Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New punishments for crimes

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Thanks, what recommednations can you make then?
    Better minds than me, with more experience in this field, will make the recommendations. I'm just trying to steer the conversation away from the idea that punishment is the sole point of a criminal justice system.
    Brevick only got 21 years!
    He got the maximum sentence that's legally possible in Norwegian law, but that doesn't mean he's automatically free at the end of it. If he's still considered a risk to society at the end of his sentence, he will continue to be detained until he's not.

Which makes perfect sense. If he's a threat to society, why let him go? If he's not a threat to society, why detain him any longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭pitythefool

charlemont wrote: »
    Its to the left of the main gate.

as in block d, now i have you, soz

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Better minds than me, with more experience in this field, will make the recommendations. I'm just trying to steer the conversation away from the idea that punishment is the sole point of a criminal justice system. He got the maximum sentence that's legally possible in Norwegian law, but that doesn't mean he's automatically free at the end of it. If he's still considered a risk to society at the end of his sentence, he will continue to be detained until he's not.

Which makes perfect sense. If he's a threat to society, why let him go? If he's not a threat to society, why detain him any longer?

Thats a good point why would the likes of the Dundons and the Monk be released when they are an obvious danger to society

The recommendations are for current cases that are in he news, not looking for experience just inventve sentences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Unfortunately, another major area of concern and complete lack of infrastructure that the Bertie boys overlooked during the boom. As with millions wasted on discussing where a stadium should go, they never got around to a complete (as desperately needed) prison reform. The standards of our prisons are one of the worst in the developed world and we should have built a "mega" prison during the boom - as far as I know land was bought and all the usual brown bag issues, but it never got to the green light stage - our country is desperately undermined by the inability to punish criminals and lack of facilities to attempt reform of criminals. We are destined for a revolving door system for the forseable future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

True but you still have to eat sleep and sh*t in the same small space, locked in 16 hours a day.
    notice you didn't mention the base.

The way you talk about prisoners being locked up all day you would swear it was against human rights..Most people work an 8 hour day and prison is a punishment too, Fair enough some of the jails are a disgrace I spent one night in Cork and it was a horrible cell, I was on the Mountjoy base for two weeks before An officer I knew got me into the cleaners cell as the committals were holding 10/15 prisoners, They were split in the night into two groups with one group sleeping in the showers. There were some dodgy characters there including Beast Cawley, Its the only place in Ireland where I ever saw a cockroach.

charlemont wrote: »
    The way you talk about prisoners being locked up all day you would swear it was against human rights.
    You don't think being locked in your cell all day is contrary to human rights? Is that because you think it's OK to lock any human in a cell for 16 hours of every day, or because you don't think prisoners are human?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

You don't think being locked in your cell all day is contrary to human rights? Is that because you think it's OK to lock any human in a cell for 16 hours of every day, or because you don't think prisoners are human?

And who is actually locked in their cell all day for 16 hours ? Its not like you would have 16 hours straight in a cell.

Someone already posted the daily routine for most prisoners, Anyone I knew that was locked up all day would be there for punishment.

Asking do I think are prisoners human is a bit daft, I'v been a prisoner and deservedly so, Some of the soundest people I'v known have been prisoners.

There is a need for more cell accommodation and workshops to give more prisoners work but honestly what can the staff do with prisoners if there is nothing to do for them, The yards are small but lots of prisoners do pass the day out there too.

But thinking now of prison staff and prisoner safety what exactly would you do with a dangerous prisoner ? Let him out of his cell all day regardless of his behaviour or lock him into confinement till he learns his lesson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Thats a good point why would the likes of the Dundons and the Monk be released when they are an obvious danger to society

The recommendations are for current cases that are in he news, not looking for experience just inventve sentences

Now I know you are just a wind up artist.
    the Monk hasn't ever been convicted of any serious offence, In fact I dont think he has been convicted of anything since he was a kid.

Now I know you are just a wind up artist.
    the Monk hasn't ever been convicted of any serious offence, In fact I dont think he has been convicted of anything since he was a kid.

