Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO 2013 -All Queries here!

Options
  • 15-11-2012 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Can we please have all queries relating to CAO application 2013 in this thread.

If you are looking for general advice on applications and personal statements there are some great tips and advice in this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055676871

Cheers
    Paperclip2

Ok, I'm thinking of doing an access course next year. Just a question that's been on my mind. If I do the Business Access course in NUIG, and halfway through decide I want to do Psychology (Arts), but wouldn't mind doing commerce/business anyway, would it matter if I put Psychology down as first choice and commerce as my 2nd? And, could I get offered both and then choose?

Same question if I applied to other colleges, and happened to get accepted on a business course say in UCC, can I get multiple offers from other colleges or just one college. First question is most important tho :pac: :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭shinesun

(091) 509800

This is it I presume.
    I am having awful difficulty getting to speak to anyone.
    Ph just rings out no matter what time I ring.
    When applying as a mature student, can you use your cao number from years ago? Do they have to issue me with a password?

Thanks for your advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

RTFM!

All info you need is on their website and in the handbook.

Read the section on mature applicants.

You need to make a fresh application. Any previous CAO application is not relevant.

If you did your leaving cert before, you need to know your original exam number, (not your original CAO number). If you did the LC between 1985 and 2012, and you supply the exam number, CAO will get the data from the SEC.

If you intend to apply on the grounds of being a mature applicant, as opposed to wanting to compete directly with everyone else on the basis of your LC results alone, they you need to contact the admissions office of the university concerned to see what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Only number I see, but I had to take a new number when I applied in 2011. Just put in a new application.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Email them. You should get a response within 24 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭shinesun

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Email them. You should get a response within 24 hours.

Have done. Should get a response soon. Thanks. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Abracastabya

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Ok, I'm thinking of doing an access course next year. Just a question that's been on my mind. If I do the Business Access course in NUIG, and halfway through decide I want to do Psychology (Arts), but wouldn't mind doing commerce/business anyway, would it matter if I put Psychology down as first choice and commerce as my 2nd? And, could I get offered both and then choose?

Same question if I applied to other colleges, and happened to get accepted on a business course say in UCC, can I get multiple offers from other colleges or just one college. First question is most important tho :pac: :cool:

AFAIK if you pick two and get offered your top choice your given that automatically, the college wont offer you a place on both courses (this was the way on my access course). Also if not 100% sure if you want psychology go for business. Apparently social sciences are the some of the hardest degree's to get on for matures as there the most popular, and the degree itself I imagine would be tougher than a business degree. Would the access course give you the chance to try both options as elective modules?

I'm thinking of sticking with business now to be honest.. Just wondered, if I applied to other colleges say commerce in nuig and business with a language in WIT could I be offered both places, or could I only be offered one say if NUIG offered commerce and it was my first choice in galway, and my second was business in WIT, could I only take the NUIG offer? Or could I go with WIT..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

You can only take the highest course you've been offered on your CAO list. You will only get one offer at a time and you can't move down in the list. So if you get offered Business in NUIG and it's no.1 on your list, and you decline you won't receive any other offer. If you get WIT and it's no.2, but then in second rounds a space becomes available in NUIG, you can move up in the list and be offered your no.1

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

If your doing an access course they should explain everything about the CAO to you and will probably go through it with you so you know exactly what your doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Sapphire3

Hello All,

This might sound like a really stupid question but anyway...
    I am back in college doing a PLC level 5 Office Admin. as a mature student (nearly 33 years old) and I want to apply to ITCarlow through the CAO online.

I was looking at the demo form online and I noticed that there were boxes to tick if you want to apply as a mature student or on the basis of your FETAC level 5 award results. I was wondering could I apply as both, and tick the two boxes or can you only tick the one box?

I tried reading the handbook, but it stated nothing about whether you can tick more than one box or not?

Sorry about the silly question but I am nervous about messing up my CAO form.

Any replies or feedback would be welcomed, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ryan T

Sapphire3 wrote: »
    Hello All,

This might sound like a really stupid question but anyway...
    I am back in college doing a PLC level 5 Office Admin. as a mature student (nearly 33 years old) and I want to apply to ITCarlow through the CAO online.

I was looking at the demo form online and I noticed that there were boxes to tick if you want to apply as a mature student or on the basis of your FETAC level 5 award results. I was wondering could I apply as both, and tick the two boxes or can you only tick the one box?

I tried reading the handbook, but it stated nothing about whether you can tick more than one box or not?

Sorry about the silly question but I am nervous about messing up my CAO form.

Any replies or feedback would be welcomed, thanks.

On the paper version of the form both boxes are ticked so I'd assume both on the online form too

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Sapphire3

Ah that's grand then, Thanks Ryan_T

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

RTFM!

If you did your leaving cert before, you need to know your original exam number, (not your original CAO number). If you did the LC between 1985 and 2012, and you supply the exam number, CAO will get the data from the SEC.

Duplicate Irish State Exam certificates can be requested from here https://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ca&sc=co

Is the duplicate thing new-ish? I applied in 2011 and I can't recall sending in the LC results, although I did have to send in a load of other certs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

If you did your LC after 1985, you don't need to get a duplicate cert. for this purpose. Once you supply your original exam number, the CAO gets the data automatically from SEC.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭deadman1972

I have just finished my online cao application (i hope) but they atre asking mature students to post extra stuff,what is that?

Congrats on applying.
    They usually look for copies of any certs you might have received from Further Education or the like. This is generally used to support your application - showing you can complete things, have an interesting in education etc. So, if in your application you said you attended somewhere they want you to show them. Just take a photocopy, write your CAO number on them and stick them in the post.

Hrdly much point posting my leaving cert results from 22yrs ago:D What happens next anyway?

