Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband problem

Options
  • 03-12-2012 2:18pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Been on eircom for years, got an upgrade to a wireless modem and I'm getting internet dropouts on a near hourly basis. It seems to go away for a day or two and then I'm back to seeing the red light come on. The only pattern I can see is that it seems to be far worse during the day. Rarely drops in the evenings/night. Given Im in a residential area that would seem to cross contention issues off the list. Ideas? On the ancient non wireless Eircom modem I honestly can't recall a single drop in 5 or 6 years.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi Wibbs

Can you please PM me your account number/phone so i can look into this for you?

Regards

Al

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Just to say, Alan was extremely helpful, thanks and hopefully I'm all sorted now. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭burstbuckle

Wibbs wrote: »
    Just to say, Alan was extremely helpful, thanks and hopefully I'm all sorted now. :)

Wibbs I can assure you the problem won't be sorted,I've phoned eircom this morning to cancel my contract after 22 months with them.ive had the same problem as you,each time they sent me out a new modem & that would work for a short while then go the way of the others,I've been through 4 or 5 modems in less than 2 years,at one stage eircom said I'd be better off buying a modem cause theirs aren't that good,that was from eircom,a month ago my Internet stopped working completely & I was without for 4 days,I complained again to no avail,I've been away from home for 3 weeks & got home last week & it was working fine until 3 days ago,now it takes me 10 mins to watch a 2 min clip on YouTube.thats the final nail in the coffin I rang today for the last time & eircom got arsey with me about cancelling my contract,well I don't care see ye in court if you want,your contracted to supply me with a service.I had to laugh when eircom said I could buy a product off them to speed it up,eh it was fine last week & now cause your service is ****e I've to pay more,my last 2 monthly bill was €170 I think that's more than enough.im happy to give my details on here to an eircom rep,ill be keeping it as a record of this taking place,have phoned WiMAX & few of my mates have it & swear by it & it's a lot cheaper,fuming with eircom & their attitude,my advice don't touch them even if its free

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Maybe it will BB, maybe it won't. I did get sorted before with an issue(modem died) and only had that and this current issue with the eircom service since 2005 so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on that basis anyway.

Why didn't I switch to another service during all that time? Oh I would have loved to on price(and speed) that's for sure, but mostly because of the nature of my work where I saw all varieties of home broadband services I noted eircom ones were near the bottom of the list for trouble. If they could connect you(that was an issue at times) it would work*. To give you an idea I had 7 years on the old stylee small blue yoke eircom non wireless modem/router without a single drop, ever. Over that time I watched my neighbour switch services all over the place because of problems.

These days? it's my humble that a lot, if not most of their problems are down to their modems, as you referenced yourself. They're pretty "meh" in quality. TBH I'm kinda sorry I gave my ancient steam powered non wireless modem back. BTW Alan if in the office there's a lead bucket marked hazardous waste and you find a nicotine and beer stained old modem in there, it's mine and I want it back :)

My current problem looks more like a line issue than modem/router though and it's a bloody weird problem with it(imagine a contention issue in reverse). Alan suggested a fix so we'll see how it goes.

Basically I was just tipping my hat to Alan as he was more than helpful at his end anyway, so that's what I was trying to highlight. Even if the company were flesh eating zombies he was on the ball. To often we can freak at the rep guy or gal, not the company involved so...

*Eircom used to be a glorious pain in the whatsit if you did have a problem mind you. No talk to forum back then and the phone would ring for an age...

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭burstbuckle

what do you know i'm back up & running at full speed again.hope I get a few more days out of it until my wimax is installed.Best of luck I hope your problem is sorted,I know it's not the rep's fault but he represents the company & their terms & conditions.As i said though I've had a 2 year nightmare with them & it's just about coming to an end.

• Advertisement
Advertisement