Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ignoring a member and avatars

Options
  • 03-12-2012 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭

Two things

Avatars, There really isn't any good one, so I settled for Mario. So any more to come soon?

Also the "ignore" function, I ignored a member and it turned out that this member could still see my posts, I also find it quite pointless when it shows such and such has posted. So my question here is why don't boards make it so, it appears to the ignored person that your no longer posting?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Why not subscribe and use a custom avatar?

And I don't think you should be able to select who can and cannot see your posts. That would defeat the purpose of having open discussion. I'm not sure if that would be even possible to implement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Dean09 wrote: »
    Why not subscribe and use a custom avatar?

And I don't think you should be able to select who can and cannot see your posts. That would defeat the purpose of having open discussion. I'm not sure if that would be even possible to implement.

too poor

well it works for facebook. But it's handy if you're getting sly digs.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Boards is not Facebook.

Facebook is not the Internet.

Different sites, different concepts, different functions.

Boards is not Facebook.

Facebook is not the Internet.

Different sites, different concepts, different functions.

I never said it was, I was only using it as an example..

Never said it was either.

Could you explain the function of the "Ignore" on boards, as I have no idea why its made this way? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

The ignore button is for you to ignore a poster, and to not see their posts unless you want to.
    Its quite simple really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Could you explain the function of the "Ignore" on boards, as I have no idea why its made this way? :confused:

When you add someone to your Ignore List you no longer see their posts. They cannot contact you by PM. Their contributions become hidden to you. Out of sight, out of mind.

What you seem to want here is be able to put yourself on other posters' Ignore lists. That should be their decision. You can't just say "I don't like you so now you can't read my posts".

alwaysadub wrote: »
    The ignore button is for you to ignore a poster, and to not see their posts unless you want to.
    Its quite simple really.

But then this poster you ignore can still read and quote your post. Which will lead to them quoting your post. You not replying and everyone thinking your rude for not replying.

When you add someone to your Ignore List you no longer see their posts. They cannot contact you by PM. Their contributions become hidden to you. Out of sight, out of mind.

What you seem to want here is be able to put yourself on other posters' Ignore lists. That should be their decision. You can't just say "I don't like you so now you can't read my posts".

Well, if your're getting sly digs from this poster and its been reported a number of times and nothings been done. I think this is more then fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

too poor

well it works for facebook. But it's handy if you're getting sly digs.

Facebook is a social network, it's whole premise is that you can choose who you want to talk to.

Boards is a discussion board, it's whole premise is that you discuss openly. Blocking people who would disagree with you from reading and rebutting is completely off the point.

But then this poster you ignore can still read and quote your post. Which will lead to them quoting your post. You not replying and everyone thinking your rude for not replying.
    So take them off ignore and reply to their posts and stand up for yourself.
    Or if you feel one particular poster is singling you out and hassling you, report him/her to a mod.

• Advertisement

Well, if your're getting sly digs from this poster and its been reported a number of times and nothings been done. I think this is more then fair.
    Well if its been reported an no action has been taken then take it to an admin. But to be honest, if no action has been taken by a mod then it may not warrant any action by a mod and may be completely within the rules of the forum.

Well if its been reported an no action has been taken then take it to an admin. But to be honest, if no action has been taken by a mod then it may not warrant any action by a mod and may be completely within the rules of the forum.

Abuse? I doubt it...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Publish the list of users you have on Ignore in your signature. That way people will know you are not being rude when you don't reply to some posts.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Abuse? I doubt it...
    Well you should pm an admin and get them to take a look at the posts in question.

Well you should pm an admin and get them to take a look at the posts in question.

I was a while ago, so i'm not sure if it too late? When it happens again I suppose I could.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Publish the list of users you have on Ignore in your signature. That way people will know you are not being rude when you don't reply to some posts.

I see what you're saying, But then people would know your're ignoring that poster, which I don't what that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If you don't want someone to read your posts, don't post.

If you don't want someone to read your posts, don't post.

So, I should stop post so one person can't read them? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes?

