Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPod touch 5th Generation (USA vs IRL)

• 03-12-2012 2:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Ok quick question, on apple website & looking at the iPod touch (5th Gen)...
    currently the iPod is on a different price completely, and its actually a serious difference!

apple US has the new iPod at 299$, thats 230euro
    apple IE the iPod is 329 euro.

can anyone tell me why were paying nearly a hundred euro extra?

even with 23 percent vat on the USA's 230 its still only hitting 282.90, which is again close to 50 euro more.

Also, i have relations in the states, am hopefully gonna get one for an xmas present for the other half, I wouldn't imagine there is any problems, but i need to know would there be any problems with USA ones working over here??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

* There is no difference between US and IRE iPods except for the price.

* The sales tax hasnt been added on to the $299 iPod which will account
    for some of the price discrepancy but all Apple products are traditionally
    cheaper in the states.

If you have relatives there use em, but i suspect, that by the time you
    have dealt with the hassle of getting a relative to buy one for you,
    transfer money and organise a reliable courier, it might not be worth
    it all for an iPod thats €310 delivered from Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ckeogh

* There is no difference between US and IRE iPods except for the price.

* The sales tax hasnt been added on to the $299 iPod which will account
    for some of the price discrepancy but all Apple products are traditionally
    cheaper in the states.

If you have relatives there use em, but i suspect, that by the time you
    have dealt with the hassle of getting a relative to buy one for you,
    transfer money and organise a reliable courier, it might not be worth
    it all for an iPod thats €310 delivered from Amazon.

thanks for the info, surely its gotta be worth the 100euro difference, even after shipping, few euro left over to get other presents... any idea of a reliable courier & charges?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

ckeogh wrote: »
    thanks for the info, surely its gotta be worth the 100euro difference, even after shipping, few euro left over to get other presents... any idea of a reliable courier & charges?

Don't forget import duty and tax on top of everything.

I could be wrong here, but wouldn't buying from the States negate the usual warranty that we're granted by the Sale of Goods Act?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Don't forget import duty and tax on top of everything.

I could be wrong here, but wouldn't buying from the States negate the usual warranty that we're granted by the Sale of Goods Act?

Apple ignore that anyway. You follow their process regardless.

Yeah but if he tried to claim it they could easily say it was bought in the US s is exempt from the law.

• Advertisement

ckeogh wrote: »

Id use UPS or Fedex and theyre not cheap. Also if your hit with customs
    its definitely not worth your while. Make sure you get family to declare it
    as a Christmas gift if you go ahead with it.

Yeah but if he tried to claim it they could easily say it was bought in the US s is exempt from the law.

Apple have worldwide warranty policy, no questions asked.

Apple have worldwide warranty policy, no questions asked.

Okay I'll try and make myself super clear cos maybe I'm causing some confusion.

Yes Apple have a worldwide limited warranty which is good for 1 year as well as 90 days technical support over the phone. Goods bought in Ireland are also covered under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act which offers more protection to Irish consumers. e.g. more than a year

So if OP gets an iPod from the US and it breaks in a year and a half I would think he'd be out of pocket for a repair as I don't think Apple would entertain the SoG Act when it wasn't purchased in Ireland in the first place.

Again, I could be mistaken on all of this but I just wanted to throw my 0.02c in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Advertisement