Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Inspiron 1545. Battery needed?

Options
  • 03-12-2012 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi folks,
    I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 and have had for the last, nearly three years.
    I've had to replace the charger due to wear and tear, and for the last six months or so I've had to keep the charger plugged in all the time.
    The laptop won't work unless plugged in.
    Anyhow, I take it the battery on the pc needs replacing?
    If so, where is the best/cheapest place to source it?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

This charger you bought, was it form Dell? Do you get a "plugged in, not charging" when you view the battery in the bottom right-hand corner?

Anyways, standard life for batteries is between 3-4 years before it's charge dwindles to nothing.

Still, unless the charger is up to scratch if you buy a new battery it won't charge and your laptop's CPU will be throttled leaving it slow and sluggish.

Here's one from LaptopBatteries.ie. You won't find one easy on the likes of Ebay or Amazon considering the ban of lithium batteries coming through Royal Mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 traveller2

Thanks Duggy, I get 'plugged in, charging' in the bottom right hand corner when I look at the bottom right hand corner.
    The charger is fine, so is it the battery that needs replacing or likely some other fault?
    Cheers

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

traveller2 wrote: »
    Thanks Duggy, I get 'plugged in, charging' in the bottom right hand corner when I look at the bottom right hand corner.
    The charger is fine, so is it the battery that needs replacing or likely some other fault?
    Cheers

It could be the battery that needs replacing, it could also be the charger is not providing enough voltage to charge the battery (would need to check charger with a multimeter to confirm this).
    The battery crowd mentioned above I would not reccomend. Had problems with them recently (sent wrong battery) and had to wait for paypal to refund me in the end after I sent it back. I would ring around laptop repair shops locally who may be able to source a battery for you, or you could try these guys. Do check the charger first though

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 39 traveller2

Hi Nick,
    I'm actually on my second charger with this laptop. My own fault due to wear and tear..so it's not the charger I think. Where/how can I check with a multimeter? Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

traveller2 wrote: »
    Hi Nick,
    I'm actually on my second charger with this laptop. My own fault due to wear and tear..so it's not the charger I think. Where/how can I check with a multimeter? Thanks

It's quite easy to do, but if your not sure about it if you have any friends with an electronics background ask could they do it for you. If your on the second charger it is possibly a generic one and sometimes they can be dodgy, I have seen a generic charger boot but not charge a machine due to only supplying 15v (machine needed 19v). It is not good if the charger is not working correctly. Dell machines also have in built protection methods to try and block generic chargers. Try and borrow a Dell charger from someone and see if it charges your battery (if your charger is an original Dell one this wouldn't be an issue)

Nick

• Advertisement
Advertisement