Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Space on HTC Desire

• 03-12-2012 10:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

Hi I rooted my desire and installed LeeDroid 3.0.8.2 but cant even install apps anymore with the lack of space. Can I somehow mount my sd card onto the primary partition ? any advice don't really want to get a new phone

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

There are some roms that say they'll give you gigs of storage for apps (like this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1045824 ) but I could never get them to work. You need an EXT4 partition on your SD card, I did all the steps but it just wouldn't work.

Now the SD card keeps disappearing and I have to unmount and mount it just to take a photo.

Very annoying, but the I've had this phone for nearly 3 years so time for a change anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Having space issues on HTC Desire (original) too.

Using Links2sd app to move to SD card but still don't really have a lot of space left on the phone.

Pity because the desire has served me very well and the size and button layout etc of it are perfect so even though I know there are much better phones now, I don't really want to upgrade at all..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I have a 1GB partition on my SD card that I use for apps. I formatted my SD card using 4EXT Recovery.

Then I installed MildWild-CM 5.5 and it automatically picks up the external partition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭cormie

The B Man, when you go to manage apps, how much internal space does it say you have used and free?

I was thinking it may be time to upgrade phones but all the new ones seem too big, even the One X+ is a bit too bulky for my liking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

If you have partitioned your SDcard, have a look to see if you need to instal a specific script to get a2sd to run on your phone. I know for some roms this can be simply a few commands in the terminal emulator on your device (something like su > a2sd > install a2sd), where on others you'll need to find a zip file that you run from recovery.

The alternative is to flash a custom hboot which repartitions the /system part (I think!) part of your phone. For example, with oxygen, the rom itself is only 100mb, leaving a free 150 mb in the system partition. So there is a custom hboot on alpharev that takes that free space and allocates it for apps (there's a similar one for cm7). This is the way I went since my sd card was acting up, and kept freezing the phone. Be careful though, as fiddling around with these aspects of your phone can very easily brick it beyond repair, so be careful and don't do it unless you're confident and read up on the risks and ins and outs before proceeding.

• Advertisement

If you have partitioned your SDcard, have a look to see if you need to instal a specific script to get a2sd to run on your phone. I know for some roms this can be simply a few commands in the terminal emulator on your device (something like su > a2sd > install a2sd), where on others you'll need to find a zip file that you run from recovery.

I just put a new rom on there now, I partitioned the SD card but when I used the terminal emulator to install a2sd and then rebooted all it did was make my SD card invisible.

Guess I'll reformat and try again.

cormie wrote: »
    The B Man, when you go to manage apps, how much internal space does it say you have used and free?

I was thinking it may be time to upgrade phones but all the new ones seem too big, even the One X+ is a bit too bulky for my liking!

it says 90mb used, 60mb free.

BUT, I have 700mb free on my 1GB SD card partition.

I'm up and running again.

Used this rom http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1355660
    and these instructions for partitioning the SD card http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1355660 .

An ext2 partition worked after failing with an ext4 a few times. Also had to enable a2sd using the terminal emulator (instructions in the first post of the rom thread).

So now I've got loads of space for apps, ice cream sandwich and google now.

Can you get Google Now on ICS? I thought it was a Jelly Bean only feature?

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Can you get Google Now on ICS? I thought it was a Jelly Bean only feature?

I guess the guy who made this from managed to cook Google now into it somehow. Works pretty well.

The rom is really smooth and I've got loads of space for apps now. Its like a new phone.

I did get stuck in a boot loop though and had to reinstall the whole thing.

• Advertisement

Hmmm, thats pretty interesting. Though I suppose it is really just an app.
    I'm currently on MildWild and its the best ROM I've ever used. I tihnk I used that ICS for All one and it was slower. Has it improved much recently? I dont suppose you've used MildWild and can draw a comparison?

I had a jelly bean ROM on there a few weeks ago, purely for Google Now. It really interests me. Lasted about a week anyway on that ROM before I went back to MildWild. The JB one was good and all, and smooth, but the mildwild one was just much more responsive and snappier.

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Hmmm, thats pretty interesting. Though I suppose it is really just an app.
    I'm currently on MildWild and its the best ROM I've ever used. I tihnk I used that ICS for All one and it was slower. Has it improved much recently? I dont suppose you've used MildWild and can draw a comparison?

I had a jelly bean ROM on there a few weeks ago, purely for Google Now. It really interests me. Lasted about a week anyway on that ROM before I went back to MildWild. The JB one was good and all, and smooth, but the mildwild one was just much more responsive and snappier.

I haven't tried mildwild and my idea of smooth might be different to yours since my phone was totally crap for a while before I put this rom on.

There is a bit of lag in the keyboard now as I'm typing this but scrolling between home screens and stuff is perfect. Its still in beta and there is some issue with the market causing boot loops. I'd stick with what you have tbh and give this 1 more time to iron out the kinks.

What release is mildwild based on? Might try it out myself.

Advertisement