It's a public forum. If you don't want the public to see it, don't post it. Being able to selectively exclude one or more posters from viewing your posts flies completely contrary to the point of a discussion.

seamus wrote: »
    Yes?

It's a public forum. If you don't want the public to see it, don't post it. Being able to selectively exclude one or more posters from viewing your posts flies completely contrary to the point of a discussion.

But one person is hardly "the public"? There will still be another 14+ people to read my posts. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't think you're really getting it. It's a bit like a structured debate. Everyone stands at the podium and makes their point. And they can keep going up and making more points all they like.

When you're standing at the podium, you don't get the right to point at someone and say, "You! Get out while I make my point". However, you are free to leave while that person is speaking, if you wish.

Your posts are public. This means that you cannot choose who gets to see them. That's how this works.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

boards does not have the functionality to block people like Facebook does, it's that simple and there's no way to really code it in a practical way.

seamus wrote: »
    I don't think you're really getting it. It's a bit like a structured debate. Everyone stands at the podium and makes their point. And they can keep going up and making more points all they like.

When you're standing at the podium, you don't get the right to point at someone and say, "You! Get out while I make my point". However, you are free to leave while that person is speaking, if you wish.

Your posts are public. This means that you cannot choose who gets to see them. That's how this works.

I get this, But if there was one individual that kept shouting up abuse at you, I'm fairly sure you could tell them to get out or they would be told to get out by the organiser don't you think???.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

OldGoat wrote: »
    That's not a very nice thing to have on your sig though is it?
    And what if the person you were ignoring also had you on ignore? They wouldn't see your sig to know that you weren't being rude by ignoring them as they were also ignoring you. Or something.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I get this, But if there was one individual that kept shouting up abuse at you, I'm fairly sure you could tell them to get out or they would be told to get out by the organiser don't you think???.

You shouldn't assume that mods see everything. If someone is being abusive or harassing, then report the posts for a mod to ensure they're seen.

Where To wrote: »
    And what if the person you were ignoring also had you on ignore? They wouldn't see your sig to know that you weren't being rude by ignoring them as they were also ignoring you. Or something.

Yup, so true. But a lot of people don't have the signature enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Where To wrote: »
    If two users have each other on ignore then I fail to see the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Spear wrote: »

You shouldn't assume that mods see everything. If someone is being abusive or harassing, then report the posts for a mod to ensure they're seen.
    +1

Op,it appears you feel aggrieved by the form of another poster. Any abuse should he reported and perhaps even take a log of it yourself. Then consider approaching the local mods and c mods.... If you're still not happy then consider an administrator....

From a feedback perspective, I would not advocate or echo your view that the ignore function should act like the "block" function on Facebook....

MugMugs wrote: »
    +1

Op,it appears you feel aggrieved by the form of another poster. Any abuse should he reported and perhaps even take a log of it yourself. Then consider approaching the local mods and c mods.... If you're still not happy then consider an administrator....

From a feedback perspective, I would not advocate or echo your view that the ignore function should act like the "block" function on Facebook....

Yup, I never really thought of taking it down or even going to an admin, Cheers.

Ya, I suppose your're right.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭TheFisherKing

So, I should stop post so one person can't read them? :confused:
    Even if Boards could implement a system where users could no longer see posts made by members that had them on their ignore list, sure it would be quite easily circumvented, as all they would have to do is log-out and they'd be able to see all.

It would also mean that users would be able to tell who had them on ignore or not and so it would then quite quickly become a function used primarily to stick two fingers at other users.

I think, unless people are being abusive, then getting rid of them either physically, or just functionally (as it would be in this case) is a little unfair as even if you don't like someone's views and/or opinions, at the end of the day this is a discussion forum and so even though you might disagree with 99% of what someone's says, there is that 1% exception that might just be a nugget of gold that could even change or inform your opinion on one thing or another.

Tbh, I think even the ignore function as it is pointless as you can still see whenever the users you have on ignore are quoted anyway.

Be a Jedi and just ignore them with your mind.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement