Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League Draft Match 8: Xavi6 v Yurt

• 03-12-2012 3:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭

This match will decide a place in the QFs and will last for 48 hours (counting from 3pm), in which time the participants will need to outline their team, basic strategy, and strategy against their opponent.

There will be a poll but only votes with answers developed in a post will be taken into consideration. This development doesn't have to be paragraphs long, even a single sentence is fine. But don't vote until the competitors have had a chance to outline their teams.

Who wins? 6 votes

Xavi6
    0%
    Yurt
    100%
    redzerdrogSantryRedeagle eyeBig Pussy BonpensierobucketybuckIncognitoMan 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Best of luck to Yurt!

Righto, I'll just go through my team for now and come up with a suitable rebuttle once his goes up.

Goalkeeper: Solid. Szczesny is young and very talented so I don't envisage too many problems here. One of the best in the league imo.

Full backs: Pablo Zabaleta is a model of consistency, and has been the Player of the Season so far for many City fans. He's dependable, plays with a great attitude, and is a great defender. Perfect. On the other side, Marc Wilson exhibits a lot of the same qualities as Zab and has been quietly going about his business as a firm first choice at Stoke. Once he gets back from injury he'll be back in again no doubt.

Centre halves: The captain of the reigning Premier League Champions will skipper my side. Kompany is arguably the best centre back in the league so it's a no brainer to have in there. Alongside him, Gary Cahill is recognised as a very good player by Chelsea fans who would rather him start than the likes of David Luiz. No nonsense with the ability to score the odd spectacular goal.

Central midfielders: Mohamed Diame arrived at West Ham on a free transfer from Wigan and his impace on the game against Chelsea on Saturday showed just what a bargain the Hammers got. Strong, tenacious, good on the ball with a great engine, he is a super player. He'll sit nicely in front of the back, allowing Osman and Arteta to get forward and form a front five. Both of those players have shhown an eye for goal in the past, while Arteta provides a real threat from dead balls. The balance between the three is excellent.

Wingers: Marc Overmars was awesome in his time at Arsenal . My other wide man is Seb Larsson and he is up there with the best deliverers of a cross or dead ball. Can play off both feet when needed like Overmars so offers the option of switching wings as needed.

Striker: One of the few beacons of light in Sunderland's season so far, Fletcher has consistently scored goals in the Premier League despite never playing for a very good team. Over 30 goals in three seasons with Sunderland, Wolves and Burnley, imagine what he could do with a better quality of player giving him the service...

Variety: Rather than speaking specifically about tactics, there's one thing I've always had in mind when picking my team and that's the ability to change the shape of the team as needed.

The first obvious move is to allow Larsson and Overmars a licence to switch wings. Both can play on their weaker foot so will be comfortable on either side.

Secondly, Diame's dynamism will allow both full backs to push on as he drops between Kompany and Cahill to provide cover. Zabaleta in particular likes to get forward and can often be found ahead of the winger for City in the opposition penalty area. This adds another dimension to the attack. Wilson has also displayed this ability to push forward with Stoke, and also with Ireland as his recent goal shows.

With the full backs getting forward, I fancy us to peg back any opposition team on the wings.

Here's the starting formation:

abDKPipaou.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

abDP7Xnajc.jpg[/url]

First of all best of luck to Xavi6

Goalkeeper:Tim Howard has been one of the most consistent keepers in the league since he joined i can't recall him making as many howlers as Szczesny in recent years and i'm sure i have a strong advantage out of the two Goalkeepers.

FullbacksGael Clichy has been the best left back in the league for quite a few years ago,And he's certainly justified his transfer to Man City.He will provide a constant threat going forward while being responsible at the back.Martin Kelly has done fantastic for Liverpool since he emerged as Liverpool first choice right back last year forcing Glen Johnson to play left back.He recently won the northwest young player of the year beating off competition from Everton,Man City,United and Bolton U-21's.Kelly IMO is one of the best RB's in the league if this competition is judged on ability.

Centre HalvesStoke city have praised for there ability to keep clean sheets and Ryan Shawcross has been pivotal to the Stoke defence.A highly under rated defender who should get a move to a big club in the next few years.Younes Kaboul fits in perfectly to my footballing philosophy.A ball playing defender who likes to play out of defence.

Centre MidfieldersWith Lucas Leiva and Abou Diaby i expect to completely dominate the midfield.Lucas Leiva has been unquestionably Liverpool's best player in the last 3 years.His ability to control the midfield and break up any play is the reason why Liverpool fans speak of him in the same breath as Suarez,or Gerrard.The tireless energy of Abou Diaby beside him will frustrate any midfield they come up against.

