Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonliffe Harriers 5k Xmas cracker 16th December

Options
  • 03-12-2012 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭

So, after last year's controversy, will the route be accurate this year? Anyone doing this? Same route?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Am interested in this myself, haven't heard very much about the race this year (after all the nonsense last year). Generally club organised races are good, wonder what the route is like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

pconn062 wrote: »
    Am interested in this myself, haven't heard very much about the race this year (after all the nonsense last year). Generally club organised races are good, wonder what the route is like?

Online entry is closed but you can register on the day. Hopefully it's same route as last year which would be start on Morton track and down Swords road, through Northwood Park, back out Ballymun gate of Northwood and back around to Morton track for a lap I think (plus the extra little bit!). Details are scant. Great flat course if it's the same and is accurate this year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Might do this myself, rumours of a 12 pubs on the 15th though. Anyone know if there are many slots left?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

According to someone from Clonliffe I was talking to, it's starting an hour later this year to allow the track to thaw, if it's a cold morning, so they shouldn't have the issues they had last year with ice that meant the course ended up short.
    I ran it last year and really enjoyed it - nice course, great support, a chance to run on the track & a great welcome in the Clonliffe clubhouse after.

Ososlo wrote: »
    Online entry is closed but you can register on the day. Hopefully it's same route as last year which would be start on Morton track and down Swords road, through Northwood Park, back out Ballymun gate of Northwood and back around to Morton track for a lap I think (plus the extra little bit!). Details are scant. Great flat course if it's the same and is accurate this year.

Thanks for that, is it this race here?

http://www.runireland.com/events/european-recycling-platform-5k-christmas-cracker-fun-run

Entry still seems to be open, looks like the right race, 16th @ 11, finishing on Morton track or is this just a coincidence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

pconn062 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, is it this race here?

http://www.runireland.com/events/european-recycling-platform-5k-christmas-cracker-fun-run

Entry still seems to be open, looks like the right race, 16th @ 11, finishing on Morton track or is this just a coincidence?

That's the one alright pconn!
    I'm hoping to do this myself as it literally runs past my door.
    Course is fast. Very slight drag (at the entrance to Northwood) from km1 for a few hundred metres but you won't feel it. Slight drag then around half way for about 50m past Northwood gym until you're out onto Santry Avenue but then it's flat with a little bit of downhill to the finish line!
    As fair a course as you could ask for!

belcarra wrote: »
    Course is fast. Very slight drag (at the entrance to Northwood) from km1 for a few hundred metres but you won't feel it. Slight drag then around half way for about 50m past Northwood gym until you're out onto Santry Avenue but then it's flat with a little bit of downhill to the finish line!

sorry! I was led to believe it was closed for online entry. I tried there now and it still seems to be open, you're right.
    I run this route all the time (bar the track bit) and it had major pb potential. Just be careful not to trip on the bloomin car ramps when running through Northwood estate;)

belcarra wrote: »

Thanks for that belcarra, will stick it in the diary!

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ChampionChip

Pleased to say we are chip timing this year with text messages, LED screen and split times also on the menu.

Start and finish on the track with start and finish mats as standard. We will have a spotter mat before the finish so you will hear your name called out off the Ipad as you approach the finish.

Look forward to seeing you all there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Looking forward to this race.Clonliffe knowhow to put on a great race and spread afterwards.
    Will keep me away from anymore x-mas parties :D

• Advertisement

Very little advertising for this locally. Not even a banner on entrance to the athletic stadium like last year :confused: Wonder what entry numbers are like. Hope it's not too small a field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Numbers are up on last year from what I hear.Looking forward to this race ;)

Numbers are up on last year from what I hear.Looking forward to this race ;)

glad to hear that! Can't wait to run on an actual athletics stadium track for the first time:D

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ChampionChip

Maybe it's just me but I keep getting an error when I try to download the results.

EDIT: Working now, apologies must have been an error on my side!

Great race today! Perfectly organised and perfectly measured. Loved the track laps at start and finish. Seemed like a great turnout too but I'd say it could have been even better with more local advertising. Very welcoming race and a perfect morning for it. Wouldn't say it's a race for a complete beginner or a walker as advertised, as if I'd done it last year I would have been nearly last! Really looking forward to this next year and wish they held more of these races for non-club runners during the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

Advertisement