Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mourinho to quit in the summer?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

gimmick wrote: »
    The only way I could see him go to Liverpool is his ego. If he could be the man who brought Liverpool back to the top again his ego would be justified :)

But in order to do that he would need 150/200 million which he is not going to get.

To me his next club will be United and if that requires taking a year out to wait for Fergie I think hed do it. If not there then perhaps back to chelsea when they finally cop on that guardiola isnt the man for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

The only way I could see him go to Liverpool is his ego. If he could be the man who brought Liverpool back to the top again his ego would be justified :)

What's left to motivate him, but ego? Unless a national side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Yes, but him failing to win the Champions League at the self declared "Best club in the World" is bound to be a big stain on his ego. Also the fact that during his time there everybody will remember the Barcelona team of that period not anything Mourinho done. None of that is his fault but I imagine it will damage his ego somewhat.

Liverpool would be a massive step backwards. Why not take on AC Milan or win something in Germany or try his hand at International management? He's a good manager but he's not a magician. Everybody below Chelsea are so far off from opposing a title threat it's depressing to think how poor the league is.

The likes of Spurs, Arsenal and even Liverpool now won't be within an asses roar of a chance of winning the title domestically for years and if City can stay strong it will be a very long time before any of those teams can even start considering mounting a serious title challenge.

I can understand Mourinho taking on Man City and the prospect of dominating Europe. I can understand him being willing to walk in straight after Ferguson as smug as ever. I can understand him walking back into the Chelsea job just to prove that Roman was wrong and take on a side with an exciting attacking trio but Liverpool? Pipe dream tbh.

MrKingsley wrote: »
    But in order to do that he would need 150/200 million which he is not going to get.

To me his next club will be United and if that requires taking a year out to wait for Fergie I think hed do it. If not there then perhaps back to chelsea when they finally cop on that guardiola isnt the man for them

Can't see it happeneing, he'd be hatching Ferguson's eggs. Never get any credit for his achievements. As it stands, any club he'd move to is going to be a step down, so maybe a project or national side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

mitosis wrote: »
    Can't see it happeneing, he'd be hatching Ferguson's eggs. Never get any credit for his achievements. As it stands, any club he'd move to is going to be a step down, so maybe a project or national side.

You suggested Liverpool and AC Milan who are both currently, IMO huge steps down from Madrid, even Man City are a step down from Madrid but as large a gap as with the other 2 teams.

Utd after Fergie will be a huge project for anyone willing to take it on, trying to replicate Fergies levels of success and teambuilding is possibily the biggest challenge for the next manager no matter who it is but I can see Jose taking it if he was offered the opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Yes, but him failing to win the Champions League at the self declared "Best club in the World" is bound to be a big stain on his ego. Also the fact that during his time there everybody will remember the Barcelona team of that period not anything Mourinho done. None of that is his fault but I imagine it will damage his ego somewhat.

He hasn't not won the CL in his stint yet! I would imagine that is their soul focus this season now that Barca are 11 clear of them. That is a huge mountain to climb. They have nobody at all to fear in the CL. Them probably finishing 2nd in their group will upset a lot of group winners.

Plus, Jose will be remembered as the guy who finally beat Guardiola and the new Dream Team to the league title last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

I don't see him returning to England in any job apart from the Utd one. I can see Pep possibly taking the City job and if Mour leaves/gets pushed out of Madrid, he will either take a year off or go to Germany.

I definitely believe that he won't be remembered for anything of note if he leaves Madrid this year unless he wins the UCL. Therefore, i think he will stick it out, he needs another league or UCL to prove he was stopped Barca's domination.

I can see it leading nicely to him taking over from Fergie, either after Madrid or a spell in Germany.

People thinking that Liverpool or Chelsea are in with a shout are way off the mark imo. Chelsea is just too unstable for any manager and no way would someone like him risk getting burned again.The City or Liverpool job would rule him out of the Utd job and whether people like it or not, that will be the most prestigious job in world football when it becomes available for a multitude of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

I would see it as the complete opposite. How big a challenge would it be to succeed maybe the best manager ever? Im not sure how he wouldnt get credit for his achievements. Everyone in football would respect the talent of someone if they were able to succeed Sir Alex successfully. Everyone can see what big shoes they are to fill.

Strikes me as exactly the challenge required for a personality the size of mourinhos.

Marca are regarded as scurilous liars in this board, until today. Be careful what you wish for - I'd hate to have him at my club - he'll stay two years and destroy any good reputation you might have, leaving the squad burnt out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Marca are regarded as scurilous liars in this board, until today. Be careful what you wish for - I'd hate to have him at my club - he'll stay two years and destroy any good reputation you might have, leaving the squad burnt out.

Do you want good repuation or trophies?

Football is a business and in the football business winning is everything and Mourinho is the kind of guy you hire if you want to win things, winning and trophies beat good repuation any day of the week now a days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

If pep and jose both end up in the manchester clubs it will just turn into a wetter and colder spanish league, a 2 horse race that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Man City
    Liverpool
    Milan AC

In that order. There is no chance he'll replace Ferguson directly IMO, and he has no history of returning to old grounds. Really put the cat among the pigeons if Liverpool had the balls to sign him, and would present him with an honourable challenge too.

Well I LOLed at that, cheers mitosis.

The Sun and the Daily Mail are saying that all is not well at Madrid and Ronaldo will leave after this season also, it could be interesting with both him and Mourinho on the market. I'd obviously love to see them both at United, but realistically they'll probably end up at PSG or one of the other nouveau riche clubs.

Mourinhio doesn't stay in jobs long and probably would be there a few years max and then head off for the next project. Just the way he rolls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

What about the Portuguese National Team?

It will be a shame though as Portugal are good to watch and they are playing nice football, at least during the Eurocup

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Mourinhio doesn't stay in jobs long and probably would be there a few years max and then head off for the next project. Just the way he rolls.

With regards this ideology, which I see a lot...is it really true?

I don't really know much about his time at clubs before Chelsea, but it strikes me he was an ambitious manager who wanted to move up through the ranks of football. At Chelsea, it strikes me he was moved on by Roman but with the other clubs, was it really this case of "#YOLO, I'm out, cya!" that some people talk about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Can't see anything past Mourinho to United.

And it is for a beautiful reason aswell imo.

Mourinho is already rich, he thrives on success, on challenges, on proving to the world he is the best. He could have stayed at Chelsea and earned millions. Then after his success with Inter he could have done the same, now with Madrid, when he wins the CL with them, and he will win it with Madrid, he could stay and earn more millions.

He just loves a challenge, he wants to prove he is the best.

So what better way to prove you are the best, by taking the reigns from the most successful manager of the last 20 years, at one of the worlds biggest clubs, at a time when there is massive challenges for the league title.

Mourinho surely sees this as the last test, to win titles with United, to win the champions league. As he says himself, SAF is the man he calls boss.

My only reservation is that at Chelsea, MIlan and Madrid he has simply being handed a blank chequebook to get the players in he needs to win. At United I think the club will want someone more longterm, to continue the work with the youth teams, integrating into the first squad etc.

For all the talk of Chelsea and Man City trying to get Mourinho and Pep, everybody forgets these men are already successful managers. They have already achieved what most clubs will not in ten years, nevermind a manager.

The prestige and challenge of taking over Manchester United, after the department of Sir Alex, will probably weigh more with these two then all the money in the world at Chelsea or Man City.

With regards this ideology, which I see a lot...is it really true?

I don't really know much about his time at clubs before Chelsea, but it strikes me he was an ambitious manager who wanted to move up through the ranks of football. At Chelsea, it strikes me he was moved on by Roman but with the other clubs, was it really this case of "#YOLO, I'm out, cya!" that some people talk about?

Benfica - 3 months
    União de Leiria - 1 year
    Porto - 2 years
    Chelsea - 3 years
    Inter - 2 years
    Real - 2010 - ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

TheDoc wrote: »
    Can't see anything past Mourinho to United.

And it is for a beautiful reason aswell imo.

Mourinho is already rich, he thrives on success, on challenges, on proving to the world he is the best. He could have stayed at Chelsea and earned millions. Then after his success with Inter he could have done the same, now with Madrid, when he wins the CL with them, and he will win it with Madrid, he could stay and earn more millions.

He just loves a challenge, he wants to prove he is the best.

So what better way to prove you are the best, by taking the reigns from the most successful manager of the last 20 years, at one of the worlds biggest clubs, at a time when there is massive challenges for the league title.

Mourinho surely sees this as the last test, to win titles with United, to win the champions league. As he says himself, SAF is the man he calls boss.

My only reservation is that at Chelsea, MIlan and Madrid he has simply being handed a blank chequebook to get the players in he needs to win. At United I think the club will want someone more longterm, to continue the work with the youth teams, integrating into the first squad etc.

For all the talk of Chelsea and Man City trying to get Mourinho and Pep, everybody forgets these men are already successful managers. They have already achieved what most clubs will not in ten years, nevermind a manager.

The prestige and challenge of taking over Manchester United, after the department of Sir Alex, will probably weigh more with these two then all the money in the world at Chelsea or Man City.

Wouldnt call taking over united a challenge really. For the time being, unless roman sorts his **** out at at chelsea theres only 2 teams going for the title wouldnt call that a challenge.

A real challenge for example would be taking over at arsenal and try to bring them back to their former glory, not taking over a brilliant team from the greatest manager in the game to date. Fergie would essentially be handing over the reigns and say here you go, carry on.

I believe hell be fergies successor that being said..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Taking over Liverpool, Arsenal and trying to win the league is FMesque challenge, not real life challenge. Why will Jose want to take team struggling to finish in top 4 when he can get much better teams?

Like I said, avoiding relegation with Chester city when they were on -25, winning league with Liverpool, Arsenal, making AC Milan as European giants again are the best challenges when tried on FM, why will world class manager risk his reputation taking over the club which is at least level or 2 below other teams.

Jose like challenges but not taking over average teams with no big budget and turn them in to world beaters, he loves winning trophies and his next destination will be the club that will challenge for top honors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Wouldnt call taking over united a challenge really. For the time being, unless roman sorts his **** out at at chelsea theres only 2 teams going for the title wouldnt call that a challenge.

A real challenge for example would be taking over at arsenal and try to bring them back to their former glory, not taking over a brilliant team from the greatest manager in the game to date. Fergie would essentially be handing over the reigns and say here you go, carry on.

I believe hell be fergies successor that being said..

ah here..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Man United could miss a couple of great opportunities if Ferguson doesn't step down next summer. It sounds odd but when you look at the calibre of the managers who'll be free agents and the other clubs who'll be looking for managers - Chelsea, Real, maybe Arsenal and Man City - the club might be better off long-term if he retires.

What do United fans think? Would you prefer Ferguson step down sooner so as to get Mourinho or Guardiola, or have him stay in the job for an extra few years and have to get someone else down the line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,981 ✭✭✭billyhead

As a Man Utd supporter As long as Fergie still has the passion for managing Manchester United, I don't see any reason as to why he should retire anytime soon. I have never liked Mourinho and he would be the last person I would have if I had the choice. We have a great reputation around the world and the last thing we want is for Mourinho to bring down that reputation that Sir Matt and Sir Alex have built up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Obviously going to Sunderland. Says it's always been his ambition to manage a Championship team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Do you want good repuation or trophies?
    The real elite expect both. For a club of Madrid's stature - and they are the aristocrats of European football - winning trophies is the minimum expectation. Winning alone is not enough at Madrid, you have to win with a swagger, with a certain class. And class is something that not even his staunchest fans would suggest that Mourinho has in abundance

So far the sheer desperation to beat Barcelona has kept this in check, with Madrid bending over backwards to accommodate Mourinho, but that in itself has generated tensions. In Madrid the club and its ideals are always bigger than the coach (ironically similar to Barca in a perverse way) and unreservedly supporting a coach who didn't kowtow to the club's establishment and principles was never going to sit well

And let's not pretend that even in terms of winning trophies Mourinho has sparkled. He came in with one overriding mission: to beat Barca and reassert Madrid's place at the top of Spanish/European football. He's not made a huge amount of progress in breaking this Catalan hegemony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

Man City
    Liverpool
    Milan AC

In that order. There is no chance he'll replace Ferguson directly IMO, and he has no history of returning to old grounds. Really put the cat among the pigeons if Liverpool had the balls to sign him, and would present him with an honourable challenge too.

As much as I admire Mourinho, and as much as I love AC, he will not be going there anytime soon. AC are now turning into a long term project which is unlikely to bring any trophies in the near future. Why in the name of god would you suggest AC of all teams? They have to sell more players in January and the teams Mourinho has gone to weren't exactly on tight budgets (Chelsea, Inter, Real...)

Anywho, I'd love to see him at United. Taking over from Fergie would suit him down to the ground.
    I watched that documentary on ITV4 on him there now, it's amazing to see how much he has won in a decade. And he even said he wants to win the Champions League with an english team. To hear him say it, I got the feeling that it was just inevitable.

He's an outstanding manager and I can't see why anyone wouldn't want him at their club. He's funny, charismatic, passionate (how many top managers celebrate the way he does?) and he wins trophies. What more could ya want? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Man United - Fergie doesn't look like he's ready to step aside just yet so unlikely to say the least. Also, people saying it would be the ultimate challenge? Seriously? Easily one of the best teams in England and one of the top teams in Europe. Not a whole lot of a challenge there.

Man City - Much more likely if they decide to ditch Mancini. Don't see why they would, but billionaire owners don't think like most people. The failures in Europe would be a challenge for him to fix.

Chelsea - Highly unlikely. He'd need a lot of guarantees that I couldn't see Abromovich giving him.

Arsenal - Again, highly unlikely. Would pose the biggest challenge of the four so far, but Wenger is contracted to 2014. He won't be going anywhere before that at the earliest.

Liverpool - No chance.

Tottenham - No chance.

PSG - A good possibility should they be looking for a new manager. Plenty of money to spend and a fairly big challenge Europe wise. Would he fancy France though?

Germany is also a possibility but I don't think their is any one stand out option for him. Several really good teams who he could take over and take on the European challenge. Can't see him going back to Italy, or anywhere else really.

I reckon he will stay at Madrid for another season at least, unless he manages to pull out a Champions League and League double so he can leave on the highest of highs. If he leaves, City, Germany or PSG for me, but again, I think he will stay where he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Man United - Fergie doesn't look like he's ready to step aside just yet so unlikely to say the least. Also, people saying it would be the ultimate challenge? Seriously? Easily one of the best teams in England and one of the top teams in Europe. Not a whole lot of a challenge there.

The challenge isn't just being manager of Man United. It's taking over from one of the best managers in the game. It's taking over from a man who has his own statue at the stadium and he hasn't even retired yet.

The challenge is taking charge after the legacy of Fergie. Mourinho took over from Ranieri, Mancini and Pellegrini. With all due respect, these lads haven't quite got the same status as Fergie has at United. It won't be that easy to take over United at first, considering they've had 1 manager for such a long time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

gnfnrhead wrote: »

Man City - Much more likely if they decide to ditch Mancini. Don't see why they would, but billionaire owners don't think like most people. The failures in Europe would be a challenge for him to fix.

Chelsea - Highly unlikely. He'd need a lot of guarantees that I couldn't see Abromovich giving him.

Arsenal - Again, highly unlikely. Would pose the biggest challenge of the four so far, but Wenger is contracted to 2014. He won't be going anywhere before that at the earliest.

Liverpool - No chance.

Tottenham - No chance.

PSG - A good possibility should they be looking for a new manager. Plenty of money to spend and a fairly big challenge Europe wise. Would he fancy France though?

Germany is also a possibility but I don't think their is any one stand out option for him. Several really good teams who he could take over and take on the European challenge. Can't see him going back to Italy, or anywhere else really.

I reckon he will stay at Madrid for another season at least, unless he manages to pull out a Champions League and League double so he can leave on the highest of highs. If he leaves, City, Germany or PSG for me, but again, I think he will stay where he is.

I like the Budesliga more than EPL but Mourinho would be far more likely to join Liverpool than any other Bundesliga team bar Bayern.
    Bundesliga is too on the periphery for Mourinho IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't think the Bundesliga is a league that Mourinho would consider beneath him. When he went to Inter, Serie A was struggling on the European stage worse than German teams are now. Bayern or Dortmund could be attractive to him if they are in need of a new manager. Probably a long shot though. I think we'd all agree he's highly unlikely to remain in Spain if he leaves Madrid. I can't see him going back to Serie A at this point in his career.

I think there are only three credible option for his next move: England, France or Germany.

With the Premiership, this would seem a decent option for him if he wants a more pleasant experience following his Madrid stint. The British media love him. What moves there are likely? I can only see three clubs there for him and they are the three top teams at present.

United is possible if the job is vacant. I could see Fergie wanting him there if he steps aside but perhaps Jose would view it as a bit of a poison chalice following SAF rather than a golden opportunity.

City I think is quite possible. I don't see Mancini there next season and if Jose's not in work they could go for him. He would have guaranteed funds and the challenge of giving them their first European Cup might tempt him. Possible complication though is the Barca connection developing behind the scenes at the club which could see them instead favour Pep.

Chelsea to me seems unlikely. They say never go back and he might feel uneasy about tarnishing his legacy there. RA seems to be obsessed with Pep and Jose might not want his old foe's shadow looming over him there.

PSG I think would be a tempting move for him, especially if PSG fall short in the title race. They have the players to win a title in the near future and the potential to help them do this and maybe progress in Europe might occupy him for a few years.

It will come down to what his personal goals are. If he wants the United job then I could see him going to PSG and biding his time there until Fergie walks away. If he is very eager to get back to the Premiership then I think he'll take the City job when it becomes available.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

He will end of at Man City, Man U or Bayern. Bayern would be interesting.

Munich would be fascinating. They'd have no problem with his style either..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

UTD all the way for me.

There has been a sense that they (UTD) have been lining up the planets for some time for this to happen.

Only way it won't is if City go gung ho and gazump them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

To the people saying he might decide to stay in Madrid, I'm not too sure it's his decision. I get the impression he is being nudged out the door.

Advertisement