Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas dinner

Options
  • 03-12-2012 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

What time do you have yours at? We usually have it in the afternoon

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Usually around 3pm. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

branie wrote: »
    What time do you have yours at? We usually have it in the afternoon

What time in the afternoon though?

:p

Ours is usally around 3 or 4. Hopefully 4 this year as wont get home any earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

Around five or half five. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Between 3 and 4. Takes a couple of hours to get through all the courses so you can't start too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Usually around 1 or 2 - that gives me enough time to digest so that I can polish off a tin of celebrations later on that evening in front of the fire whilst watching <insert Christmas film here>

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

We usually have ours around 2pm. I don't know how you folks wait until 3 or 4, because I always am starving!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Around 1 or 2. Have scrapped the big brekkie so we can eat sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

We have it around 5pm. We have a big breakfast at about 9am so that keeps us going until dinner.

That way we get to spend the afternoon chilling out and relaxing as all the prep is done in advance, normally on Christmas eve.

• Subscribers Posts: 126 ✭✭Camo22

We have it around 5pm. We have a big breakfast at about 9am so that keeps us going until dinner.

That way we get to spend the afternoon chilling out and relaxing as all the prep is done in advance, normally on Christmas eve.

Going to the girlfriends parents house this year, should be sufficently awkward all day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭ispini1984

Around 1 - 1.30 pm. :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Usually between 2 and 3. Normally up at around 9 so usually starving by the time dinner comes around (despite picking on sweets throughout the morning! ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 31,864 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

We used to always have ours around 2-3 but now my Dad works weird shifts at Christmas so that can change. This year, we'll be having ours around 3 or 4 p.m, Dad will eat some of his then. He'll go to bed until 10.30 pm, get up and have the rest of it and then he'll head into work for his night shift at 12.

We always have a big fry for brekkie! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

I'm surprised that so many have their Christmas dinner so early! I love eating it when it's dark outside and you can light candles and it's all cosy and warm, I couldn't imagine having it during the day. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

We usually have ours between 2 and 3 (we usually aim for 1.30 but that never happens!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

suomi wrote: »
    I'm surprised that so many have their Christmas dinner so early! I love eating it when it's dark outside and you can light candles and it's all cosy and warm, I couldn't imagine having it during the day. :o

Feel sorry for whoever has to cook it as they spend all day waiting to cook it! You can't relax properly when that has to be done no matter how much prep is done in advance :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

We have our's in the morning at half eight - so we can get a clear run at the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

We have ours around 1.30/2. That started because my mam used to do a birthday tea for me in the evening and we'd be too stuffed if we had it later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Feel sorry for whoever has to cook it as they spend all day waiting to cook it! You can't relax properly when that has to be done no matter how much prep is done in advance :(

+1.

Don't cook it myself but I imagine it's some amount of effort and great to get it cooked by the afternoon. I'd say it'd be awful waiting around all day. When it's finished you've all evening then to relax and enjoy the day.

Have it around 2.30/3.00 usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

We have ours on Christmas Eve, with family and friends. Dinner on Christmas Day is a much more relaxed affair, with just the four of us. Not very traditional!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

2pm - Christmas lunch, really, not dinner.

Rest of day - postprandial somnolence :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

We have it at about 6pm, theres usually about 10 people in the house so prep takes a few hours but its fun having everyone involved :)

We have ours at about 1 -2, so that whoever is in charge can have a break for the rest of the day. I'd hate to be waiting to start dinner for 8 pm or even 6, as by the time its over and all cleaned up you'd be too exhausted!

We actually have a late dinner on Xmas eve, just family, and exchange family gifts afterwards. Its nice to have the mix of private time and family and friends time the next day.

I can't wait now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭touts

Camo22 wrote: »
    Going to the girlfriends parents house this year, should be sufficently awkward all day...

Ouch. Most couples I know didnt do that at least until there was a ring sparkling on her hand. Christmas dinner together means becoming a long term family member. Still you have18 days to get the ring sorted and the proposal done so lots of time yet.

1-2pm for us. That way you are free to relax for the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gotya

touts wrote: »
    Ouch. Most couples I know didnt do that at least until there was a ring sparkling on her hand. Christmas dinner together means becoming a long term family member. Still you have18 days to get the ring sorted and the proposal done so lots of time yet.

Or get the ring sorted and wait untill dinner time Christmas day for the proposal :)

Dinner here is 1-2pm also.

• Subscribers Posts: 126 ✭✭Camo22

touts wrote: »

I normally have dinner at my sisters but they are away this year! My preference was to stay at home but apparently thats not an option. No chance of a ring yet..... Might be awkward so!!

Advertisement