WingersGareth Bale in his current form would destroy any RB whether it was Gary Neville in his prime or an ageing Pablo Zabaleta.I expect him not only to chip in with assists but to also score a few goals.and even win a few free kicks :) On the other wing we have Theo Walcott who is in the form of his life in what is probably the winter of Arsenal Career which probably means he will go onto a bigger team and improve even more as a player as we have seen with Fabregas,Van Persie,Clichy etc,

Attacking MidfielderAdel Tarrabt is undoubtedly a very talented player,playing in a team of this quality i expect him to drag defenders all over the place creating spaces for wingers to cut in and for Cantona.

StrikerEric Cantona will bully the defence and score goals from all over the pitch one of the best players to ever play in the premiership a perfect player to lead the line for me.For anyone who forgets just how good he was have a look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr--6BejqAY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yurt
    Kaboul, Kelly, Lucas and Diaby are all injury prone in recent times or longer. So its gotta be Xavi6 for me in this one.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Kaboul, Kelly, Lucas and Diaby are all injury prone in recent times or longer. So its gotta be Xavi6 for me in this one.

Again it's Current abilitylook at Lucas last week as an example he came back after nearly 4 months out and if was as if he hadn't missed a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yurt
    Yurt wrote: »
    Again it's Current abilitylook at Lucas last week as an example he came back after nearly 4 months out and if was as if he hadn't missed a game.
    When you picked him he hadn't played a game in months, you now want us to include a game thats happened last weekend? I don't think thats fair at all.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    When you picked him he hadn't played a game in months, you now want us to include a game thats happened last weekend? I don't think thats fair at all.

When i picked him i was of the belief that these drafts tool a long time to complete and i knew Lucas was returning soon.What happens if lets say Van Persie breaks his leg tomorrow would you hold that against who ever has him ?

Having 1 or 2 serious injuries in your career doesn't make you injury prone.I picked the players i picked on there current ability,not there current form.You have picked Xavi6 ahead of me because you are off the belief that i am after sending out 4 crippled players to play a match.

You don't think it's fair that i include Lucas performance from last weekend in a game that started today ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Yurt
    Went for Xavi, like the balance to his team, defence and midf is better imo.

I don't think injury proneness is *that* important in this, however there has to be some questions raised about players who pick up niggles a lot or have a history of missing games through muscles tears and that kind of thing. IMO that's the difference between say Lucas or Diaby and Marc Wilson who broke his leg.

On the teams, Bale will no doubt be viewed as one of Yurt's main players, yet I have the perfect full back to keep him quiet, as evidenced in the recent City/Spurs game at the Etihad. Bale did pretty much feck all thanks to another excellent Zabaleta display.

While Steven Fletcher isn't the most glamorous of strikers, he'll be up against one solid midtable defender in Shawcross and one below average (imo) player in Kaboul who has been in and out of the Spurs team at various stages. I fancy Fletcher to at least get on the scoresheet against those two.

Taarabt's lack of defensive capabilities and general laziness means I'll have a 3 v 2 in the middle of the park for the most park. Even if he does decide to get involved, Diame will have him in his pocket. Even Robbie Savage managed to that.

Cantona was never a number 9 either so Kompany and Cahill will be faced with one striker who likes to drop deep. Happy days, one can follow him while the other stays loose.

I really would fancy my lads to keep a clean sheet in this one and at least score once through Fletcher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Yurt
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    I don't think injury proneness is *that* important in this, however there has to be some questions raised about players who pick up niggles a lot or have a history of missing games through muscles tears and that kind of thing. IMO that's the difference between say Lucas or Diaby and Marc Wilson who broke his leg.

On the teams, Bale will no doubt be viewed as one of Yurt's main players, yet I have the perfect full back to keep him quiet, as evidenced in the recent City/Spurs game at the Etihad. Bale did pretty much feck all thanks to another excellent Zabaleta display.

While Steven Fletcher isn't the most glamorous of strikers, he'll be up against one solid midtable defender in Shawcross and one below average (imo) player in Kaboul who has been in and out of the Spurs team at various stages. I fancy Fletcher to at least get on the scoresheet against those two.

Taarabt's lack of defensive capabilities and general laziness means I'll have a 3 v 2 in the middle of the park for the most park. Even if he does decide to get involved, Diame will have him in his pocket. Even Robbie Savage managed to that.

Cantona was never a number 9 either so Kompany and Cahill will be faced with one striker who likes to drop deep. Happy days, one can follow him while the other stays loose.

I really would fancy my lads to keep a clean sheet in this one and at least score once through Fletcher.
    2 things I don't agree on there, Bale was quiet due to a poor team performance, and also missing our best player in Demebele (stats show we've won every game in which he's started this season). Last season iirc, Bale scored and almost assisted Defoe at the death, which would have won us the game (City consequently immediately went down the other end of the field and won a pen).

Also, Kaboul was undoubtedly one of the best CBs in the league last season, he was consistently putting in extraordinary performances from which we had seen little of in previous seasons, any Spurs fan will tell you that. Our best defender last year.

