Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite restaurant?

Options
  • 03-12-2012 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

What's your favourite restaurant in or around Galway?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 126 ✭✭Camo22

Pebbles! wrote: »

Supermacs!

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Shane.C

Fat Freddy's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Pebbles!

Camo22 wrote: »

Supermacs!

Well you won't go hungry so! Enough of them around!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Pebbles! wrote: »
    If you are looking for recommendations then just search it above as its been done to death recently numerous times.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Indeed. Title changed from "Best restaurant?" to the OPs question "Your favourite restaurant?" as my favourite restaurant might not be your favourite and "best" refers to personal taste.

My current fav place is the High Café on High Street. It has really nice pizzas and good staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

biko wrote: »
    Indeed. Title changed from "Best restaurant?" to the OPs question "Your favourite restaurant?" as my favourite restaurant might not be your favourite and "best" refers to personal taste.

My current fav place is the High Café on High Street. It has really nice pizzas and good staff.
    High Cafe is great, their tagines are as authentic as ive had outside Morocco.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

My personal favourite at the moment is Kai on Sea Road.
    As people never grow tired to point out: have a look at the menu first, it's not for everybody.
    They do quirky seasonal food with locally sourced ingredients

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

McCambridges for lunch, Kai for evening food and Ard Bia for special occasions. Artisan slipping lately and Kirwans Lane off my list.

'cptr

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Kai, easily my favourite. Anair for special occasions or if I just want something totally different to anywhere else in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Rouge.. MmmmmmmMM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

I had a great meal in Kai last weekend. First time I ate there in the evening, and it was really good.

Rouge is another great spot, and I find Vina Mara is really reliable and good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭jenniferalan

Oscars in Dominic street, it's expensive so only for an occasion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Da Robertas
    Kirwans Lane
    Oscars
    White Gables (Moycullen)

Went to Kai once recently and was very disappointed after all the rave reviews. All 3 dishes (crab, pork, tart) were very average even though others at the table seemed to enjoy theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Cafe Venice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Tamarind :(
    Looking for a new favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

It's always a tie between Cava and Vina Mara for me. Ate in Kai once and was disappointed with it, 5 out of 6 courses we had between us were disappointing.

Ate in Kai once and was disappointed with it, 5 out of 6 courses we had between us were disappointing.

Starting to think Kai is a bit of Emperors New Clothes if you know what I mean. As I stated early, I had a poor meal there very recently - someone else at the table had the same crab starter as me and thought it was nice but I eat a lot of seafood and it was very very average.

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Starting to think Kai is a bit of Emperors New Clothes if you know what I mean. As I stated early, I had a poor meal there very recently - someone else at the table had the same crab starter as me and thought it was nice but I eat a lot of seafood and it was very very average.

Definitely! Exactly how I feel about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I do like Cava but sometimes the service is atrocious which puts me off going back.

Definitely! Exactly how I feel about it.

Well, seeing as they won the food lovers choice award at the Good Food Ireland Awards and have had nothing but positive reviews from every one from the Michelin Guide to Georgia Campbell since they opened and Jess has won Best Chef in Connaught several times in the last few years, I reckon you'd both be in a very tiny minority in your views.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

For fans of Cava it might be worth checking out Lunares in Woodquay.

I won't give my opinion as I am a fan of JP but it would be interesting to see what other people think of the alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Seaneh wrote: »
    But I guess there is no accounting for taste.

That's a bit far! Every single restaurant in the world, even the michelin starred ones, have off nights and bad meals leave the kitchen. What the other posters may have experienced the margin of error in Kai. I have eaten there myself and though I loved my meal, my OH's venison was served rare when requested medium-done. And my "chocolate mousse" was in fact chocolate ganache, and I know my desserts :)

I once ate in a 3 Michelin star restaurant in New York. It was the best meal of my life. Right across from our table there were people complaining about their meal. Happens everywhere regardless of standard.

Back on topic, I love the West restaurant in the Twelve in Barna.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

Cafe Wa - on Dock st. love it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

But I guess there is no accounting for taste.

Meow, this kitty's got claws :P

I won't give my opinion as I am a fan of JP but it would be interesting to see what other people think of the alternative.

Im a big fan of JP and everyong at Eat Galway as well but for me Lunares is the dogs bollocks. Its actual spanish tapas. Cava is just spanish influenced food served tapas style. There are very few things you'd find in a tapas bar in spain on the menu. It (cava) is great food, but its not really authentic. Where as Lunares is IMO.

That said, if I was bringing a ladyfriend out for a meal, and I had to pick between the two, I'd pick Cava, as it's a lot "fancier" of the two. Lunares has a very, very casual atmosphere.

dloob wrote: »
    I do like Cava but sometimes the service is atrocious which puts me off going back.

Yes once we had very poor service, and it was a night we were out for a special occasion so it was very disappointing. But that was probably the only bad thing that I've ever experienced there, the food has always been amazing and usually the service is perfect.

Briefly heard of that place, must give it a go. I'm a big fan of JP too, Eat at Massimo is great too, the burgers are amazing. The biggest criticism I would have of Cava - and it's very minor in the actual grand scheme of being a good restaurant - is they update their facebook page far too often, I'll often have 5-7 posts/pictures/links from them in a 2 hour period, gets annoying, overkill.

And thanks Eviledna for quoting Seaneh so his ninja edit couldn't hide what he said :) People have different opinions, views and tastes, just because they're not the same as yours doesn't mean they're wrong!

Well, seeing as they won the food lovers choice award at the Good Food Ireland Awards and have had nothing but positive reviews from every one from the Michelin Guide to Georgia Campbell since they opened and Jess has won Best Chef in Connaught several times in the last few years, I reckon you'd both be in a very tiny minority in your views.

Maybe so but I am generally a positive person and I was really looking forward to eating in Kai. However my one and only visit was very poor, no question about it, so perhaps they need to work on their consistency or maybe I should just shut up and sing Kai's praises like everyone else?

By the way, a few of my friends (including some vegetarians) have been raving about Bar8 on the docks. Is it that good? The location always strikes me as odd. There is probably a thread on it here if I look.

By the way, a few of my friends (including some vegetarians) have been raving about Bar8 on the docks. Is it that good? The location always strikes me as odd. There is probably a thread on it here if I look.

I ate there once, it was good. The last two times I've tried to go there it was closed, despite it being during the opening hours I found listed (but that varies in different places anyway). I tried calling and sent an email to find out their hours once and for all, no answer on the phone, no reply to the email. So I stopped, if they don't want customers that's grand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cathal01

Bar Eight is amazing, I would gladly eat there every time I am eating out as I have never been disappointed. I've often gone and had three starters instead of a main because I can never choose. Also I think it is very inexpensive considering the quality. Chocolate tasting plate is divine.

We went to go there last Friday and it said outside it was closed due to electrical problems, I had rang beforehand too but no answer. We ended up in the Eastern Tandoori, which to my surprise was possibly the best Indian I've ever had.

Advertisement