Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving kitten, at home or cattery?

• 03-12-2012 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭

Hi all, we are heading away next weekend for 8 days and Im trying to decide which is best for kitty ( should really stop calling her kitten shes 8 months now!) There is a cattery close by which we're gonna checkout today, we've never left her for more than a day so I dont know what to do! My sister said she would come over everyday to her and feed her but Im not sure that will enough interaction, shes very playful. Do catteries usually interact and play with pets? have you any experience, was your cat happy being away from home? Many thanks all....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

My brother comes to our house to feed and play with our cats whenever we're away. To be honest I wouldn't trust a stranger with them. I know others will disagree and be pro catteries but I think cats are generally happier with familliar places and faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭snowgal

thanks, would you be gone up to 8 days? Im just worried she wont get enough play! but Im wary of the stranger thing as well, she likes her home comforts.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Yeah usually about a week. They love my brother and it makes me feel more secure about the property with somebody coming and going at different times. My cats hate change, they don't even like it when my husband's shift cycle changes. The first time we went away they were a bit off with us for a few days when we got back. Giving it the whole 'how could you leave us?' bit. Cats are very territorial and I know mine would hate being among strange cats in a strange place. If they're being cared for at home they have their safe places and familliar routine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Always left our cats at home for all vacations; they don't come out for the feeder if they don't know the person but I'd rather have them be scared for 30 min a day in an environment the know than being scared 24/7 in a new environment.

Flip side is I know someone who always leave their cat at a cat hotel and he's been fine from it but as our cats are shy with strangers that's not a route I'd like to go down (and this way we know they are safe in an environment they know).

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Haha my cat is 8 months too but I still call him a kitten :D

Last time I went away for 3 nights I got my cousin to stay in my house for me. It meant my little bear was fed regularly and had someone to snuggle up with at night time. I must look into local catteries in case my cousin is not available the next time I go away but I have the same concerns that you do and wonder just how much attention he'll get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Isolt wrote: »
    Haha my cat is 8 months too but I still call him a kitten :D

Last time I went away for 3 nights I got my cousin to stay in my house for me. It meant my little bear was fed regularly and had someone to snuggle up with at night time. I must look into local catteries in case my cousin is not available the next time I go away but I have the same concerns that you do and wonder just how much attention he'll get there.

It does depend on the place as to how much attention they get. I leave my dogs into kennels near me when I'm away and the kennels is also a cattery and I know the animals get great care and attention while I'm away. The owners are able to tell me which dogs my dogs made friends with and which dogs they like to hang out with and which they didn't like when I get back. My dogs are always in great form when I go to collect them so I know they are happy there. I didn't have the same experience in another local kennels where my dogs came out dirty, miserable and stressed.

Really what you need to do is check out a couple of local catteries and see if you know anyone who has left their pets there. Word of mouth is probably the best way of finding out what they are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭ameee

I leave my cat at home when we go away and my sister comes up and feeds him. I really think he would hate being in a strange place with strange cats. That being said the one time my dad couldn't take our dog we put him in kennels and he came home grand but the dogs needs are different then the cat he would go mental without company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭ladyjuicy08

I get my sister to feed play twice a day when I go away even when they were kittens not a bother when I come back 1 delighted to see me the other little sulk for couple of hours then all is forgotten

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

Cats are very territorial and like being left in their own home. I have never moved my cat, I know it would be traumatic for her, so if I'm away I get a family member to come and spend time with her. There is no place like home for a cat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

My cat would go stir crazy if he was inside for that long. I went away for a long weekend a few years ago and got friends to come over and feed him - he disappeared out the door and didn't come back, even though they came over every night to feed him - I had to go looking for him when I got back and found him a few streets away, rather stressed out. Since then I have taken him to a cattery. The lady is lovely and saves him a 'window seat' as she calls it - one of the stalls with a window :) He likes to sit up by the window, dreaming i'm sure of being out there. However he also makes friends with the cats on either side of him and the lady lets them out one at the time for a run in the secure shed - she said he goes to each cage and checks out each cat, like he's saying 'oh you're still here as well' He's always a bit put out the first day he comes home, meowing more and carrying on, but that settles down. So for me and Puss, it's the cattery all the way. If I had a house with a cat flap where he could get in and out on his own, then i would consider leaving him at home and getting someone to come over and feed him, but if he can't get in the house then I'd rather know he was safe at the cattery.

However I had a cat at home in Australia who had to stay at a cattery once (for two weeks) and she never came out from under a hidey hole the entire time she was there. It was too much stress for her being around the other cats and in a strange environment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

I would never leave my cat with a family member for more than a day. I would hate it if my cat went outside and never came home, or got knocked down or something. At least if he is in the cattery, I know exactly where he is all the time and he is safe. I know he doesn't like it but unfortunately for my peace of mind I want him to go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Oh, one thing I forgot to say is that my cat always come back fat from the cattery! He's neutered and obviously isn't getting the same exercise he does when he's home. I always tell them how much to feed him, but he loves his food and always looks for more, so I wouldn't be surprised if they take pity on him and give him that bit extra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

My cat is nearly 9 now. Like all others I'm sure, he's a creature of habit, indoor/outdoor, but spoiled rotten, with attention and creature comforts.

So a few years ago when we decided to leave for 2 and a half weeks, I was worrying and worrying, like you.
    I knew that if I left him at home, he would be in his own environment, but that he would also pine, tbh, since my potential care takers wouldn't have been real cat lovers.

So I researched well, and picked a cattery, that's cattery only, not kennel, since at the time I knew he would be stressed hearing dogs barking all the time.
    When I went to pick him up, he didn't look stressed out at all, he had adapted really well. We don't give them half the credit they deserve, they're well able to adapt. :) He did "cry" a lot in the car on the way back, and then he was very clingy for 3/4 days, but that was it, he just went back to his home habits.

Now he goes to the same cattery every year, for 3 weeks, sometimes a bit more. The lady there is great, she plays with them and seems to spend a lot of time with them daily. They have a little heated indoor area with a window to look out, their food, their toilet, and a bed and something from home (a tee-shirt, blanket...). There is a catflap that leads onto a little outdoor space, with a tree trunk, a stone or two, some toys (you can bring your own), and some little shelves they can hop onto to look out onto the lady's beautiful garden, with birdies and plenty of life to look at, plus there's the spying on his feline neighbours.
    My Popey remembers the place now everytime, and although he only goes once a year, doesn't seem to mind at all. Now when we go, he's straight in the cat flap to check out his digs :D (and maybe look for food !). Oh yeah, and she asks you what food he's on, so there's no change in that regard, he gets what he gets at home.

I like the cattery option, I used it for just 4/5 days once last year, on top of the summer hol, and it's great to know he's completely safe, fed regularly, and not lonely. And it's great to know too, that he's used to it, in case there was some emergency like a hospital stay or something, it wouldn't be a trauma for him to go there for a bit.

edit : if you are going to use a cattery, feel free to ring them, call and look around before you book anything. They should have no problem with that. Oh, and I forgot, my cattery lady gives me regular updates by texts, and I can text her whenever I feel to make sure he's ok.
    Sorry this is so long, I just figure I would have like a comprehensive answer myself when I was worried. If you have good caretakers though, eight days is not too bad to leave them at home, it would sort of be my cut off point though, personnally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭snowgal

thanks everyone, great advice, just still confused now, ha! My sister loves cats like me so she wont mind at all coming and playing with her though I dont know how she'll handle the litter tray! Cat goes outside all the time now, dont know when she used the litter tray last, but Im sure she might if shes in more than usual for the week. After a few stories here Im abit worried she might run away though shes such a friendly cat I doubt it. My sister would freak! I alsoi have another friend who loves cats and would also come around. so maybe if I had sister coming early in the day and my friend coming in the eve it wouldnt be too bad....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Yeh if you could get your sis to come in the morning and then someone else in the evening to clean the litter tray that'd work well, if you find they are both realiable. If you have a spare litter tray they can just empty the full one out, hose it down outside or in the shower/bath and leave it tilted to dry and have the other tray ready to be filled I always found that easier, saves waiting for the tray to dry.

Catteries all depends who is running them some are better than others cats in general are more comfortable staying at home. Some cats take a few days to settle in somewhere new sometimes the cattery owner is better off ignoring a stress cat and waiting for the cat to come to them and with other cats they want a cuddle straight away and some cats don't care at all as long as their warm and fed and can lounge around. Your at is still young so new experiences might not do any harm, if the cat gets used to going to a cattery now and then it'll make it easier for you to go away on hols etc. later on.

You know your cat best so you know what your kitty needs best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,526 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The in-laws always look after ours. We went away for 3 weeks once and I'd swear the kitties were spoilt rotten when the in-laws came over every day to feed and water them.
    Once we brought the three cats over to my mum to look after them for two days. I'm not sure who was more traumatised - the cats or my mum.
    Needless to say, it didn't go well and we've never done it since! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

If your cat is going outdoors you'll get more peace of mind using a cattery. More than once I've come home to find that a cat has gone walkabout (he always came home after we did). If you find a good cattery they'll get attention, make sure they allow you to visit first and check out the accomodation. Usually each run will have a radiator, and your cat will just snooze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

At that age I would totally recommend a cattery, still young enough that she is not set in her ways so it would be good to get her used to it so life will be easier when she is older if you ever have to go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

The Cattery has always been the best option for our 'kitten'(he's nearly 17 but he'll always be out kitten cat:)), really just for peace of mind, we know he'll be safe and he's used to the place and the people are good and really know cats. He gets his titbits(chicken pieces and strong cheese), his own heated bed and if the weather's good an outside run.

Advertisement