Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic-sounding Christmas songs?

Options
  • 03-12-2012 2:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Every year I plan on building "of of those" Christmas song playlists, not with any of the more recent Christmas hits (when by more recent I mean the past thirty to forty years)... but I don't get very far. I want this year to be different.

Some examples of songs that fit the bill:

You get the idea. Yup, I have "White Christmas" by Bing Crosby (of course!), Jingle Bells by Elvis and the Jordanaires, and I have some sort of a mashup of Here We Come a Carolling, We Wish You a Merry Christmas and Deck the Halls by God knows who.

While Christmas songs would be great, I don't mind if they're of the same ilk but technically not Christmas songs. i.e. "Christmas-sounding" works!

For example:

I also don't mind if the songs are modern and indie, e.g. White Winter Hymnal by the Fleet Foxes. I'm just trying to get a playlist so that when we have guests over, it's not like we've turned on Christmas FM on in the background. And I want to avoid Michael Bublé, Susan Boyle, etc., etc.!

Does anyone have any song suggestions for me to add to my playlist?

And yup, I have tried every list on the internet, but most of them are crowded with all the stuff that's played over, and over, and over on the radio, so they don't help.

V.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

I love this! Great winter song by Dean Martin and Sinatra! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

This one is one of my favourites:

It's probably one of the songs that gets played all the time though!

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

I am like you, I like the old fashioned Christmas songs.

I can highly recommend "Christmas With the Rat Pack" and "A Merry Christmas with Bing Crosby and the Andrews Sisters" (my fave)

also Michael Buble's christmas album is just lovely too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Love this one :)

Bing Crosby - You're all I want for Christmas!

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Here are a few that I have saved on Youtube from last year :D

Yes I did get inspiration from the Home Alone soundtrack...how did you guess? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Love this one from Roy Orbison:

this one from The Weavers:

Also, slightly later than you wanted, but this is really underrated I think:

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Inventive User Name

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Vivara

Wow every single one of these are flipping amazing! I wasn't expecting such a good response...

Hopefully we can get a good thread going here, actually!

V.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Vivara wrote: »
    Wow every single one of these are flipping amazing! I wasn't expecting such a good response...

Hopefully we can get a good thread going here, actually!

V.

Hopefully so, I have picked up a few new ones for my Christmas Youtube playlist as well thanks to all the other posters :)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Shoota

Irish Indie Christmas song - check!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ77z0KR6mc

I bought a cd during the week that has Irish artists singing Christmas songs. It's not 'classic' but definitely a bit different. Just listening to it now :D

It's called 'A Murray Christmas' and cost €9.99 in hmv. Pic of playlist attached :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 SamHealy

Frosty the snowman, sung by Gene Autry is one of my favourites

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM6dYJztQwE

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

I heard this on Christmas FM!

Advertisement