Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite restaurant?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

Cathal01 wrote: »
    Bar Eight is amazing, I would gladly eat there every time I am eating out as I have never been disappointed. I've often gone and had three starters instead of a main because I can never choose.

sorry to side track but do people do this often..order a number of starters instead of just 1 main? Myself and OH were out for dinner last weekend with another couple in a certain restaurant and they wanted to order 6 starters between 2 of them to share. they were refused with staff saying it was policy that you order a starter and a main course. I was just going to order a main as I wasnt that hungry for starter and main and with that and them not being allowed to order a number of smaller dishes instead of a main each we left. now they were pretty busy that night and managed to jam us into a small corner where we were sitting on top of one another and we even bit our tongues having to wait 20mins before we could order a drink even but turning down our order was the tipping point!...needless to say we wont be going there again...

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Went to Bar 8 recently and while my meal was ok several people at the table were very disappointed with theirs and the service was pretty awful. Drink orders were got wrong repeatedly for example. I liked that there was a full bar with lots of selection, but still won't be going back any time soon.

Hard to think of a favourite at the moment, was in Vina Mara recently and it was great value but food was just ok.

Eddie Rocket's is consistently good though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭3qsmavrod5twfe

Personally, I like Cava, it gives me the option of having a bit of everything! Given that I always get food envy (i.e you see what's on someone else's plate and say to yourself "Gaaah, I wish I ordered that") it's a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

I have always eaten without disappointment in Bar 8. Their food is great, but the one thing that puts me off is how noisy the place gets due to its bare concrete walls.
    Same comment on the Gourmet Tart Co. in Salthill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

What are Bar 8's opening hours so? Can anyone give me "proper" hours, as I thought they were open Saturdays for brunch/lunch, the sign that was locked inside the door the Saturday lunchtime I went there said the same :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cathal01

As far as I'm aware it's 6pm Tuesday to Saturday, and earlier Sunday for Sunday lunch? Could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cathal01

fifib wrote: »
    sorry to side track but do people do this often..order a number of starters instead of just 1 main? Myself and OH were out for dinner last weekend with another couple in a certain restaurant and they wanted to order 6 starters between 2 of them to share. they were refused with staff saying it was policy that you order a starter and a main course. I was just going to order a main as I wasnt that hungry for starter and main and with that and them not being allowed to order a number of smaller dishes instead of a main each we left. now they were pretty busy that night and managed to jam us into a small corner where we were sitting on top of one another and we even bit our tongues having to wait 20mins before we could order a drink even but turning down our order was the tipping point!...needless to say we wont be going there again...

I'm not sure, it's really the only place I do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Rylan

Can't beat McSwiggans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Love The Huntsman

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Rylan wrote: »
    Can't beat McSwiggans.
    Yes you can. [EMAIL="Eat@Massimo"]Eat@Massimo[/EMAIL] for instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Went to sushi in the sky, was so so good!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Oscars is seriously back on the up lately. Really been impressed the last few times I went.
    Their menus have a good mix between cheaper and more expensive options and the food has really impressed of late. Just checked and it's number 1 on trip advisor!

I was in Aniar after it won the coveted star and it was impressive but too pricey for a regular visit.... Not that it wasn't worth it or that it's not good value for the calibre of meal they serve.

Raw has some really good sushi. It blows wa cafe out of the water for me. Ever since it's opened I haven't gone back to wa and I used to be a regular there.

Rouge has excellent wine and a great atmosphere.... Sometimes the crowds there can make it a bit boisterous... but that's just because of how damn popular it is. It's near impossible to get a reservation at short notice.

I've found artisan has somewhat dipped of late. I would swear by the place in the past but of late I've found it a little bit more hit and miss. I've still had some gorgeous plates of food served there though.

Gourmet tart in salthill always has great specials. One thing I've noticed is that can have problems moving from busy day time cafe hot spot to night time sit down meal and date mode so the later you go in the better the atmosphere tends to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Hadn't been in Ard Bia for a while at night, but was there recently, and have to say I had one of the top 5 meals I have ever had. It's one of my favourite buildings in Galway, so when atmosphere, service and food come together so well, it makes for a special night.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Nail on the head Bollocko. +1

Oscars is miles out in front for fish. Had wolf fish there during the summer, and can easily say it's the best fish I've ever eaten. And I eat a decent amount of fish.

Sushi (and everything) in RAW is excellent and everything is well priced. Will definitely be going back.

In over 4 years I've yet to get a bad meal in McSwiggans, and I've probably tried everything on the menu by now. So that's probably the favorite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

In over 4 years I've yet to get a bad meal in McSwiggans, and I've probably tried everything on the menu by now. So that's probably the favorite.

McSwiggans is a favourite of some family members who have been going there for years. I have had a couple of nice meals in there with them. But I have to say it's like Jekyl and Hyde with the staff.
    I've either had extremely helpful or downright rude and obnoxious, the latter being mostly younger staff. There's apparently a higher likelihood of the latter when the 'menu is being changed over' (according to an older relative, who has complained too as she is a regular). I've witnessed this polar opposite in another cafe too. And yes, I have made it known either financially or with a comment if the service was bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

inisboffin wrote: »
    McSwiggans is a favourite of some family members who have been going there for years. I have had a couple of nice meals in there with them. But I have to say it's like Jekyl and Hyde with the staff.
    I've either had extremely helpful or downright rude and obnoxious, the latter being mostly younger staff. There's apparently a higher likelihood of the latter when the 'menu is being changed over' (according to an older relative, who has complained too as she is a regular). I've witnessed this polar opposite in another cafe too. And yes, I have made it known either financially or with a comment if the service was bad.
    Yep same here on McSwig and know of a group who went last week and all round were very disappointed with the food, not somewhere id ever go again. Rouge is awesome though, great service, super food and the wine aint half bad either.

Advertisement