Well, if you have no other awards to send off I think it's the waiting game. One thing to check though is to see if you need/or should take the MSAP. Some colleges look for it. When I put in my application I didn't know about it and only stumbled on it later on.

• Advertisement

Maldesu i explain msap please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

MSAP is an aptitude entrance exam for mature students applying to any of the NUI colleges apply to arts and humanities courses.

Some Uni's such as UCD look for mature applicants to take this test when they apply for some of their courses. It is in 2 parts and I think it took about 2 hours. One part was 2 short essays and the other was questions to see how you managed with general reasoning. This is then added to your CAO application to help support it.

From their website :
    MSAP (Mature Students Admission Pathway) is designed to assess a range of competencies considered important for success in tertiary study. The purpose is to assess your ability to understand and analyse material you will be given, to think critically about issues and to organise and express your thoughts in a logical and effective way

Don't know how my post got in here but no matter:eek: Anyway how do i know if i need this MSAP test for a particular course? Is it only UCD that requires it?:D

Level 8 Course Choices:
    1. DN310 Veterinary Nursing
    2. WD816 Mature Applicants General Nursing (Restricted)
    3. CK713 Mature Applicants Children`s and General Nursing (Integrated) (Restricted)
    4. CK711 Mature Applicants General Nursing (Restricted)
    5. DN451 Children`s and General Nursing (Integrated)
    6. DN460 Mature Applicants General Nursing (Restricted)
    7. TR912 Mature Applicants Children`s and General Nursing (Integrated) (Restricted)
    8. TR092 Mature Applicants General Nursing (Meath and St James`s) (Restricted)
    9. TR914 Mature Applicants Midwifery (Restricted)
    10. DN462 Mature Applicants Midwifery (Restricted)

Level 7/6 Course Choices:
    1. WD155 Information Technology
    2. LY827 Analytical and Forensic Science
    3. LY847 Veterinary Nursing
    4. LY737 Computer Security and Digital Forensics

Am i likely to need the MSAP for any of these(not that i will get any of them anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Level 8 Course Choices:

Am i likely to need the MSAP for any of these(not that i will get any of them anyway).

I put your query in here deadman as this is the CAO thread.

If you want to know whether or not you need MSAP look at their website. It tells you what colleges require you to sit the test:

http://msap.acer.edu.au/

If any of your courses are in the colleges and departments listed then you need MSAP.

Ok thats weird the msap office is in Aussie? What gives?:eek:

University Admission
    Courses requiring MSAP

Courses requiring MSAP to be undertaken as part of the admission process:

National University of Ireland Galway (Modules 1 & 2)

http://www.nuigalway.ie/courses/undergraduate-courses/

GY101 Bachelor of Arts (Omnibus Entry)
    GY103 Bachelor of Arts (Public and Social)
    GY104 Bachelor of Arts (Psychology)
    GY105 Bachelor Arts (History)
    GY109 Bachelor of Arts (Mathematics and Education)
    GY110 Bachelor of Arts with Children’s Studies
    GY111 Bachelor of Arts with Creative Writing
    GY112 Bachelor of Arts with Film Studies
    GY113 Bachelor of Arts with Human Rights
    GY114 Bachelor of Arts with Irish Studies
    GY115 Bachelor of Arts with Theatre and Performance
    GY117 Bachelor of Arts with Latin American Studies
    GY118 Bachelor of Arts with Drama, Theatre and Performance Studies
    GY119 Bachelor of Arts with Journalism
    GY120 Bachelor of Arts (Environment and Society/Youth and Family Studies

University College, Cork (Modules 1 & 2)

CK101 BA Arts
    CK102 BScoSc Social Science
    CK103 BMus Music
    CK104 BA Arts with Music
    CK106 BA Applied Psychology
    CK111 BA Early Years and Childhood Studies
    CK112 BA Drama and Theatre Studies
    CK114 BSocSc Youth and Community Work
    CK115 BSW Social Work
    CK116 BEd Sports Studies and Physical Education

University College, Dublin (Modules 1 & 2)

DN500 - BA Degree Joint Honours - Full Time
    DN501 - BA Degree Joint Honours - Part Time (Day)
    DN510 - Economics
    DN511 - English
    DN512 - English with Drama
    DN513 - English with Film
    DN514 - Planning, Geography and Environment
    DN515 - History
    DN517 - Music
    DN518 - Philosophy
    DN519 - Psychology
    DN531 - International French
    DN532 - International German
    DN533 - International Spanish
    DN541 - International Languages
    DN550 - Social Science

University College, Dublin (Modules 1 & 3)

DN200 - No Preference - General Science
    DN200 - BBB - Biological, Biomedical and Biomolecular Science

DN200 - CCS - Chemistry and Chemical Sciences

DN200 - MPG - Mathematical, Physical and Geological Science

DN201 - Computer Science

DN210 - Archaeology & Geology

DN250 - No Preference - Agricultural Science

DN250 - ACP - Animal & Crop Production

DN250 - AES - Agri-Environmental Sciences

DN250 - ASC - Animal Science

DN250 - ENT - Engineering Technology

DN250 - FAM - Food and Agribusiness Management

DN251 - Animal Science Equine

DN252 - Dairy Business

DN261 - Food Science

DN262 - Human Nutrition

DN271 - Forestry

DN272 - Horticulture, Landscape & Sportsturf Management

That was just for those of you that may happen on this thread and want to know what courses need MSAP:D

• Advertisement

QUICK QUESTION!!!!

Thinking of applying to a couple of colleges. If I was to apply on my CAO like this (just an example)

1st choice: Commerce, NUIG
    2nd choice: Business, WIT
    3rd choice: Commerce, UCC

and say I got offered all three, would I only be able to select Galway or could I accept the WIT offer or UCC?

Thanking y'all :)

Advertisement