Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else a little put off by the icy blue lights theme the last few years?

Options
  • 02-12-2012 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

Might seem like a silly thread, but is anyone else not too thrilled by the blue / ice blue Christmas lights fashion over the last couple of years?

I know it's meant to symbolize energy saving LEDs, but they now have LEDs in full RGB, why do they have to insist on the ice coloured blue ones? I don't get anything like a Christmas cheer from them, they just remind me of being cold :D

If you compare them to the ones up and down Grafton Street which are a lot more traditional, or the first few rows in Dun Laoghaire main street which are red (before giving way to rows of the ice blue ones, of course), IMO they're a lot more Christmassy...

Seems to be only in the last couple of years that this has come in, and seemingly only since they finally perfected the blue LED (it used to be only red and green ones until a few years back), so probably it's just a fad which will pass... Just wondering if anyone actually likes it though? Am I the only one who would rather go back to the old fashioned ones?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Not a fan of the blue myself. Doesn't feel like a Christmas colour to me! They've put horrible blue lights up in Malahide village (and a pitifull few at that) and they look dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Looking at those blue lights gives me the shivers. Nothing cheery about them :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

Probably designed by the same gobsh1t fashion advisor who decided tinsel was so last year and outdated. But that is the whole point of Christmas. Bring you back to a time and place of your youth. It is supposed to be old fashioned.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Much prefer the warmer yellow LEDs myself :D Far nicer!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

gozunda wrote: »
    Nearly as good as upside down Christmas Trees....

upside-down-christmas-tee.jpg

Upside down Christmas trees with blue lights - yuk!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Might seem like a silly thread, but is anyone else not too thrilled by the blue / ice blue Christmas lights fashion over the last couple of years?

I know it's meant to symbolize energy saving LEDs, but they now have LEDs in full RGB, why do they have to insist on the ice coloured blue ones? I don't get anything like a Christmas cheer from them, they just remind me of being cold :D

If you compare them to the ones up and down Grafton Street which are a lot more traditional, or the first few rows in Dun Laoghaire main street which are red (before giving way to rows of the ice blue ones, of course), IMO they're a lot more Christmassy...

Seems to be only in the last couple of years that this has come in, and seemingly only since they finally perfected the blue LED (it used to be only red and green ones until a few years back), so probably it's just a fad which will pass... Just wondering if anyone actually likes it though? Am I the only one who would rather go back to the old fashioned ones?

I dont like coloured lights and I dont use them myself.

Ive allways had a thing for plain warm white LED lights and clear or warm white LED lights on a house and on a tree.

Nice and simple.:)

Add in some frost and ice (like we had last night) and it makes for a lovely magical feel too.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

not a fan of blue, purple, peacocks, black or any other color for christmas that some bored "designer" thought up and which is brainwashed into us to buy each year.

I stick to my regular lights, no blue, just nice yellowy white, and my christmas decorations.

none of that rainbow nonsense for me. thank you very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I think the message might be getting through though (albeit slowly)... There's a real tree in O'Connell street this year :)

I HATE the lights on Henry/Mary street and Talbot street, but I suppose it'd be a bit much to replace perfectly functional lights. Hope that in time they go back to the nice green garlands with red ribbons and warm white lights through them!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

^ Well we could possibly sort out the Talbot Street ones by writing to DCC and asking them to "AH HEAAAA!!! LEAVE IT BLEEDIN' OUUU" ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist

Advertisement