Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

load optimized cpu oc settings or manual?

Options
  • 03-12-2012 3:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 54,391 ✭✭✭✭

Just curious about the answer. I have my cpu watercooled.

CPU i5 2500k oc 4.4 and the motherboard is the ASRock Z77 Extreme4.

It can handle the 4.4 according to intel burn test but I get the blue screen with 4.6.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Settings? vCore, LLC, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,391 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Serephucus wrote: »
    Settings? vCore, LLC, etc.

all set to auto as far as I can see

Well there's your freaking problem!

Have a read through my overclocking guide in the B&U 101 thread, then we'll talk.

Well there's your freaking problem!

Have a read through my overclocking guide in the B&U 101 thread, then we'll talk.

But to be honest it handles the 4.4 without any trouble afaik unless 4.4 would perform alot better setting the oc manually?

It wouldn't perform any better, no, but it would pull less power, and run cooler. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to hit 4.8 with that chip and cooling though.

• Advertisement

It wouldn't perform any better, no, but it would pull less power, and run cooler. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to hit 4.8 with that chip and cooling though.
    Thats what I wanted to know, thanks

much of a difference between 4.4 and 4.8?

400MHz of difference. :)

Depends what you're doing, etc. is your CPU bottlenecking anything? Do you want more power (yes)? Blah blah stuff.

I suppose when you go all thru the effort of wc, you want the best. So maybe ill go for the 4.8

Serephucus in the pics are the layout of my bios. Iv looked high and low for a walkthru of oc i5 with my motherboard but cant never find one

Also here's a vid that doesnt have much details as the pics but again gives you the idea of the bios options

Right, first thing, restore default settings. Then, have a look at what your vCore is set to, and manually set it, then, pump the CPU multiplier up one, boot into Windows and run Intel BurnTest for a half hour, if you pass it, increase the multiplier one again, if not, increase vCore by one. Continue until you hit temps you're not comfortable with, or you get to the speed you want.

Right, first thing, restore default settings. Then, have a look at what your vCore is set to, and manually set it, then, pump the CPU multiplier up one, boot into Windows and run Intel BurnTest for a half hour, if you pass it, increase the multiplier one again, if not, increase vCore by one. Continue until you hit temps you're not comfortable with, or you get to the speed you want.

So that would be cpu voltage in the pics and what would be cpu multiplier?

• Advertisement

CPU ratio (all core) is your multiplier, and CPU voltage is your vCore. Since you're already at 4.4, set it to 4.4 (after restoring default BIOS settings!) and the voltage to 1.3, see if that boots/lasts through a stress test. If it doesn't, bump up the voltage one, etc.

Advertisement