Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking about canada

• 03-12-2012 3:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi all, I'm hoping someone can help me here. I'm thinking about applying for a visa for Canada but was wondering if I worked and lived illegally in the USA would that put a halt to everything, and also do I have to be in Ireland for a certain period of time before i apply.
    Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

The residency issue for Irish people has been changed and so it's no longer an problem. So you wouldn't need to be in Ireland for any length of time beforehand. How long were you illegal in the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 beefstew

Hey Toni, thanks for getting back. I lived in the US for four years and I'd like to hopefully move to Canada some time next year. I'm a carpenter and just from browsing the net Calgary seems to be fairly busy, would you be able to expand on this any bit ie what is the average wage there, also would most companies expect me to have my own transport and tools from the get go? One last question, Fort Macmurray seems to be buzzing right now but is it hard to get your foot in the in door without any connections

Thanks again...

Give me a few days and I'll get back to you with what I can find out. Know a few people out there so will ask for information of them too. :)

That's excellent Toni, much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

Unless your useless you'll find work anywhere in Canada. In B.C anyway trees are in absolute abundance, so they build everything from them. Only brick work I've seen since getting here is chimneys.

what you will probably find is they don't expect carpenters to be capable of the whole trade. your either a formworker, a framer, a finisher etc. I dunno how they train lads here but If the roles were reversed I doubt they'd get a job in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

In order to get IEC 12 month visa for Canada , you need to provide a police clearance cert for every country you have lived in for the last certain number of years . You may have a problem if you lived in the states illegally . as the dates you entered US will be stamped on your current passport

If you were a chippy in the states for for 4 years , youll find work the first day you go looking here in Alberta ! good framers are in demand and work is more simliar to the states than Ireland
    You will need a car though , not much public transport unless you live and work downtown .For tools id start as a framers helper $15 a hour until ya get properly set up

• Registered Users Posts: 15 snowguy

I have not gone the applying for a visa process in a long time ( 10 yrs +), however I would imagine the application
    process will ask for a list of countries you lived in, and if longer than 6 months a police clearance cert.
    As this will be in your passport ( I'm assuming), not sure how you will get around this.
    When applying for the visa's it does warn you that any false information could make you in-admissable to Canada.
    Even if you lie on the visa, get accepted and then live/ work here and truth comes to light, you could be kicked
    out.
    The choice is yours, I would not feel too good about lying on forms while hoping to start a new life in Canada.

As a side note, the US and Canada share traveller information such as passport info, criminal records etc.

Thanks for the info guys, even tho some of it didn't make for pretty reading! Good to hear work is so plentiful but getting there might be a problem! To be honest if I do happen to move out there it won't be until late 2013, really what I'm trying to do now is to get as much info as possible. I don't mind having to splash some cash on tools and a truck maybe to get set up when I get there but just wondering what an experienced framer should be expecting to earn and also does work become very scarce in the winter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

It varies across Canada. I would say $30 - $40. I don't really have much experience here yet, but in Vancouver things are still moving along. In my opinion I don't think they could afford to slow down much in winter given the length of and the severity of the winters in most parts of the country. I've heard that they wrap scaffolds and blast the heaters inside so your not exposed to excessive cold while working.

In a sentence, they don't slow down anymore than any other contry during winter.

NoelAPM wrote: »
    Unless your useless you'll find work anywhere in Canada.

I'm certainly not useless and it's taken me 3 months to find work. It's different for everybody.

Beefstew PM has been sent, sorry for the delay.

• Advertisement
Advertisement