Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin included in the top five New Years Eve desitnations.

Options
  • 02-12-2012 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭

Good news for the capital... It's been widely reported, but here's one form the Journal.ie.

http://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-new-years-eve-696679-Nov2012/

IF YOU’RE MAKING plans for New Year’s Eve, stop what you’re doing right now and take a look at this.
    The Lonely Planet guide has chosen its top five destinations for New Year’s Eve 2013, and it has only gone and included Dublin in it.
    Unfortunately for most of us, the other four locations are either very far away or far-enough-away-to-involve-a-long-flight:
    • Prague, Czech Republic
    • New South Wales Coast
    • Chiang Mai, Thailand
    • French Alps
    Of course, Minister for Transport, Tourism & Sport Leo Varadkar was rather delighted with the news, particularly with The Gathering planned for next year:
    With this positive message going out around the world, I would urge Irish people everywhere to join in the celebrations in Dublin, or with their own local festival.
    Why was Dublin chosen? Well, the Lonely Planet website singles out the annual fireworks display and the ‘torchlit procession of floats, fire breathers and stilt walkers’.
    This year’s extended festival will even bigger to mark the start of the Gathering Ireland 2013, so people from around the world have been invited to take part in the torchlit procession with candles, lanterns or torches, followed by an open air concert in College Green.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

That or Mr. Varadkar paid a handsome sum to Lonely Planet to be mentioned...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Absolute rubbish. A top 5 that doesn't include Edinburgh for NYE is completely ridiculous. And while Dublin is trying, with the new festival, it has a long way to go before it's anywhere near top 5 in the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

athtrasna wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish. A top 5 that doesn't include Edinburgh for NYE is completely ridiculous

Or New York or Tel Aviv or Mumbai or Ho Chi Min... the list goes on!

They picked five, there's going to be loosers, the lonely planet know their beans, I'd say they know more than they are letting on. I wonder who's playing at the open air concert.

Whoever is playing, I think Dublin deserves the accolade, great atmosphere around the city lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Maybe it is, maybe it isnt. We dont know Id take a outsiders perspective over someone from Dublin because as much as we can be biased towards our own city we can also be just as biased against it at times.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I have been in many different countries for NYE and Dublin is at the very bottom of my list.

Baharain doesnt celebrate NYE and it was better than Dublin!

I will not be moving outside my door this NYE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

For the cynics, they are right in some regards; Prague is the best NYE city in Europe (Sarajevo a close 2nd) make a point of going one year (mind the fireworks being lobbed about by everyone, more like a warzone than a street at times :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭paudgenator

irishbird wrote: »
    I have been in many different countries for NYE and Dublin is at the very bottom of my list.

Baharain doesnt celebrate NYE and it was better than Dublin!

I will not be moving outside my door this NYE

We went into College Green last year .. It was a mess. Had to queue over an hour to use the paltry amount of loos available, so missing out on the Coronas..headline act for the night. Then going home was treated to the sight of so many people vomiting and urinating on the streets. I will definitely not be going anywhere near it this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Sorry but where are the details for this years NYE celebrations? There wasn't anything like this in years prior was there?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

MadsL wrote: »
    Prague is the best NYE city in Europe
    I disagree, it was good raucous fun but the best atmosphere I've found in any of the twelve European cities I've been to for New Year's was Budapest. Spectacular municipal fireworks too.

Advertisement