Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses in Ongar

Options
  • 02-12-2012 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know who is moving into the vacant unit on the Main Street in Ongar next to the butchers? (it used to be the Soul Bakery). I notice the for sale/to let sign has been taken down and the windows have been covered suggesting there is some refit work going on inside. I'd love if a delicatessen/ready to go healthy meals type pick up place opened for all us lazy cooks in the area! ;)

Also, I see the Chinese next to Di Lucia's chipper is now operated by Swords Garden (odd name for a Chinese!) and that there is now indoor seating.

Finally, Dunnes look like they are doing a bit of an upgrade on their outside (their old signs have been taken down).

For a recession, Ongar Village is doing fairly well with no unit apart from one at the back next to the property shop empty.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

I seen the lads working there out the back they were Eastern European wasn't much of a professional set up to be honest so could be anything yet seen fridges an that inside and shelving could be from the old place tho

Noticed the Chinese also he has 2 other restaurants up and running that do well the lady in the chipper gave me that info

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭KazDub

ongarboy wrote: »
    Does anyone know who is moving into the vacant unit on the Main Street in Ongar next to the butchers? (it used to be the Soul Bakery).

Another bakery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

The Chinese is lovely and reasonable to....large chicken curry or beef chips,rice,2 cans for 8:80 it's enough for 2 people and a child

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Any sign of the big house are the end (near chemist) being opened/used?

I think it'd be a great community centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

Anyone been into the new bakery opposite Dunnes yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

http://www.auction.co.uk/irish/LotDetails.asp?A=828&MP=84&ID=828000032&S=C&O=A

Sold at ALLSOP AUCTION recently

1 The Mall & Telecoms Installations in Ongar Village

HAS THE UNIT OPENED ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

amdublin wrote: »
    Any sign of the big house are the end (near chemist) being opened/used?

I think it'd be a great community centre.

Ongar already has a fabulous state of the art community centre:

www.ongarcc.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I noticed today that O'Malleys butchers is gone and has been replaced by Powers butchers. Their sign over the door is a bit gaudy. O'Malleys sign was more attractive and "village main street" looking. I can't comment on their produce/service yet as I haven't had the need to stock up on meat recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

Sad to see Tommy leaving. For as long as I've been here (9 years), he was there and was always a great man for the chat and the banter as well as good grub. I've been in a few times since it re-opened on Friday and the new management seem very nice. They've decluttered the place quite a bit (as the skip out the back will testify, although I spotted a few things earlier today in the skip that looked more like domestic waste dumped locally than stuff that came out of a butchers) and they don't have posters up on the walls, so it looks a lot more bare than it used to, but the meat is as good as ever. I hope they are very successful; that unit is an integral part of the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

The old Xtravision unit in Ongar now has a 'Let By' sign on it instead of 'To Let'. Looking forward to seeing what's going in there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Twizzler wrote: »

I liked him aswell Twizzler but his prices got silly towards the end.

Although I imagine its hard in this day and age to compete..

Twizzler wrote: »
    The old Xtravision unit in Ongar now has a 'Let By' sign on it instead of 'To Let'. Looking forward to seeing what's going in there!

Interesting! That didn't take long to re-let. It's a sizable unit so I wonder what it will be?

I see some building activity going on in the old Xtra Vision outlet - anyone know what's going in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

ongarboy wrote: »
    I see some building activity going on in the old Xtra Vision outlet - anyone know what's going in there?

The hairdressers, REBA, is moving into the unit.

ongarite wrote: »
    The hairdressers, REBA, is moving into the unit.

Thanks for update - that's a sizeable unit for a hairdressers - obviously it's doing well to expand like that!

Advertisement