joy to come home to.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Be "economical with the truth" basically. Some, not all rescues have ridiculously high standards when it comes to rehoming animals and one of the biggest no-nos is working full time. I find this very hard to comprehend. People have to work, to earn money to PROVIDE for their animals. But, unfortunately this is a massive disadvantage. You could say you work from home 2 days per week and will plan daycare for those days you arent there etc.

Pounds have zero criteria at all and i know lots of people who have given pound dogs a second chance with no regrets. Remember though you wont know anything about this dogs history so it will be a risk.

If you arent willing to bend the truth then you can visit your local pound as often as you like until you find a dog that suits your needs.

Where are you based?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

thanks for your answer!
    It's nice to read other experiences.

I know that for a dog is difficult to be alone... but... is it better to live forever in a rescue or a pound?
    I understand I should not get a beautiful puppy maybe that could have a better situation..
    but an older dog? with problems? there were dogs with problems, one deaf, one there for 2 years..
    :(

for the first 5 years my dog was coming to work with me and we were living in an apartment..
    then the situation changed and we moved to a house with a garden... he was alone all day and really happier than before!!!
    It depends from the dog anyway...

I am in Dublin 15... I've seen there is the ashtown dog pound around here..

jsabina wrote: »
    There's also Dunboyne Pound about 15mins drive from there too. Are you familiar with the charity that advertises these dogs when they come into the pound? I'll PM you if not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Two of my dogs came from Ashton and no regrets here. They open 9-5 mon-Fri but closed 1-2 for lunch. you can go an bring the dogs for a walk and see if there are any you think would suit you.

anniehoo wrote: »
    There's also Dunboyne Pound about 15mins drive from there too. Are you familiar with the charity that advertises these dogs when they come into the pound? I'll PM you if not.

no if you can send me a pm would be really helpful!!
    thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Check out Mullingar Dog Pound also, they are very good to their dogs. They have a good Facebook page with pictures and profiles on dogs currently available ("Mullingar Dog Shelter").

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭missmyler

There are 2 charities that run out of the Dunboyne pound as far as I know. One side I believe is for the Meath Dog catcher and the other for the Dublin one. Open to correction

I have Pm'd you both links

missmyler wrote: »
    There are 2 charities that run out of the Dunboyne pound as far as I know. One side I believe is for the Meath Dog catcher and the other for the Dublin one. Open to correction

I have Pm'd you both links
    Yeah you're correct.

• Advertisement

The facebook page of the SDCC south dublin county council update twice weekly of the dogs who have just come into the pound and who are not in their care yet. It'll be more useful to you than their actual website.You can take them from the pound (no rehoming criteria) before they go into the care of this charity.

Thanks a lot I had really good advices!
    I've subscribed different facebook pages and already had an answer.
    In the pounds they say there are not strict rules and really I would like to help even a dog that have problems to find a place!
    I love dogs and for me is really important to help them!!

Now I am pretty sure I can find my dog... I was so stressed/sad today! I moved outside dublin and paying a lot for rent just to have a nice place for a dog... to discover I cannot have one!!

I didn't know the difference between pounds and rescue places and so on :)

thanks a lot!

Best of luck to you. In a well run pound they should have some basic information about their dogs so you can find one that would suit your lifestyle and space. Often it's external volunteers who are helping with taking photos and advertising dogs for FB pages or sites, so you can ask them as well.

sorry for the question.. but... what happen when they cannot find an owner?
    if they answer that the dog needs to go asap or "this week" what does it mean?
    :S

Stray dogs get five days in the pound, after that they can be killed. Surrenders get 24hrs sometimes they are killed immediately depending on space availability in the pound.

Depends on the pound; some have no-kill policy, so the dog will stay there until it is adopted or fostered. Others may sadly put them down (although there seems to be more and more rescues and volunteers taking dogs out from pounds). Sometimes "asap" means that the dog has been there for a while and they draw special attention to dogs who have been there the longest to get them out first. Or it may mean that the dog is in danger. Check with the pound.

