Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valyrian Steel ASoIaF Replica Swords

Options
  • 02-12-2012 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else seen the replica swords from the series made by Valyrian Steel?

Their current models are based on the swords as described in the books but they're planning to make the HBO show version of them in the near future. They have a Facebook page (possible book spoilers in some comments) with better pics of the swords and news updates on the show versions.

Planning to get the show version of Longclaw myself:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Dercola

Have been watching the site myself for the last few months. Really wanted to get the book version of Longclaw myself but its been sold out from the start. Been saving for a Damascus version of the tv show replica for a while now:D

Altho if they make
    Oathkeeper
    my mind could be swayed :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Dercola wrote: »
    Have been watching the site myself for the last few months. Really wanted to get the book version of Longclaw myself but its been sold out from the start.

They got a Longclaw returned to them a few weeks ago for some reason so they put it on ebay and let it ride...sold for nearly $2500 in the end:pac: People must be desperate to get one haha

Link to it; http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160924318533

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Dercola wrote: »
    Have been watching the site myself for the last few months. Really wanted to get the book version of Longclaw myself but its been sold out from the start. Been saving for a Damascus version of the tv show replica for a while now:D

Altho if they make
    Oathkeeper
    my mind could be swayed :p

Imagine an exact recreation of
    Oathkeeper
    , it'd be the price of a house!

How different would the book versions be from the TV versions? I doubt there'd be much of a variation unless you compared them up close.

I'm trying hard not to think about how great Ice would look on the wall or I'll be down 350 quid :)

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    Imagine an exact recreation of
    Oathkeeper
    , it'd be the price of a house!

How different would the book versions be from the TV versions? I doubt there'd be much of a variation unless you compared them up close.

I'm trying hard not to think about how great Ice would look on the wall or I'll be down 350 quid :)

They're planning to make them all in turn as they appear on the show.. according to a comment they made on FB they've planned; 'Catspaw (Assassin's) Blade, Hound's Helm, Stark Shield, Robb Sword, Longclaw, Ice, Loras Helm, Oathkeeper' also have an arakh in the works too apparently.

The crossguard and handle are different on Ice and a good few changes on Longclaw..blade, hilt, pommel. They're making them making them exactly as you see in the show.

Longclaw current model;

LONGCLAW.png

As used in the show;

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/26300000/Jon-sword-Longclaw-jon-snow-26321626-1365-2048.jpg?1354914209654

The use he uses when he's about to kill Ygritte has a fuller in the blade which the other pic of the show one doesn't..dunno if they're making it with a fuller or without;

Ygritte-Rose-Leslie.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'm not sure exactly what the law is, but it's illegal to import functional swords anyway, and customs do check for them. I think there's exceptions for blunted collectors items, but not too sure.

Id suggest checking out the legal situation carefully before risking a few hundred euro on one.

• Advertisement

It's only samurai swords affected by the recent change in legislation.

SI 338-2009 changed the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act 1990 to include:

'(r) the sword sometimes
    known as samurai or katana'

The rest are ok once you're not walking down the street with it:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Dercola

Valyrian Steel have just released details of a replica version of the hounds helm. To be honest, I think it looks pretty sweet :D The swords were replicas of the book versions but this looks like its straight from the tv show. Must say, i am tempted..

hound-main.jpg

http://www.valyriansteel.com/shop/swords/the-hounds-helm/prod_18.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I think it was a little darker in the TV show. May just be the lighting though.

Kb0nD.jpg

VS announced two new items recently;

Robb Stark's sword

Catspaw Blade

Neither are really to my taste but people seem to be interested in them on FB:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Blay wrote: »
    VS announced two new items recently;

Robb Stark's sword

Catspaw Blade

Neither are really to my taste but people seem to be interested in them on FB:pac:

I call bull****. The catspaw's blade doesn't have a dragonbone handle!:pac:

• Advertisement

Jus thought I'd update this, VS have opened preorders on the tv versions of Ice and Longclaw.

The damascus versions of Ice and Longclaw are capped at 500 pcs each..damascus Longclaw opens for orders in 10 mins..short notice but thought I'd update incase anyone is interested but missed the the release.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Blay wrote: »
    Jus thought I'd update this, VS have opened preorders on the tv versions of Ice and Longclaw.

The damascus versions of Ice and Longclaw are capped at 500 pcs each..damascus Longclaw opens for orders in 10 mins..short notice but thought I'd update incase anyone is interested but missed the the release.

I went and ordered one; I used the pay by western option in case I get buyers remorse. I have 30 days to get payment to them and can change it to credit/debit card payment during that.
    Just wanted to make sure in case it sold out.

I'm still undecided on whether to go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

s.welstead wrote: »
    I went and ordered one; I used the pay by western option in case I get buyers remorse. I have 30 days to get payment to them and can change it to credit/debit card payment during that.
    Just wanted to make sure in case it sold out.

I'm still undecided on whether to go for it.

I'll offer you the iron price for it.

Advertisement