THFC wrote: »
    2 things I don't agree on there, Bale was quiet due to a poor team performance, and also missing our best player in Demebele (stats show we've won every game in which he's started this season). Last season iirc, Bale scored and almost assisted Defoe at the death, which would have won us the game (City consequently immediately went down the other end of the field and won a pen).

I think you're giving Bale too much of a way out and underselling Zabaleta a bit. Even in one on one situations Bale struggled. He's a top player who has stood up in plenty of games but he was very much off the pace individually and I think it's fair to say that a lot of that was to do with Zabaleta's defending.

As for last season's game, Zabaleta didn't play so I'm going to make a bold statement and say it would've been a different story if he did ;)
    Also, Kaboul was undoubtedly one of the best CBs in the league last season, he was consistently putting in extraordinary performances from which we had seen little of in previous seasons, any Spurs fan will tell you that. Our best defender last year.

Fair enough, you see more of him. Still think Fletcher would have no issues getting something out of that partnership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Yurt. Can't see how Xavi's team would get goals, 1-0 Yurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Yurt
    Tough one this. For Yurts team, Bale and Walcott can be very dangerous, but they are wingers and I do wonder just what their end product is going to be? Cantona wasn't bad in the air, but he is not a striker that will thrive on crosses from the wing, so all Bale/Walcotts pace could be for nothing.

The Cantona question could decide this match. He is quality, but he was always best alongside a Mark Hughes type rather than the lone striker as he is here. I suspect for all the quality on show, Yurts team could struggle at actually finishing the multiple chances they will probably create.

Xavi has the better defense, and his midfield three are as good as any. They will provide a great platform for Overmars and Larson to do their thing. Fletcher is no Shearer/Van Persie, but he is a goalscorer on good form and that could be enough. Xavi to take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Yurt
    If yurt had a striker in there like giroud and cantona in taarabt's position id pick him, no doubt. But as it is I dont think the front 4 combine well. As has so often being said, you aren't going to get the best from cantona there and I just dont think taarabt will not do it often enough for you.

Xavi6 to win this but I think hes lucky yurk has taarabt instead of giroud. Xavi6 isnt great going forward and will struggle for goals.

A 1-0 win for Xavi6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Tough one, the pace of Bale and Walcott would murder Wilson and Zabaletta but they may not have much to aim for in the centre with Cantona more likely to play deep than on the shoulder of the centre backs.

Really like the look of Lucas and Diaby in the centre but they could both lack for support with Bale and Walcott both liable to go awol up front. I think Xavi's extra man in there could see his side dominate the centre but there's no better destroyer of play than Lucas.

It's tough and I'd actually lean towards a draw but Cantona could well prove to be the difference in such a tight game, so I'd go with 1-0 to Yurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

2 very bland teams in comparison to some of the others.

I think both teams will struggle up front but Yurt's team would look more likely to get a goal for me. So Yurt gets the win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Yurt
    Xavi's team to win this all day.

I remember Yurt speaking about Cantona playing in the false nine position. So when Bale and Walcott beat their man, they won't have anyone to cross the ball too. To play a false nine with two wingers and an attacking midfielder is crazy and tactically wouldn't work.

I would fancy Fletcher to nick one every game.

1-0 Xavi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Lucas and Diaby are the basis of a very strong solid center midfield partnership. The front four of Bale, Taarabt, Walcott and Cantona are all match winners. Even on an off day, all of these players are capable of popping up with one piece of magic to win a game. I think Xavi's team would struggle for goals.

Yurt takes it imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Yurt for me, teams stronger in the middle and up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Yurt
    Looking at the current vote tally I can draw only one conclusion.

You kids must not remember just how damn good Marc Overmars was. :)

Far better than Bale, and he makes Xavis attack far better than people seem to think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

I'll go for a 2-2 draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

If its Current Ability, how do we guage someone like Overmars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

naughtb4 wrote: »
    If its Current Ability, how do we guage someone like Overmars?

Legends are judged at their peak in the PL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Jax Teller wrote: »
    Legends are judged at their peak in the PL

Wow id take peak over current anyday, surprised more legends havent been picked over the likes of Kelly etc, or was there a limited Legends Panel

Anyways its Yurt for me dislike Cantona but a solid overall team. Midfield has great ability to dominate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

1 legend round . it was round 8 I think .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Pretty impossible to judge how an imaginary team would gel and how they would compliment each other in reality so on the basis of man to man then Yurts team wins it hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Tough game here but I think Yurt edges it. Xavi has a solid defence but his attack lets him down a bit here. I'm impressed by the balance in Yurts team with a nice cm pairing a couple of good wingers and Tarrabat for the creativity behind Cantona who can score and bring the other attacking players into the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Yurt
    Xavi for me in this one, I like his defence and yurt has 4 players that have been injured all season, I think a team can handle 1 but not 4, it's too big a percentage and shows a lack of planning in the team selection

Advertisement