Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving to Ireland from the UK. JSA.

• 03-12-2012 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi I will be moving from the UK to Ireland in January to live with my fiancé in Dublin and I'm wondering if I am entitled to claim Jobseeker's Allowance. I have lived all my life in the UK and have been in my current job for almost 6 years now. My fiancé recently moved from the UK to start in a new job there and earns around 30000 a year. Obviously it is my intention to find a job ASAP but the transition would be a lot less stressful if I could claim benefit. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭macsauce

I thought you had to have accrued 52 weeks of prsi payments but im not that sure at all. Have a look at this link, it should answer it all for you

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_allowance.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Cainam

Thanks. I have looked at that already but it is a bit confusing though I haven't read anything regards the 52 weeks anywhere. At first glance I thought that because I am from the common travel area I would receive help but now I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭macsauce

I may be getting confused with illness benefit but i thought the conditions were the same. The best thing you could do is ring one of the welfare offices and explain it to them. From my dealings with them they've always been pretty helpful especially if you're there in person. Maybe someone in your fiancee's family could enquire on your behalf

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

If you get one stamp in Ireland that will entitle you to make a JSB claim based on your stamp history in the UK.

Thanks for the reply mp22, I'm not really sure what you mean by a stamp?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Cainam wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply mp22, I'm not really sure what you mean by a stamp?
    A stamp means a prsi payment ie a days/weeks work paying tax ect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭Gormal

Yes you can claim it once you get a pps number, so long as you have been working in the Uk for I think it was 2 years, but you have so that's fine. I think they just transfer everything over because of the 'common travel area'. You will need a whole lot of paperwork. Passport, birth cert, proof of address from uk and here etc. While they process your claim you apply for supplementary welfare allowance. They will take your fiancés income, into account along with any property, investments and savings you both may have.

See here and here is the form so you know whats coming. Also som FAQs

I brought my UK utility bills, bank statements, P45 the works. I think I had a few years worth! :p

Google is your friend ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

You also have to fulfill the Habitual Residency Condition. I had to bring ferry tickets, council tax bills, and my marriage cert (I married here) as well as 3 years worth of P60's as well as the above.

Yeah thanks Gormal I did actually do quite a bit of research online and you have confirmed what I thought to be the case. It's just I wasn't 100 percent and wanted someone else's opinion to be clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Cainam wrote: »
    Yeah thanks Gormal I did actually do quite a bit of research online and you have confirmed what I thought to be the case. It's just I wasn't 100 percent and wanted someone else's opinion to be clear.
    You need to have worked here for at least week and have made a PRSI contributionat class a before you could try and apply for JSB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭Gormal

You also have to fulfill the Habitual Residency Condition. I had to bring ferry tickets, council tax bills, and my marriage cert (I married here) as well as 3 years worth of P60's as well as the above.

The council tax (that's a swear word ;) ) bills, yes you need those I had a little bit of bother because I never had enough of them... don't know if I lost them or just a plain oversight on my part. Luckily I had loads of other stuff, as the council never forwarded me copies despite numerous requests.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Pamandamonium

Does anyone know roughly how long the claim takes to be processed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Depends on where you are. When I first claimed it took 12 weeks, repeated lost paperwork by Welfare and a snotogram from me before I got any money :mad: !

Advertisement