Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 3 - Episode 8. Made to suffer

13»

Comments

Jikashi wrote: »
    One thing you must always keep in mind with The Walking Dead Universe is the noone is safe.

'cept Rick :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Jikashi

'cept Rick :-P

Well the story is his, just like the comic, which unlike the TV series, has very few scenes that take place somewhere Rick isn't present, so he's safe in the sense he'll likely survive the show, but if he goes though half the pain and loss his comic counterpart does, safe might be the right word

UNLESS, and I don't think this is likely but would be a shocker twist, Rick dies somewhere down the line and the story shifts to Carl when he's older and a more proficient, brutal, decisive, protector of his ever-changing group, driven to never again make a mistake and cost someone's life like his indirect killing of Dale in Season 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Jikashi wrote: »
    UNLESS, and I don't think this is likely but would be a shocker twist, Rick dies somewhere down the line and the story shifts to Carl when he's older and a more proficient, brutal, decisive, protector of his ever-changing group, driven to never again make a mistake and cost someone's life like his indirect killing of Dale in Season 2.

That's a believable way for the show to end. Finding a cure is meh, and having everybody die has been done. It also works thematically, as they could go the route of showing lessons learned and the values that matter in the 'real' world, that it'd take an event as significant as a zombie apocalypse for people to realise.

Previously, I would have balked at the idea of Karl taking over as the central character, but they've done some SERIOUS damage control this series that, if it were to end that way, I'd probably be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Am I the only one who found the exchange between Axel and Carol hilarious? And so believable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

I cannot believe a child taking over a group in a post apocalyptic scenario. Daryl or Glenn are both better suited should anything happen to Rick. C/Karl just wouldn't be taken seriously by anyone. I'm surprised it's being suggested TBH.

As Merle said about Glenn, you don't scare easy. We already know Daryl's stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I don't think people are suggesting that Karl take over the group right now (unless I've skimmed over something and missed it). What I'm getting is that people suggest they may build to him doing so when he's older. And the writers are building towards that: look how Herschel deferred to his lead when Tyreese et al came into the prison, for example. They at least want you thinking along those lines right now, regardless of what they end up actually doing in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

leggo wrote: »
    look how Herschel deferred to his lead when Tyreese et al came into the prison, for example.

I took that as Herschel giving his approval to Carl for doing the right thing, as opposed to deferral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

It's still questionable how much of Carl's turn has been really and how much has been mimicry, he still wears Rick's shieff's hat after all. There's turns left in his story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

leggo wrote: »
    I don't think people are suggesting that Karl take over the group right now (unless I've skimmed over something and missed it). What I'm getting is that people suggest they may build to him doing so when he's older. And the writers are building towards that: look how Herschel deferred to his lead when Tyreese et al came into the prison, for example. They at least want you thinking along those lines right now, regardless of what they end up actually doing in the future.

In all fairness it's a huge stretch, it's a new series. Look at home many have been killed one way or another since the outbreak, all the close shaves they've had, even just on straight supply runs from relatively safe locations like the farm or the prison. To install Karl as leader the story line would need to skip on ahead 12-15 years minimum. Sure there'd be damn all left out of the original group. Got to say if they done something like that I don't think I'd be too bothered about following it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭giggii

In all fairness it's a huge stretch, it's a new series. Look at home many have been killed one way or another since the outbreak, all the close shaves they've had, even just on straight supply runs from relatively safe locations like the farm or the prison. To install Karl as leader the story line would need to skip on ahead 12-15 years minimum. Sure there'd be damn all left out of the original group. Got to say if they done something like that I don't think I'd be too bothered about following it.

Definitely. While we've seen a huge maturation on Carl's part he's in no way equipped to be a leader yet, and won't be for a considerable time. If anything were to happen to Rick (which is highly unlikely (comic book
    Kirkman has said that Rick is the one character he'd never kill and has regretted doing certain things to his character at certain points in the book, ie cutting off his hand...
    ), I think Rick will be there till the end, or at least incredibly close to the end of the series) I think Darly or Glenn would be far more likely to be his successors... With the way things are at the moment, the only was we could see Carl becomming the leader would be in an epilogue after the series finale, set several years into the future where the series left off...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Great series so far! Season 3 is defiantly the best of the series so far IMO.

Carl still irritates the life out of me, he's not growing on me at all.

Love Daryl, he's a great character and he's grown a lot over the 3 seasons, he's after turning into a major character and i defiantly don't see him dying anytime soon.

If he and Merly both escape it'll cause a lot of problems IMO, I don't think Daryl will be quick to abandon Meryl for the group or for Rick. At this stage Daryl has a lot of say within the group, without him they would be severely weakened so they wont want to lose him. TBH i think they will kill Meryl off as i can't see the group taking him on under any circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I wish they hadnt killed off Donna so quickly ... :/ I liked her in the comics. Same goes for Oscar, I was really liking him too, and again , like AMC always do they kill off the new character needlessly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I started watching at the end of Nov (as in Season 1, episode 1) and am now fully up to date with it :D

Andrea annoys the life out of me- I hated the way she bitched at Dale (RIP :() when he was just trying to look out for her. And now she's way too enamoured with Governor for my liking (hopefully that won't last too much longer and she'll return to the group).

I am happy they've brought in a new location (the town), as the same handful of characters on the same location was getting old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

I started watching at the end of Nov (as in Season 1, episode 1) and am now fully up to date with it :D

That's a lot of TV and many zombie deaths in a short while.
    Wish I could start from Episode 1 again.

Advertisement