I really hope, or I can't believe that the rescue places will not give a dog because I work and prefer other dogs are killed.
    I am talking with a "pound" on fb for a dog that needs to go this week, but I cannot take a day off this week and the idea is terrible!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

mhge wrote: »
    Depends on the pound; some have no-kill policy, so the dog will stay there until it is adopted or fostered. Others may sadly put them down (although there seems to be more and more rescues and volunteers taking dogs out from pounds). Sometimes "asap" means that the dog has been there for a while and they draw special attention to dogs who have been there the longest to get them out first. Or it may mean that the dog is in danger. Check with the pound.

I don't want to argue with you, but can you please let me know which pounds have a no-kill policy? I honestly don't know any. Even Leitrim, which has a fantastic group of people running it don't have 0% pts rate.

ISDW wrote: »
    I don't want to argue with you, but can you please let me know which pounds have a no-kill policy? I honestly don't know any. Even Leitrim, which has a fantastic group of people running it don't have 0% pts rate.

OK sorry, I may have exaggerated... I believe in Mullingar dogs are allowed to wait for adoption/rescue place, although it may not be official and not 0%. I've heard about Leitrim too - I think "no-kill" applies to places having up to 10% rate as some dogs may need to be pts on medical grounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

OK sorry, I may have exaggerated... I believe in Mullingar dogs are allowed to wait for adoption/rescue place, although it may not be official and not 0%. I've heard about Leitrim too - I think "no-kill" applies to places having up to 10% rate as some dogs may need to be pts on medical grounds.

Volunteers go into Mullingar pound and take photos and work very, very hard to get dogs out to safety, its not done by the pound itself.

• Advertisement

No pound in the country that I know of are no-kill. rescues yes but not pounds.

ISDW wrote: »
    Volunteers go into Mullingar pound and take photos and work very, very hard to get dogs out to safety, its not done by the pound itself.

I know and they are amazing - I mean that they could have been blocked if the pound instead of cooperating was enforcing its killing policy to a t. It's happening in Wicklow I think, there is a group that wants to do the same ("Chance") but the pound keeps them at arm's length and therefore has atrocious kill rate.

ok after this experience now I think I will start volunteering as well :S
    my next question will be if a person working full time and with hopefully a dog can foster dog / do something.. because I don't like at all the idea that young and healthy dogs can be put to sleep :(

ok after this experience now I think I will start volunteering as well :S
    my next question will be if a person working full time and with hopefully a dog can foster dog / do something.. because I don't like at all the idea that young and healthy dogs can be put to sleep :(

i work fulltime and have adopted and fostered. Its definitely possible.

TillyGirl wrote: »
    i work fulltime and have adopted and fostered. Its definitely possible.

Good to know! I was thinking about fostering myself, although not just now.

I really hope, or I can't believe that the rescue places will not give a dog because I work and prefer other dogs are killed.
    I am talking with a "pound" on fb for a dog that needs to go this week, but I cannot take a day off this week and the idea is terrible!!!
    If its the charity i PM'd you about they do their utmost to get all dogs out of the pound, so don't worry. But again, once out of the pound and in their care you will be subject to their conditions of adoption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

When a dog is found a stray, it has 5 "safe" days in the pound - after this is can be put to sleep (and often is, depending on what pound you are talking about). The idea is that if there is an owner out there looking for the dog, they have 5 days to find it if it has ended up in a pound. If a dog is a surrender (that is, the owner gave it up) it only has 24 hours "safe".

Rescues work with pounds to move as many dogs who are in danger of being put to sleep out of the pound as quick as possible. Most of the time, the pound isn't at fault due to the over crowding and number of dogs coming in results in them having no other chioce (in saying this, some pounds are much better than others for trying to get dogs sorted and moved out).

Hi,
    I don't want to complain about pounds or rescues really..
    I cannot complain also because I don't know enough to have a correct opinion.

I am just surprised to see that in the rescue they would not consider me because I work full time when they know that there are places where dogs are killed!

I am living for more than 2 years in ireland, always trying to support the rescues and didn't know at all about the difference between rescues and pounds.

I think they should write that somewhere, for a person doing research on internet it's really difficult to find a pound and information, the first place would be a rescue for sure...
    If I didn't post here maybe I would not take a dog I don't know for how long!!!

(I really hope they will allow me to foster dogs to avoid they be killed... if someone is working in some places like that and want to contact me do that please! )

Thanks!
    :)

PM'd you

• Advertisement
Advertisement