Prsumed he was in jail at some point and he is hardly an upstanding cintzen regardless,

Same point then with just the Dundons

• Advertisement

England footballer Andy Carroll was accused of gouging the eye of a Dublin Photographer in the paper today, as well as throwing him to the ground

If guilty, what punishment should he recieve

If the photographer is full of BS the what punishment should he get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

England footballer Andy Carroll was accused of gouging the eye of a Dublin Photographer in the paper today, as well as throwing him to the ground

If guilty, what punishment should he receive

If the photographer is full of BS the what punishment should he get

If the jury finds the accused guilty, the judge has to decide what the sentence should be. It can never be up to members of the public high strung on emotions to sentence anyone.

this is experimental, alternative sentences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

this is experimental, alternative sentences

Andy caroll english footballer if found guilty should be sentenced to play for Ireland for the next four years.:)

Funny as that might be, i dont think we want him! Useless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Does anyone know when the Government last built a prison?

It seems the crims are always back on the streets because there is no capacity to put them away.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know when the Government last built a prison?

It seems the crims are always back on the streets because there is no capacity to put them away.

Very true, im sure Wiley can fill us in on this one

I was once mugged by 4 guys on my was into town who were out for good behaviour, my friend had a brain heomrage in the same incident, they were sentenced to a year for me even though i was fine and 6 months suspended for assaulting my mate, to run concurrentlty,

Not just with their sentence for assaulting us but with the sentence they were to be sent back to jail for

And before anyone says thats up to the judge, I know it is what im saying is the judge is wrong

Very true, im sure Wiley can fill us in on this one

I was once mugged by 4 guys on my was into town who were out for good behaviour, my friend had a brain heomrage in the same incident, they were sentenced to a year for me even though i was fine and 6 months suspended for assaulting my mate, to run concurrentlty,

Not just with their sentence for assaulting us but with the sentence they were to be sent back to jail for

And before anyone says thats up to the judge, I know it is what im saying is the judge is wrong

"Out on good behaviour" means they served their sentence, they cant be sent back as the good behaviour (as you call it) is remission.
    Last prisons to be built by the government were Castlerea, midlands, and the extension to Wheatfield.
    A new prison is to be built in Cork, but it's capacity will be less than the current number held in overcrowded conditions in the existing prison.

Why is it that so many posters see prison, which has generally failed as a solution in every place and every era it was tried, as the ultimate and best solution to all crime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

This is an experimental thread

Alot of people wouldnt mind seeing rapists neutered

I wouldnt mind seeing gangland killers of innocents locked into the worst conditions possible with very little human rights

Just remember this is experimental and can progress with new cases that are reported in the paper
    Apologies, I was posting from my phone and actually thought this was in the Legal Discussion forum. As it isn't I will bow out, but a general point I would raise is that there is no broad solution to sentencing and punishment in general. The flogging brigade would want to be very convinced that the justice system was flawless before suggesting such harsh punishment. I for one wouldn't want to be falsely accused and convicted of rape or murder where the punishment was death. Unfortunately, this happens.

Not would I want a hand chopped off for stealing. Where do you draw the line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

realies wrote: »
    If the jury finds the accused guilty, the judge has to decide what the sentence should be. It can never be up to members of the public high strung on emotions to sentence anyone.

Some people might suggest that sentencing practice and the severity of a sentencing should be a direct reflection of the pain/damage the crime has inflicted on society as a whole.

Unlike other countries Ireland doesn't have definitive sentencing guidelines or a sentencing council. Its a well known that sentencing practices are extremely varied here, there isn't consistency in sentencing of crimes; judges personal oponions do seem to be reflected in the sentencing they impose; judges moods also appear to play a part too.

Prisons are meant to be a place of last resort in a civilised society.

The countries with the lowest crime and recidivism rates are countries that use alternatives to prison except when violence against a person is involved; then the sanction is very severe.

