Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Meter inside house?

Options
  • 03-12-2012 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

I'm just looking at a job now, it's an old HSE building and the are 3 meters are inside the house. I would be looking at getting rid of two of them as it's now a private dwelling. The customer wants to leave the meter inside the house though beside the consumer unit to keep the outside of the house looking original. Plus it's an old stone house so the only real option would be a surface mounted meter box.

Is there a way to leave the meter inside in the house or will the ESB have none of it?

Thanks
    Seán

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

If you want a meter moved the ESB have to attend and do the work so far as I know.

I have a Night Rate meter which I no longer use. The ESB quoted €90 to remove it. With meter rent at a little over €2 bi-monthly I have decided to leave the ugly fitting where it is.

All our meters – gas and electric are indoors – it has never been an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

Anyone else know if leaving it inside will be an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Recently rewired a house,existing meter was inside,customer didn't fancy paying €380 to the ESB to move it outside so we left it where it was.

They came out and connected our new tails into the meter in its original indoor position without issue.

If it was new build it would have to be outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

superg wrote: »
    Recently rewired a house,existing meter was inside,customer didn't fancy paying €380 to the ESB to move it outside so we left it where it was.

They came out and connected our new tails into the meter in its original indoor position without issue.

If it was new build it would have to be outside.

agree with this
    if the client wont pay to have it moved then it stays where it is
    client will have to pay for removal of unused meters and connection of tails into themeter thats left

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

Cheers for that lads

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Seanieke wrote: »
    Anyone else know if leaving it inside will be an issue?

None at all. Meet the NT on site, and they may well fit a new meter board and tidy things up for you, time permitting. No charge other than specified. Certainly the relocation fee won't apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Correct me if im wrong, but wasn't there a time they would 'encourage' it to be put outside if possible and the fee was waived on straight forward relocations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

It was always encouraged to move the meter outside, if implicitly, 'cos it suited both parties-but tbh, the relocation fee, at least *a* relocation fee has been in place since time immemorial.

It's just that now it's applied to replastered chimneys etc., as well. And external wall insulation, somewhat controversially.

That's not to say that they wouldn't do a deal, say for example, if a line diversion was taking place to facilitate building work etc.

As always, if in doubt, the local office is the place to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Nothing wrong with having it inside.

Could just put a cabinet or some sort of press over it to make the place look tidy.

Advertisement