Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mourinho to quit in the summer?

• 03-12-2012 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

g0312.013577980b6d526e452bad5d4319f08e.jpg

Marca is the Real mouthpiece so one imagines they have some idea of what's going on. Jose for one reason or another has never stuck around any club too long and some might say he simply gets the best out of squad/budget and then looks for his next prey (but that might be harsh!). If he is leaving it would seem pretty clear where he goes next - England again.

He's made no secret that he'd like to manage another PL club and there are possibly 4 that might be interested in order of likeliness

Manchester Utd
    Manchester City
    Chelsea (if Roman is desperate and more humble than Jose)
    Arsenal

Impossible to see anyone else catching his eye at the moment or for a long time unless he fancies a very different sort of challenge.

Comments

He'll be Utd manager in August.

You heard it here first!

I wonder what the odds are on that as a matter of interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Documentary on Mourinho tonight. ITV4 from 10pm (for an hour).

Worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Pep and Jose will both be in Manchester next season maybe with Avram back at the bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

rarnes1 wrote: »
    He'll be Utd manager in August.

You heard it here first!

I wonder what the odds are on that as a matter of interest.

5/1 to be next manager with PP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

I reckon he'll end up at City.

• Advertisement

Fergie was giving him praise this weekend and Mourinho has spoken before how'd like to manage Utd at some stage afaik. Plus he'll probably get the bullet from Madrid so he'll be a free agent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

You know it's Marca when the sex ad in the corner is bigger than Messi....pun intended :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Sex video advertisement on the front page, you wouldn't get that in the Irish Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

So, what you are asking is - Are Jose And Real Madrid done?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nope as there is no apparent question about this. I see Pellegrini is on the market as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Many Barcelona fans would hate to see Mourinho go....

I can't wait for him to leave... but unfortunately, this is coming from a newspaper such as Hello... sorry Marca so I wouldnt trust them as far as I could throw them.

Said this I have the feeling he will be leaving soon, his attitude lately has been a bit off even for him. It given everyone the feeling that he just wants out but who knows...

He is tired of all the pressure and drama going around him, and he probably has other challenges in his mind... we will find out in july I suppose

Generally Marca is spot on with the inner workings at Real. Perez is geneally reffered to as the Editor In Cheif afterall.
    mike65 wrote: »
    Nope as there is no apparent question about this. I see Pellegrini is on the market as well.

Pellegrino I think you are talking about. He was sacked by Valencia the other day. Pellegrini is doing great with Malaga.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Arsenal should swap managers with real at the end of the season!yes please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Judging by Ferguson's comments he is either already in for the United job and likely to get it this summer or Ferguson has a feeling that he could be heading for Man City and is trying to disrupt Mourinho by throwing these few lines out there in order to stop him taking that job.

Either way, many a top team will be lining up for his signature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Pep and Jose will both be in Manchester next season.

May happen, depends if Fergie and Utd win another league.

maybe with Avram back at the bridge.

Wont happen IMO. He inherited Jose's team and lost 2 finals but the guy was never good enough.

I'd be disappointed if he came back now, even if it's only as an adviser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

He'll probably take over from Mancini at the end of this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Benitez keeping Jose's seat warm hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

Caveman1 wrote: »
    Benitez keeping Jose's seat warm hopefully.

I wonder what the odds are for Benitez to take over at Madrid. That's the job he really wants and the only reason he took the job at the Bridge to show the powers to be at Madrid he can still do the big job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

I wonder what the odds are for Benitez to take over at Madrid. That's the job he really wants and the only reason he took the job at the Bridge to show the powers to be at Madrid he can still do the big job.

Well we'll let Madrid have him in a straight swap deal for Jose & Ronaldo :pac:

• Advertisement

Caveman1 wrote: »
    Well we'll let Madrid have him in a straight swap deal for Jose & Ronaldo :pac:

If Ronaldo came back to play in England and it wasnt for Man Utd I think the Internet would explode it would even worse if he ended up with us.

One of the worlds most disliked players playing at one of the worlds most disliked clubs, very interesting. :p

Wont happen though, ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

If I was Mourinho I'd be dying to get out of Madrid. Beating Barca to the title last season was a phenomenal achievement, yet still only two months into the season and sections of the crowd were booing him.

Before the derby he had said he would appear on the pitch, alone, at 21.20 (40 mins before kick-off) and the crowd could let him know how they actually felt.

As promised he came out and stood on the pitch for a couple of minutes. He got a generally positive reception, but there were very few people inside the stadium. There isn't the same warmth for Mourinho that he received elsewhere and I think this probably bothers him more than people let on.

He has criticised the terrible atmosphere in the stadium a number of times and has also praised other teams supporters (like Betis last week) in what is a thinly veiled attack on the Bernabeu.

Now people will say that the relationship with supporters is only one factor and not a decisive one, but Real Madrid are a fan-owned club. Their stadium-going support have a reputation for being notoriously fickle and impossible to please, generally due to them being largely drawn from Madrid's very stuck up upper middle-class. They know nothing about football and have no passion for the game, but rather treat it as you might treat the opera or the theatre. It is an event that you dress up for and go to be seen and mingle, with a side dish of football thrown in.

This is obviously quite the generalisation, but it is most certainly not without some basis, and becomes all the more true when we look at the socios (members) involved in running the club. They are embarrassed by Mourinho's antics in the press and by his style of football.

The siege mentality he uses to be successful goes against their ethos of being the 'gentleman's club,' and many Madridistas have spent the last couple of years agonising over which is more important, beating those Catalan upstarts or maintaining their self-perceived global image of respect and decency (I wish I was lying here, but a lot of Real Madrid fans have this idea of being globally loved and respected, at least before Mourinho took over).

Real Madrid are in many ways the antithesis of Mourinho, a man who is all about passion and winning at all costs. It's never been a cosy relationship and I don't think this news comes as any surprise. If they had lost on Saturday night, I expect he would already be out of a job.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Why is there an assumption he'll go back to England?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

His ties with English football I assume.

Where do you think he'll end up if he quits Madrid in the summer?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

GavRedKing wrote: »

I've no idea where he'll go, just wondering why evryone assumes he'd go to England. Perhaps he'd like to take on a German team and add a Bundesliga title to his trophies from the other 3 major leagues.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

PSG maybe? They have the money he likes to spend.

Maybe Germany if he wins the league there then he can lay calm to be the best manager of all time winning the title in every major league in the world.

Take over from Heynckes maybe?

its hard to know what he'll do next, sets up for an interesting summer, Pep could be back in the fold to so any teams looking for a new coach could potentialy have the 2 best in the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,393 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

hasn't he said several times he wants to go back to England?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

He's also said that he still love Italy, and in particular Inter and the San Siro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

I think that the source of his frustration is coming from both himself and his players not meeting his expectations from the start of the season.

I can only assume that a man with his self confidence would have thought that with Reals performance last year, signing Luca Modric and the departure of Pep retaining La Liga would have been a whole lot easier than winning it last season. As that clearly wont happen its natural that frustration sets in.

If it does all come crumbling down I really hope that he leaves on his own terms and that if he does go back to england its only for United. In the next 10 or so years he will be repeatedly compared to Sir Alex (with regards amount of trophies won) but to me I think that the comparison will only have proper grounds if theyve managed a similar squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,393 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Take over from Heynckes maybe?

its hard to know what he'll do next, sets up for an interesting summer, Pep could be back in the fold to so any teams looking for a new coach could potentialy have the 2 best in the business.

I wonder if that could be the reason Fergie takes to step aside - the process of succession is under way at United, with Fergie saying he is putting together a generally young squad so that the team is in good shape for the next manager. There has been talk that Fergie wants the right man to take over from him, and is keep to ensure that happens (SGE looking to be the man United were turning is, apparently, one of the reasons he postponed his retirement) - with Guardiola and Mouninho the two top men he wants. If both are available this summer, I do wonder if Fergie steps aside to ensure we get one of them. Though talk is the Qatar owners of PSG have opened talks with Guardiola - so that may change things a bit, with a possibly belief that if he goes to PSG, United could still go for him in 3 or 3 years time.

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    He's also said that he still love Italy, and in particular Inter and the San Siro.

Jose's the ultimate show man, I bet you if a Portguese media source approached him he'd say he loves Porto and wants to go back and he may do one day but the way he plays the media is out of this world.

He keeps them all feeding out of his hand at times, I've no doubt he has connections with all the clubs hes managed as he comes across as a guy whos very passionate and it gets involved in every little way possible and the media eat it up.

Truth be told he'd have his pick of jobs in the summer, its up to him where he wants go although at Real he has a very good team with real UCL winning potential so may stick around until he's shoved or wins it again.

I wonder if that could be the reason Fergie takes to step aside - the process of succession is under way at United, with Fergie saying he is putting together a generally young squad so that the team is in good shape for the next manager. There has been talk that Fergie wants the right man to take over from him, and is keep to ensure that happens (SGE looking to be the man United were turning is, apparently, one of the reasons he postponed his retirement) - with Guardiola and Mouninho the two top men he wants. If both are available this summer, I do wonder if Fergie steps aside to ensure we get one of them. Though talk is the Qatar owners of PSG have opened talks with Guardiola - so that may change things a bit, with a possibly belief that if he goes to PSG, United could still go for him in 3 or 3 years time.

Good read, if PSG do sack Ancellotti thats another fine coach on the market that any team would be lucky to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Surprised to read that he's leaving Madrid in the summer. Didn't think he'd leave them until he secured a Champions League for the club. Thought he'd win one for Madrid, leave them on a high and then return to England and aim for a Champions League with either Chelsea or Man Utd.

Davaeo09 wrote: »

He loved Inter and had a great relationship with their supporters, but he made no secret of his disdain for the Italian press and federation. I don't think he'd go back to Inter as he would never be able to match what he did there and he wouldn't go anywhere else in Italy.
    Pighead wrote: »
    Surprised to read that he's leaving Madrid in the summer. Didn't think he'd leave them until he secured a Champions League for the club. Thought he'd win one for Madrid, leave them on a high and then return to England and aim for a Champions League with either Chelsea or Man Utd.

There's still every chance that he'll win the Champions League this year. By the business end of the Champions League there is every chance that La Liga will be decided already, giving Barca and Madrid a big advantage over their rivals. Madrid have arguably just shaded the last few Clasicos, and if Mourinho already knew he was leaving, I think it might give him a sense of freedom to do exactly what he wants in order to win, without having to give any consideration to reaction from the board, the press or the fans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Do you seriously think Real Madrid would consider Benitez? Even when he was winning his teams played putrid football. And he isn't winning anymore....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Pighead wrote: »

Who is to say he wont do that this season ?

Werent the papers reporting he was leaving last summer too ,his agent started putting out similar stories around this time last year too.

Its all mind games ,Mourinho is trying to motivate the players like he always does.
    Saying that though the league is as good as over ,Real are too far behind and if he had lost to Athletico on Saturday the white hankies would have been out in force.

Its the Champions league or bust for Mourinho ,if he doesnt win it this year then Perez will sack him so Mourinho may be prempting that response by announcing to walk away in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Wont happen IMO. He inherited Jose's team and lost 2 finals but the guy was never good enough.

I'd be disappointed if he came back now, even if it's only as an adviser.

Here is how I think its going to work out at chelsea. Avram will be back in the coming week or so as a special adviser. Rafa will have mixed results and finally be put out of his misery in March when Avram will step in as the interim interim manager until the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

carlop wrote: »
    There's still every chance that he'll win the Champions League this year. By the business end of the Champions League there is every chance that La Liga will be decided already, giving Barca and Madrid a big advantage over their rivals. Madrid have arguably just shaded the last few Clasicos, and if Mourinho already knew he was leaving, I think it might give him a sense of freedom to do exactly what he wants in order to win, without having to give any consideration to reaction from the board, the press or the fans.
    Yeah, they do have a good chance of winning it this year but it seems strange to me that he's put all his eggs in one basket and is going for a **** or bust strategy. If they are beaten in this years champions league he'll be leaving the club with a sense of unfinished business I'd imagine.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Here is how I think its going to work out at chelsea. Avram will be back in the coming week or so as a special adviser. Rafa will have mixed results and finally be put out of his misery in March when Avram will step in as the interim interim manager until the end of the season.

Thats already been rubbished, which is weird as Chelsea normally remain very tight lipped about internal policies, nonetheless, thank f**k Avram isnt coming back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Thats already been rubbished, which is weird as Chelsea normally remain very tight lipped about internal policies, nonetheless, thank f**k Avram isnt coming back.

I saw Grant is only 57 ,he looks about 70.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

He has in the past hinted that the United job is the one he ultimately wants. Attempting to fill Fergie's boots (a manager he hugely admires) would be just the kind of challenge he would relish and would nicely pander to his enormous ego. Jose, the new King of Old Trafford.

Though whether Sir Alex is ready to step aside is another matter. He looks as hungry as ever and at 71 (in a few weeks) and in apparently good health there's no reason why he couldn't keep going for another couple of seasons.

I saw Grant is only 57 ,he looks about 70.

Looks a lot older than 57 alright.

carlop wrote: »

Before the derby he had said he would appear on the pitch, alone, at 21.20 (40 mins before kick-off) and the crowd could let him know how they actually felt.

Thats pretty pathetic and attention seeking of him tbh.

As a Barca fan I will be glad to see him leave. He has been the best Real manager since Del Bosque. Probably a better manager in truth. But Real Madrid do not do long term. Its immeidate success or nothing. It is a poison chalice, and I would imagine Jose would prefer walk than be shoved.

He will end of at Man City, Man U or Bayern. Bayern would be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Man City
    Liverpool
    Milan AC

In that order. There is no chance he'll replace Ferguson directly IMO, and he has no history of returning to old grounds. Really put the cat among the pigeons if Liverpool had the balls to sign him, and would present him with an honourable challenge too.

gimmick wrote: »
    Thats pretty pathetic and attention seeking of him tbh.

True, but also vintage Mourinho at the same time, and I don't mean that negatively!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

mitosis wrote: »
    Man City
    Liverpool
    Milan AC

In that order. There is no chance he'll replace Ferguson directly IMO, and he has no history of returning to old grounds. Really put the cat among the pigeons if Liverpool had the balls to sign him, and would present him with an honourable challenge too.

City is the only one of those that's slightly realistic imo. Mourinho to Liverpool? Yeah right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

mitosis wrote: »
    Man City
    Liverpool
    Milan AC

Liverpool, wtf?

He'd want to join a club that matches his ambitions and have the cash to back him.

I said he'd join United after winning the Spanish league/CL a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Liverpool??

No chance!!

The only way I could see him go to Liverpool is his ego. If he could be the man who brought Liverpool back to the top again his ego would be justified :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement