Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hot towel shave

• 03-12-2012 9:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭

I was getting a hair cut the other day and was watching a guy get it done. I was thinking about booking in but the barber was shaving against the grain. It this normal with a hot towel shave?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

smash wrote: »
    I was getting a hair cut the other day and was watching a guy get it done. I was thinking about booking in but the barber was shaving against the grain. It this normal with a hot towel shave?

Not necessarily, I would say its normal to go with the grain and maybe across at certain parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

There are certain parts of the face you go against the grain! Could be the razor he was using either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

There are certain parts of the face you go against the grain! Could be the razor he was using either!
    He was going against the grain on the neck, which is where the skin is very sensitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Standard straight (cutthroat) razor shave is

1st pass with the grain
    2nd pass across the grain
    3rd pass (and the origin of the phrase 'a close shave') is against the grain.

I often shave the left side of my neck with a straight against the grain (upwards in the case of my neck) as a first pass and get no irritation because a. My razor is usually as sharp as I can get it, and b. Because I'm crap at using my left hand and so 'cheat'. Also I have been shaving with a straight for quite a while (well worth trying folks, no more irritation or ingrown hairs) - new shavers or those getting a shave from someone else for the first time can get some irritation. Barbers used to ask if a close shave was required as it really can irritate; if you are sensitive ask him not to make a 'close shave' 3rd pass against the grain. I rarely shave myself that close.

Come over to the Facial Hair and Hats forum for more shaving related words :D

He was going against the grain on the neck, which is where the skin is very sensitive.

Yep thats right it is but the hair is twice as coarse there as it is on the face.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Yep thats right it is but the hair is twice as coarse there as it is on the face.
    feels the same to me :D

fells the same to me :D

It grows in all different directions too. So there is no right/wrong way to shave!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Had one of these recently, don't think I'll be doing it again. The blade wasn't as sharp as I'd have imagined, wasn't as comfortable as a shave with a safety razor and all 3 of us had a small nick somewhere on our face afterwards. It also took aaaaaaages and they end it with a weird massage, to which I reacted with a mixture of tenseness and hilarity (I was reminded of the Bugs Bunny sketch The Rabbit of Seville)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Had one a few months back, and it was just as Mads described. Was quite nice, mainly due to the hot towel effect and the time taken, but yeah, quite a few nicks (nothing too noticeable on my face, but the two lads I was with had a few obvious ones.)

But yeah, I'd go back for another one, it's a really nice pampering experience. Came bundled with a cigar, brandy and a quick massage (though that was just because the barber I got was also the masseuse) Really nice though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 lechiennoir

Got one of these done in The Grooming Rooms in Dublin not so long ago. Wonderful experience, didn't have a single cut afterward and left very relaxed. Would highly recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

Had one done in town, went in with a massive beard I really wasn't arsed doing myself, not a scratch and very relaxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I'd say it depends on where you're going but while mostly a pleasant experience - a bit of pampering for guys - I never found the shave to be a very good one. And even if done down the grain I always found my skin is not reacting very well to it.
    It's kinda nice but I'm staying away from it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭cul-2008

Got one of these done in Limerick a short while back - never again! She took chunks of skin off my chin and was shaving with very little cream.

That said, it was super smooth!

cul-2008 wrote: »
    Got one of these done in Limerick a short while back - never again! She took chunks of skin off my chin and was shaving with very little cream.

That said, it was super smooth!

And you paid her? Chunks of skin and little cream means she is really untrained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

If you get it done properly its a moment of bliss, it'd recommend the Warldorf in Dublin.
    I normally use a double edge when shaving at home but can't beat a decent hot towel shave.

Gillo wrote: »
    If you get it done properly its a moment of bliss, it'd recommend the Warldorf in Dublin.
    I normally use a double edge when shaving at home but can't beat a decent hot towel shave.

Waldorf.

http://www.waldorfbarbers.com/

Ask for Liam ;)

Do take the hair tonic rub when offered.

Try the veal, it's excellent. I'm here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitress. Thank you, Goodnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

I shared a house with a Turkish barber when I was younger. He introduced me to the hot towel shave. It was complete bliss. Every so often when I feel like treating myself I have one. I never once have been nicked but in saying that I have shaved against the grain for over twenty years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭deadman1972

Ok where does one get a straight edge razor these days and how to sharpen it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Might be better suited here, moved from TGC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Ok where does one get a straight edge razor these days and how to sharpen it?

You can get them from shaving.ie but they will need to be properly sharpened before you can use them.

You could also order them from elsewhere that sell them already shapened. The Superior Shave hone the razors they sell before sending them out (it's stated if you need to pay for this as an extra if necessary). Straight Razor Designs also hones the straight razors they sell.

You will also need a strop to keep the edge in decent shape between shaves. Even then, that will only keep the edge in order for so long before the edge will need a bit of a touch up to make it shave sharp again.

There are a few options available for the maintenance of the razor to keep it sharp. If you want more info I should be able to help out.

Also, how to sharpen is quite straight forward but it does take time and practice to get it right. It's a fairly eaasy skill to pick up if you put some time into it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement