Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DOE on vw type 2 westfalia???

• 03-12-2012 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi to all,

Went to the motor tax office this morning to tax vw type 2 westfalia, and was told that I would have to a DOE cert. before they would tax it.
    I thought that a vintage vehicle would be DOE exempt. They maintain all campers have to have a DOE cert now, regardless of age.
    I didn't think that rule applied to a 74 westfalia.
    This is my first time to tax this camper. Bought the camper in March 2011, then went about restoring it. I insured it on my beetle renewal in October 2012 for an extra 50 euros. If I do decide to DOE it, then I'm leaving myself open to the camper rate of 88 euros, when as a vintage vehicle the cost would be 57 euros or there abouts.
    Tried ringing shannon at 061 365 000 and 1890 411 412, but turns out to be the same contact, and couldn't get to talk to someone about the issue. No joy there.
    I'm assuming because all things are done through computers now, there are some gaps left out on their systems, and this being one of them.
    Or is it the case that because this is the first time to tax it under my name, that this rule applies. To be honest I'm not sure.
    Any help on the matter would be appreciated. Thanks.
    John.:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

This is why this country is busted, those running it must be total morons

Rant over :(

The RSA's own website says

Motor Caravans registered prior to 1st January 1980 are exempt from testing

See it HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 35 murfman53

niloc1951 wrote: »

See it HERE

Seen the RSA's website alright, and would have thought reading it leaves quite clear................but not all at the motor tax office are aware of it.
    Latest news, was in touch with the said tax office this afternoon, I've been reasured that if call tomorrow they will tax the camper for me and issue me with a vintage logbook. Apparently, the system cannot pick up certain vehicles, mine included. The cost at vintage rate 52 euros. All good news.
    Thanks for your reply.
    John.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

See it HERE

Yeah, but some of the educated plebs at these offices will also argue with you that its registration date in the state, not the country of origin..........aaarrgghhh.

kadman wrote: »
    Yeah, but some of the educated plebs at these offices will also argue with you that its registration date in the state, not the country of origin..........aaarrgghhh.

If they were in fact educated plebs instead of the other kind they would realise the stupidity of their argument :p.

Roadworthiness testing is from the date of first registration, end of. Not first registration in this State, otherwise the 4,2,2,2,1 schedule would mean that any secondhand car or camper over four years old imported today and first registered in this state today would not need a test until 2016 :rolleyes:.

If all else fails refer them to S.I. No. 771/2004 — European Communities (Vehicle Testing) Regulations, 2004 which states in plain English
    “first registration” means the date on which a vehicle was first registered, irrespective of country of registration, or where only the year of first registration is known, that year, in combination with the day and month of first registration in the State, and “first registered” shall be construed accordingly;
    :D.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Ha, ha,ha,...........they sent him home again, with no tax. Jaysus its better than a laurel and hardy snip. Sure you couldn,t write this.

• Advertisement

If they were in fact educated plebs instead of the other kind they would realise the stupidity of their argument :p.

Roadworthiness testing is from the date of first registration, end of. Not first registration in this State, otherwise the 4,2,2,2,1 schedule would mean that any secondhand car or camper over four years old imported today and first registered in this state today would not need a test until 2016 :rolleyes:.

If all else fails refer them to S.I. No. 771/2004 — European Communities (Vehicle Testing) Regulations, 2004 which states in plain English
    “first registration” means the date on which a vehicle was first registered, irrespective of country of registration, or where only the year of first registration is known, that year, in combination with the day and month of first registration in the State, and “first registered” shall be construed accordingly;
    :D.

Thanks for your reply,
    Just got back today from the motor tax office, and would you believe they still can't tax the camper. I made them aware of the RSA document and its contents, and the area regarding pre 1980 camper vehicles. They said they know about this document, but said they needed verification from shannon.
    At this stage its becoming a bit of a joke, they know about it, its written in plain english, where is the problem.
    Now I'm told that the girl who deals with this matter isn't working today, but she will be in tomorrow and that she sort out the problem for me tomorrow. Another trip back to the tax office, maybe I should park my 74 camper outside their office and take up residence.
    Thats the latest in this ongoing story.
    Again thanks for your help and advice.
    Let you know how I get on tomorrow.
    John.

kadman wrote: »
    Ha, ha,ha,...........they sent him home again, with no tax. Jaysus its better than a laurel and hardy snip. Sure you couldn,t write this.
    Must bring my camera with me tomorrow, then show it on utube.

John.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

If you get no joy tell the them you would like to speak to a manager, if they can't fix it on the spot tell them you would like to open a fromal complaint as they have wasted you time with numerous trips to their office and noting to show for it. Anything like have to fill out more paper work will make them find a way around it or do it over the phone.

If you get no joy tell the them you would like to speak to a manager, if they can't fix it on the spot tell them you would like to open a fromal complaint as they have wasted you time with numerous trips to their office and noting to show for it. Anything like have to fill out more paper work will make them find a way around it or do it over the phone.

Thanks for your suggestion. I know where you are coming from, and couldn't agree with you more.
    But...................................................................
    Went in again this afternoon and............................
    They TAXED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    They changed the Motor Taxation Class from Motor Caravan to VINTAGE.
    And stamped it.
    I made them aware that there were people out there in the same situation.
    Her reply was for them to ring their local tax office first, and make sure that they were aware of the new ruling, just avoid my plight.
    So things look like being the same, for the time being.
    My advice for anyone is to get it taxed as vintage, and the system might have a better chance of picking it up.
    All I can say is, thanks for all your help, suggestions and advice in dealing with this issue, which to me at the moment is far from resolved.
    Again, thanks to all.
    PS. The first registration of vehicle, regardless of where registration took place, in my case england, is used. And not the first registration in ireland, in my case ireland 1990.
    Evergrateful John.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

So now that you are happy let's see a pic of this vintage bus

• Advertisement

http://s1214.beta.photobucket.com/user/murfman53/media/IMG_0069-1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=16

I hope this works. First time to post pics on internet. The pics are of the restoring stages this year. But I will post more (the latest with furniture in etc.), if the above link opens up for you.

Nice to have it now taxed thank god.

John.

John.

Brings back the memories.
    I used to drive the delivery van version of one in the early '70's for a very tolerant company. It had a modified silencer to take the 'beetle' sound away and the centrifugal thingy in the rotor was tied back with a little bit of wire to disable the rev limiting function.
    Being absolutely mad and a budding rally driver in those days Cork-Caherciveen was regularly done in less than two hours. :D:D

More importantly, well done John, it looks like a very comprehensive restoration which will give many years of fun and pleasure. Will we see it on an Eireball Run some time, I have an eight year old grandson who has done it for the past couple of years with his Dad who has a 'work in progress' conversion.

Brings back the memories.
    I used to drive the delivery van version of one in the early '70's for a very tolerant company. It had a modified silencer to take the 'beetle' sound away and the centrifugal thingy in the rotor was tied back with a little bit of wire to disable the rev limiting function.
    Being absolutely mad and a budding rally driver in those days Cork-Caherciveen was regularly done in less than two hours. :D:D

More importantly, well done John, it looks like a very comprehensive restoration which will give many years of fun and pleasure. Will we see it on an Eireball Run some time, I have an eight year old grandson who has done it for the past couple of years with his Dad who has a 'work in progress' conversion.

Thanks ever so much for the kind words regarding the camper. I'm pretty pleased with the outcome, it takes time, but you do get a buzz out of it when you complete one job, and then move onto the next.
    Memories ......we've had ours to needless to say. We used to take out the rotor arm which had a spring in it to prevent over revving. And put in a regular one.I remember one guy in mullingar who used to work for the p&t. And his little trick was to remove the inlet manifolds, clean the insides thoroughly, and then put in tinfoil. His contention was that a smoother entry for the fuel was the key. He was a mechanic, and was asked if he could increase better fuel consumption on their fleet. I never did it myself, but he maintained it did the job. Always willing to learn new tricks.
    Cork cahirciveen in 2 hrs, they were the days, no police cameras speed limit........great crack!!!
    When I get a chance I'll put up more pics, now that I know how its done.
    Working on the engine tinware, still up on the lift, which was the best money ever spent.Gives you great comfort and ease.
    Again, thanks a million for comments and helping me out with your suggestions. Chat you soon.
    Take care.
    John.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

oh i like the look of that...

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    oh i like the look of that...

Thanks.
    It looks abit more complete now that all but unit is in the camper.
    New rear passenger window and new seal, which was a handful to get in.
    New rearflap window and seal. Its taking shape I must admit.
    Must put up more pics when I get it outside.
    Again, thanks for comment.

John.:):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

I'm a bit of a VeeDub fan , Dad has an Audi Quattro rallycar , sister has a lime green 60s Beetle , I've 3 mk1 Golfs , and I used to have a '79 LT that I drove home from the South of Germany!

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    I'm a bit of a VeeDub fan , Dad has an Audi Quattro rallycar , sister has a lime green 60s Beetle , I've 3 mk1 Golfs , and I used to have a '79 LT that I drove home from the South of Germany!

Ye are into the vws big time from the sound of it.
    Is the sisters lime green beetle still on the road?
    I too have an lt. Its an lt40 6 cylinder 2.5 diesel.
    Bought it to convert to a camper, but too late now.
    Its nice to know there are others out there with the same interests.
    If its any use to you, I have some door cards (2) and rear passenger cards (2), and front door handles. All white in colour. Came from a golf covertible, mark 1 I believe. I'm based in the midlands if you are ever passing through No charge for them, if you're interested.
    Keep the classics going.

John.

Advertisement