Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Ingredient of the Week 14: Black Pudding, White Pudding & Sausages

Options
  • 03-12-2012 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All:

This week we are looking for your recipes for Black Pudding, White Pudding & Sausages.

Ta,

tHB

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I made this once and it was delicious, would definitely make it again.]

Ingredients

Pork steak (or any piece of pork you want)
    Black pudding
    Sausages (all just the sausage meat, no skin)
    Salt, pepper, dried (or fresh) herbs.

1. Mix the black pudding, salt, pepper, herbs and sausage meat in a bowl.
    2. Stuff the mixture into the meat you are using and bang in the oven for about 45 mins to one hour.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

There's a carbonara variant that we make from time to time: get some good quality sausages, slit the skin and extract the sausage meat, then use wet hands to form into small meatballs. Fry these until almost cooked, then add some bacon lardons and cook until crispy. Make the usual carbonara mixture of cream, grated parmesan and eggs, but add the grated zest of a lemon. Meanwhile, cook some pasta (I like spaghetti for this dish), drain, return to the pan off the heat and add the meatballs, lardons and the egg mixture. Toss it all together until the eggs are just cooked and silky.

The sausage meatballs add a whole new dimension to the dish, and the lemon zest in the sauce gives it a real flavour lift also.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

rack on black. this is lovely for a treat, or special dinner

day before
    2 x 6 boned racks of lamb but with the fat/skin still attached
    trim away any sinews so the fat is 2-3 cm in thickness
    1 x 12cm black pudding skinned and cut lenghways
    sit the flat side of pudding halves next to the lamb, season with pepper ( no salt yet of juices will be drawn from meat)
    fold the skin over the pudding and lamb shaping into a cylinder,
    tie at both ends first and then tie at 1-2cm intervals ( trying to get a smooth shape )
    wrap tightly in cling film and in to fridge for 24 hours or overnight to firm up
    preheat oven to 200c
    heat pan over med heat on hob
    season with salt/pepper and rub with oil
    colour slowly turning all the time, when coloured all over put into oven and cook to your liking,
    (pink) 8-10 mins
    (medum) 15-18 mins
    (well done) 20-25 mins
    don't forget to rest meat
    lovely :)

sausage and mustard ( saturday's tea :) )

12 sausages
    1 large onion thinly sliced
    225g mushrooms
    1 cooking apple, peeled cored and chopped
    1 bay leaf
    1 tbsp chopped sage
    300ml chicken or veg stock
    2 tsp dijon mustard
    1 tsp wholegrain mustard
    1 tsp english mustard
    150ml double cream
    salt/pepper

heat oil in casserole or heavy pan with lid
    gently fry sausages over med heat till nicely colored all over, remove from pan
    add onions, cook till softened, add mushrooms cook till lightly brown
    add apple,bay leaf,sage, stock, bring to boil, then return sausages, reduce heat, cover and cook gently for 20 mins,
    mean while , mix the mustards and cream in bowl season with salt/pepper to taste, pour into pan, increase the heat and boil gently till thickened,
    we serve this with cabbage ( left overs) and mash,

oh apple should break down, if not mash with back of spoon

you'd never guess we eat a lot of sausages in our house, stop me at any time :rolleyes:

sausage and bacon stew
    250g black pudding
    250g chorizo
    6-8 sausages
    250 thick cut streaky bacon
    2x400 cans white beans, drained
    pinch of saffron
    1 bay leaf
    60ml red wine
    500ml chicken stock
    1 tbsp olive oil

cut pudding,chroizo,bacon and sausages into large chunks
    heat oil and add meats to pan , fry over med heat for couple of mins,
    increase heat, add wine and reduce for 2-3 mins
    stir in beans, saffron, bay leaf, and enough stock to cover,
    bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 mins

• Advertisement

sausages with butter beans
    12 thick sausages
    1 tbsp oil
    1 onion sliced
    1 celery stick chopped
    2 garlic cloves crushed
    75ml white wine
    400g chopped tomatoes
    3 tblsp tomato ketchup
    1 tsp paprika
    400g can butter beans, drianed
    salt/pepper
    fry sausage till cooked, set aside
    add onion, celery,garlic and fry gently until soft
    turn up heat add wine, let bubble for few mins
    add tomatoes with the juice, and ketchup and paprika, season to taste,
    bring to boil and reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 20mins or until thickened,
    stir in beans,and sausages , simmer for 10 mins
    serve with carrot and potato mash

sausage and white pudding, egg pie

shortcrust pastry
    350g plain flour
    150g cold butter
    25g cold lard
    1 and a half tbsp tomato ketchup
    salt and pepper
    cold water as needed
    I use food processor,
    flour and fats in , pulse till looks like bread crumbs
    add seasoning, ketchup, and enough water to bind
    chill for 30 mins, or make day before :)

450g sausages if your choice skined
    6 slices of white pudding
    1 onion finely chopped
    pinch of nutmeg
    1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
    salt/pepper
    6 streaky rashers
    4 eggs
    milk to glaze
    pre heat oven 200c
    mix all ( but rashers and eggs) well
    roll out pastry and line pie dish
    add your sausage mix and spread evenly over the base
    lay the rashers over in lines
    carefully break eggs over rashers, trying to keep them whole :)
    top with rest of rolled out pastry
    pinch the edges and lightly score,
    brush with milk
    bake for 20 mins and then reduce heat to180c for 30 mins
    leave to cool
    lovely with some homemade chunteys

stop me please ;)

Sausage rolls
    450g sausage meat, or sausages of choice skinned
    1 onion grated
    grated zest of half a lemon
    2 tsp of fresh thyme and sage, finely chopped
    half tsp freshly grated nutmeg
    salt/pepper
    1 egg beaten
    I cheat sometimes and get bought puff pastry

mix together, sausage meat, onion,lemon,chopped herbs,
    season salt/pepper/nutmeg
    put in fridge for half hour
    roll out pastry thinly 2-3cm,on floured surface into 3 long strips about 10cm wide,
    mold sausage meat into 3 long sausage same length as pastry
    place on pastry and brush with egg on one side
    roll up as tight as you can, ending with edge at the base ( if using fresh pastry they now can be frozen, and cooked from frozen)
    brush with egg and using scissors snip 3 times on top
    bake for 20-25 min in a preheated oven 200c
    cool on wire rack

scotch eggs

1 onion finely chopped
    300g of sausages of your choice skinned
    half tsp of crushed dried chillies
    2 tsp dried mixed herbs
    4 hard boiled eggs shelled
    25g plain flour
    salt/pepper
    1 beaten egg
    100g breadcrumbs
    oil for deep frying

mix together sausage meat, onions chilli herbs and season
    coat the eggs in flour,
    quater the sausage meat and flatten
    put egg in the center and gather up meat to encase egg
    dip each egg in beaten egg, if that makes sense :)
    then roll in bread crumbs
    deep fry for 3-4 mins till golden
    drain in kitchen paper and cool on wire rack

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

My name is SDP and I'm addicted to sausages. :-)

• Advertisement

An original Nigel Slater recipe
    Sausage and lentil one-pot
    Posted on June 10, 2011
    I hesitate to call this a stew or a casserole because I don’t really consider it either – it’s a meal in itself complete with lentil-thickened sauce that ends up just the right side of runny. I tend to play around with the Sausages with Salami and Lentils recipe in Nigel Slater’s The Kitchen Diaries – one of my favourite cookbooks, full of seasonal and even weather-based inspiration.

June issues of food magazines are full of salads and exotic fruits and barbeque ideas, but this is Britain and more often than not it’s colder than it should be and tipping with rain. Last night I got home chilly, completely shattered and in need of comfort food.

This one-pot is genius – it’ll soothe and fill you up without the greasy, bloated guilt I get from my usual comfort food staples (always complex carbs, usually one or more of chips, curry or cake). The more I cook with lentils, the more awesome I think they are – filling but not carb-based; comforting but healthy too.

The recipe below uses saucisson sec, but if you can’t get hold of it chorizo works well too. This is such an easy, tasty storecupboard recipe it seems stupid not to make it because of one missing ingredient. As long as you stick to a base of onions, garlic, lentils and tomatoes you can’t go wrong. Try chorizo with dried chillis and a splosh of red wine. Use different herbs for different sausages – Italian pork sausages with fennel and some white wine would be awesome.

And if you’re in a hurry or as knackered as I was last night, you can even have this on the table in ten minutes. Just ditch the sausages and swap ready cooked lentils for the dried.

Feeds four with crusty bread, or two with leftovers to take for lunch (it reheats beautifully).

Ingredients
    2 medium onions
    2 tbsps olive oil
    2 large cloves garlic
    1 small salami (about 200g) eg French saucisson sec, or chorizo (use slightly less, say 150g, if using chorizo)
    150g green lentils
    3 bay leaves or herbs of your choice (sage, thyme, fennel, oregano could all work well)
    1 tin tomatoes or equivalent passata
    6 fresh sausages

Method
    Peel the onions and cut each one in half from tip to root, then cut each half into 4 or 5. Warm the oil in a heavy-based casserole, add the onions and let them cook over a lowish heat until tender. Meanwhile, peel the garlic, slice it thinly and add it to the onions. Stir the onions regularly.

Peel the thin skin from the salami (not necessary with chorizo), then cut the inside into fat matchsticks. Add this to the softening onions and leave for a couple of minutes, during which time the salami will darken slightly. Chorizo will release its oil and turn everything in the pan a luminous orange.

Cut the sausages into four and add them to the pan. Keep things moving until the sausages colour on the outside – they will do most of their cooking once they are in the sauce. Tip the tomatoes into the pan, add the washed lentils and stir in 500ml of water. Sprinkle over the herbs. Bring to the boil, then cover the pot with a lid and leave to simmer gently for about half an hour until the lentils are tender.

Season with black pepper – thanks to the salami you probably won’t need much salt, if any.

Serve with thickly buttered crusty bread and enjoy.

Another Nigel Slater recipe, take good quality sausages and cook on a medium heat for 30 to 40 minutes until well browned and sticky with sausagey goodness. Add cooked puy lentils and chopped parsley. Dress with the best balsamic vinegar you can get.

Another idea is to get a good quality pork sausage and cook as above. Then slice and add back to the pan with garlic, fennel seeds and chilli. Add a whizzed can of tomatoes and cook until saucy. Add to pasta.

Minder wrote: »
    My name is SDP and I'm addicted to sausages. :-)

Oh no! the truth is out there!, help needed please :D

Head bend down in shame :o
    dinner last night, had to give in to secret vice :)

Toad in hole
    batter can be made in morning or day before
    125g plain flour
    pinch of salt/ black pepper
    2 eggs
    300ml milk

8 sausages of your choice, mind you the nice thick ones are great for this

flour and salt/pepper into bowl, make a well in center add eggs, and little of milk whisk to break up eggs, add the rest of milk to to make a smooth batter, leave to rest for 30 mins,( if making day before just whisk up before using)
    pre heat oven 220c
    pour some oil into dish, toss sausages in oil and bake for 5-10 mins
    reduce oven to 200c and carefully pour batter around sausages and return to oven. bake for 30 mins or until crisp and golden
    serve with onion gravy green beans,

Now I'm off to seek help about those sausage! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

sdp, you're the sausage guru :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Fifik1112

Not sure of the origin of this recipe but a friend passed it on to me a few years ago and it's been a winner ever since. Warning: It's very moreish.....

Ingredients:
    8 spicy sausages
    1 x onion
    2 x cloves of garlic
    1/3 bottle of red wine - medium/full bodied. I use Chianti
    Tin of chopped tomatoes
    1/2 tsp of crushed chillies
    2 x bay leaves
    Double cream
    Rocket
    Parmesan

Pasta - I use penne

Method:
    Remove sausages from their casings and fry gently in a heavy bottomed pan in some olive/sunflower oil for about 15 minutes until the meat is cooked through, has coloured slightly but itsn't cripsy IYKWIM.
    Add crushed garlic, chopped onion, crushed chillies and bay leave and let cook for another 5 minutes. Don't allow the garlic/onions to burn.
    Add wine the wine and allow it to reduce by half.
    Add the chopped tomatoes and let simmer until it reduces to a thick consistency.
    In the meantime cook the pasta in salted water.
    Add cream - the amount of cream you add is determined by taste. I don't add too much as the dish is rich and spicy enough as it is but this is up to you.
    Add the cooked pasta to the meat mixture and combine. Add a little of the pasta water if you feel your mixture is too thick to help thin it out a little.

Serve in heated pasta bowls with rocket, grated Parmesan and cracked black pepper.

Best served with a large glass of red wine. :)

Notes: I use Dunnes spicy sausages but any will do, ensure pork content is high. You can use any type of tinned tomatoes you like. Whole plum tomatoes work well and you can break down with a wooden spoon during the cooking process. I love spice so I tend to add a little more crushed chilli but this is a matter of personal taste. You could substitute the cream with creme fraiche or you don't have to add it at all if you are so inclined. Use whatever pasta you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Or sausage obsessive!

Just as well pretty much everybody dismisses Freud these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Minder wrote: »

That was bloody lovely, all bowls clean here!

I cooked these as a side dish for Christmas dinner two years ago and they were very good. I used a truffle oil to add the truffle flavour as I'd run out of black truffle again! ;)

Boudin Blanc (White Sausage)

From Masterchef Australia - Masterclass recipe by Gary

2 slices white bread, crusts removed, cubed
    3-4 tbs milk
    1 small, chilled skinless chicken breast fillet, trimmed, roughly chopped
    3 egg whites
    250ml thickened cream
    20g black truffle, cleaned, finely chopped
    1/4 cup tbs olive oil

2 red onions, thinly sliced
    50g brown sugar
    100ml balsamic vinegar
    250ml chicken stock

3 x 90 cm sausage skins, soaked in water
    3 sprigs of thyme
    150g unsalted butter
    Micro herbs, to garnish

1. Place bread and milk in a bowl and set aside to soak. Break up the bread with your hands to make a paste. Puree chicken and sea salt in a food processor until smooth. Add the egg whites and process for a couple of minutes until thickened. Squeeze any excess milk from the bread and add to the bowl of the processor. Blend until well combined. With the motor running, gradually add the cream until combined. Transfer mixture to a bowl and stir through truffle.

2. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan over low heat, cook onion for 15-20 minutes or until softened. Add sugar and lightly caramelise. Add vinegar and chicken stock. Cook for a further 20 minutes or until thickened. Set aside.

3. Meanwhile, rinse the sausage skins under cold running water. Transfer mousse into a piping bag, with a straight-edged nozzle 1-2cm wide. Push out any air pockets. Thread sausage skin onto the end of the nozzle. Gently pipe the mixture into the casing by applying even pressure to the piping bag to form an even sausage, approximately 2 1/2 cm wide. Tie a knot at the end of the casing. Tie a not at the other end. Using butchers twine, tie knots every 4cm to create sausages.

4. Place linked sausages into a large-deep frying pan with just enough cold water to cover. Make a cartouche from baking paper and place directly over the top. Cook over low heat, at around 90 degrees C for 6 minutes until firm and cooked through. Turn off the heat and allow the sausages to cool in their poaching liquid.

5. Once cooled, cut through the tied string and carefully peel the sausage skin away leaving the firm filling and discarding the skin.

6. Heat remaining oil in a frying pan over medium heat, cook boudin for 2-3 minutes until lightly golden, then add the butter and thyme sprigs to finish. Season with sea salt.

7. To serve, thread sausages onto small cocktail skewers. Spoon caramelised onion onto small plates and place skewers on top of onions. Top with another spoonful of onion gravy and garnish with micro herbs.

Have to blame my Ma, she used to make her own sausages and puddings when we were growing up, needless to say we had them a lot :D

• Advertisement

Black pudding tower with apple

3 eating apples, peeled corded and sliced
    30g butter
    2 tsp soft brown sugar
    8 large slices of black pudding
    4 smoked streaky rashers, cut in thin strips lenghtways
    100ml cider
    oil for frying
    melt butter in pan add apples and sugar and cook over med heat till soft and slightly caramelized, keep warm. wipe out pan, add a little oil and fry black pudding till slightly crisp, remove and keep warm, add bacon fry till cocked, remove from pan, increase heat and add cider, bring to boil and reduce till nice and syrupy. serve pudding top with layer of apple, repeat and top with bacon, pour over cider juices

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Given the month thats in it....

Sausage Meat Stuffing

500g Sausage Meat
    2 Medium Onions
    10g Sage Leaves
    1 Egg
    40g Breadcrumbs
    40g Pistachio Nuts
    70g Butter
    Parsley - Handful
    Salt & Pepper - to taste

*Pre heat oven to 200c

*Melt the butter in a pan, add the onions & sage and cook until the onions are soft and translucent. Allow to cool.

*In a bowl, combine the onion mix with all the other ingredients. Transfer mixture to a roasting dish. Cover with tin-foil.

*Roast in the oven for 1 hour, with the tin-foil off for the last 20 minutes to get a nice crust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Another Nigel Slater recipe for sausages and onions with Pasta.

175g fresh spicy sausage
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    2 large onions, cut into thin rings
    225g wholewheat pasta
    150ml chicken or vegetable stock
    2 tbsps chopped fresh parsley
    1 tbsp grain mustard
    salt
    freshly ground black pepper

A marvellously robust dish to come home to on a winter's night. Any wholewheat or any other for that matter) pasta is fine, though fettuccine is my favourite. It is very good with a glass of beer.

Slice the sausage into thick rounds. Fry it in the oil for four minutes, then add the onion rings. Continue cooking, covered, until the onions start to soften, adding a drop more oil if necessary. Bring a large pan of water to the boil, add a little salt and throw in the pasta. Cook until it is firm but tender.

After about 15-20 minutes, when the onions are golden and have caramelised and are ever-so-slightly burnt at the edges, add the stock. Bring to the boil, scrape up the good things stuck to the pan with a wooden spatula and stir in the chopped parsley and the grain mustard. Add the cooked, drained pasta and season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Any more white pudding recipe recommendations?

Advertisement