Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiet CPU cooler

Options
  • 03-12-2012 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Box, Sockel AM3
    ASUS M5A97 R2.0, AM3+, ATX
    8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance blau PC3-12800U CL9
    XFX Radeon HD 7850 Core Edition, 1GB GDDR5
    Thermaltake Smart Power 630W
    Thermaltake V3 BlacX Edition HDD Docking Station
    WD Caviar Blue 1TB 6Gb's
    Samsung 128 GB SSD

This is my recent PC build

And I used the CPU cooler that comes with the CPU

My PC is very loud

Any suggestions of a quiet CPU cooler I can get in Ireland, please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog_v2.cgi?type=product&id=28502

Will be better than stock. But just how noisy is it? Have you OC'd? 965 shouldnt be that loud stock. Is it mounted properly? If its not pressed to the CPU properly it wont pull heat fast enough and the fan will spin up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I bought a Phenom II x4 925, and replaced the stock cooler immediately with a hyper 212 plus. I'm not sure if it was because of that, or whether it would have happened anyway, but either way, for 2 years my fan was set to automatically be at 100%. I went into the BIOS, set it to be at 25%, and to kick up a notch when the CPU reaches 40 degrees. This totally solved the noise issue.

This could very well be your problem. I hypothesised that the reason it was so was because of a safety thing, as in, since the CPU was using an "unfamiliar" cooler, it auto set to 100% as a safety thing. But seeing as you're potentially having the same problem, it may just have been a minor fault in some Phenoms.

Let me know if this works for you. I'd be interested to hear other comments on this too, I was quite surprised when I found this out some months ago haha. My fan was working overtime for 2 years haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Gumbi wrote: »
    I bought a Phenom II x4 925, and replaced the stock cooler immediately with a hyper 212 plus. I'm not sure if it was because of that, or whether it would have happened anyway, but either way, for 2 years my fan was set to automatically be at 100%. I went into the BIOS, set it to be at 25%, and to kick up a notch when the CPU reaches 40 degrees. This totally solved the noise issue.

This could very well be your problem. I hypothesised that the reason it was so was because of a safety thing, as in, since the CPU was using an "unfamiliar" cooler, it auto set to 100% as a safety thing. But seeing as you're potentially having the same problem, it may just have been a minor fault in some Phenoms.

Let me know if this works for you. I'd be interested to hear other comments on this too, I was quite surprised when I found this out some months ago haha. My fan was working overtime for 2 years haha.

If PWM were to not work I assume it would default to 100% like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Paramenio

ED E wrote: »

If PWM were to not work I assume it would default to 100% like that.
    No I checked that in bios is set Quiet mode. And is working around 50%.
    Im sure its the stock cooler.

Ps from your 2 year overwork at least we know that is a reliable cooler.
    Is it quiet as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Paramenio wrote: »
    No I checked that in bios is set Quiet mode. And is working around 50%.
    Im sure its the stock cooler.

Ps from your 2 year overwork at least we know that is a reliable cooler.
    Is it quiet as well?

Yeah, sooo much quieter than it used to be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Any of the ones with a much larger fan should be much quieter, you will be limited in what you can get if you only buy in Ireland though.

Advertisement