"Out on good behaviour" means they served their sentence, they cant be sent back as the good behaviour (as you call it) is remission.
    Last prisons to be built by the government were Castlerea, midlands, and the extension to Wheatfield.
    A new prison is to be built in Cork, but it's capacity will be less than the current number held in overcrowded conditions in the existing prison.

Why is it that so many posters see prison, which has generally failed as a solution in every place and every era it was tried, as the ultimate and best solution to all crime?

Thats why im looking for alternatives

• Advertisement

Apologies, I was posting from my phone and actually thought this was in the Legal Discussion forum. As it isn't I will bow out, but a general point I would raise is that there is no broad solution to sentencing and punishment in general. The flogging brigade would want to be very convinced that the justice system was flawless before suggesting such harsh punishment. I for one wouldn't want to be falsely accused and convicted of rape or murder where the punishment was death. Unfortunately, this happens.

Not would I want a hand chopped off for stealing. Where do you draw the line?

I was hoping the death penalty and torture would be kept out to e fair

Unlike other countries Ireland doesn't have definitive sentencing guidelines or a sentencing council. Its a well knownthat sentencing practices are extremely varied here, there isn't consistency in sentencing of crimes.

This is very true and can even be seen in my case that i mentioned above.

In that case I wouldnt have minded so much if i hadnt found out that they attacked further people on release.

A mandatory sociology course to help these guys understand the consequences of their actions would have put my mind slighlt at ease also

This is very true and can even be seen in my case that i mentioned above.

In that case I wouldnt have minded so much if i hadnt found out that they attacked further people on release.

A mandatory sociology course to help these guys understand the consequences of their actions would have put my mind slighlt at ease also

Perhaps it's our legislators who need to study Sociology, and indeed Criminology!

If you are interested in the Irish Penal System you would do worse that read some of Prof. Ian O'Donnells work on Recidivism in Ireland, and "Where Prisoners Go" which is his and others study on the demographic dispersal of released prisoners. Another one to look for is Dr. Cormac Behans work, he is now lecturing in Criminology at sheffield Univerity, he previously worked within the Prison Education Service here.

Perhaps it's our legislators who need to study Sociology, and indeed Criminology!

If you are interested in the Irish Penal System you would do worse that read some of Prof. Ian O'Donnells work on Recidivism in Ireland, and "Where Prisoners Go" which is his and others study on the demographic dispersal of released prisoners. Another one to look for is Dr. Cormac Behans work, he is now lecturing in Criminology at sheffield Univerity, he previously worked within the Prison Education Service here.

I would have imagined that sociology is studied in all Universities to some level, crimonology should definately be part of any law degree

I would have imagined that sociology is studied in all Universities to some level, crimonology should definately be part of any law degree

Sociology is not taught in all Universities at some level, and criminology is a branch of Sociology, though it also invoves Psychology and Psyschiatry.

Sociology is not taught in all Universities at some level, and criminology is a branch of Sociology, though it also invoves Psychology and Psyschiatry.

Not even law degrees?

I know I would have scorn poured over me by the bleeding hearts, but I don't care if prison is a solution to crime or not.

Crims become crims because they choose to.
    The more prison spaces & longer sentences there are means less filth on the streets.

If same people refuse to have a stake in or respect society, I couldn't care less if prisons rehabilitate them or not.

[MOD]Less emotive/provocative language would be nice.[/MOD]

I know I would have scorn poured over me by the bleeding hearts, but I don't care if prison is a solution to crime or not.

The more prison spaces & longer sentences there are means less filth on the streets.

If same people refuse to have a stake in or respect society, I couldn't care less if prisons rehabilitate them or not.

Rehabilitate is the key word there

What if prisons are not rehabilitating prisoners?

I'm suspending my self-imposed exile from politics because I think this thread is interesting. Perhaps the problem isn't the punishment but the prisons. They do nothing but make criminals better criminals. Plus they're chock full of people and provide no opportunities to rehabilitate offenders. I also do not understand this "right" to a TV. They should get recreation time and have a communal TV which they can watch for set periods.

You seem to be far from alone in that view. The point I've been trying to make in this thread is that if more people cared about whether or not what we're doing is working, we might be doing something that worked.

Speaking for myself: if I had a choice between a system that reduced the level of crime in society, and one that made those bad, naughty, wicked people suffer for their crimes, I'd opt for a safer society.

I guess that makes me a bleeding heart.

• Advertisement

Then can you explain why the countries with the highest incarceration rates (USA,UK etc) also have the highest crime rates....would appear that prison does not in fact deter crime and does not make the streets any safer.

By the way referring to people as Filth is highly offensive in my opinion.

I'm suspending my self-imposed exile from politics because I think this thread is interesting. Perhaps the problem isn't the punishment but the prisons. They do nothing but make criminals better criminals. Plus they're chock full of people and provide no opportunities to rehabilitate offenders. I also do not understand this "right" to a TV. They should get recreation time and have a communal TV which they can watch for set periods.

You had a freudian slip there, why would we want better criminals

As far as TV goes, a communal TV is a good idea, it could be a democracy set on what is shown with a majority rule on what to watch

Then can you explain why the countries with the highest incarceration rates (USA,UK etc) also have the highest crime rates....would appear that prison does not in fact deter crime and does not make the streets any safer.

I got a warning for that earlier, so best to keep insults off this thread

http://www.prisonstudies.org/info/wo...ory=wb_poprate

UK seems to be fairly down the list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rceration_rate

I got a warning for that earlier, so best to keep insults off this thread

Who did I insult?

UK rates are over 100% higher than Norway/Sweden/Finland
    and 50% higher than ours.
    Now check the crime rates against the countries.

UK rates are over 100% higher than Norway/Sweden/Finland
    and 50% higher than ours.
    Now check the crime rates against the countries.

I thought thats what is did?, have you perhaps written that wrong?

I thought thats what is did?, have you perhaps written that wrong?

You have provided two links to incarceration rates, but no link to crime rates.
    I am suggesting that you compare incarceration rates with crime rates in certain countries as I believe it will show that higher incarceration rates does not equate to a lower crime rate as many would claim.

You have provided two links to incarceration rates, but no link to crime rates.
    I am suggesting that you compare incarceration rates with crime rates in certain countries as I believe it will show that higher incarceration rates does not equate to a lower crime rate as many would claim.

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message1130976/pg1

I see that the UK are in the top ten reported crime list but vey low down on incarceration, this could have two variables though

Other countries may not report crime

The UK are slow to incarcerate people

Are their any better scales out there to measure this

• Advertisement

Speaking for myself: if I had a choice between a system that reduced the level of crime in society, and one that made those bad, naughty, wicked people suffer for their crimes, I'd opt for a safer society.

Why the choice?

We could always do both Oscar.
    It is possible to reduce crime and punish those who break crime.

Why the choice?

We could always do both Oscar.
    It is possible to reduce crime and punish those who break crime.

Well can you provide a link to a modern country with high imprisonment rates, which is what Oscar was talking about, and a low crime rate?
    The countries that lock up the least amount of citizens tend to have the lower rates of crime.

Who did I insult?

No one i should have quoted your previous quote "filth" where you advised against saying it

Well can you provide a link to a modern country with high imprisonment rates, which is what Oscar was talking about, and a low crime rate?
    The countries that lock up the least amount of citizens tend to have the lower rates of crime.

Are all crime rates reported in these countries and do they have a system as advanced as USA/UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Or the worst convication rates. This can be due to corruption or an ineffective judiciary.

Sweden have a high crime rate and a low incarceration rate?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Sweden have a high crime rate and a low incarceration rate?

As in Norway, you can be queued to go to jail and wait for two months before entering your sentence. Bit too trusting for my liking.

JustinDee wrote: »
    Or the worst convication rates. This can be due to corruption or an ineffective judiciary.

I would hardly consider countries like Norway, Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Iceland etc to fall into that catagory.

I would hardly consider countries like Norway, Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Iceland etc to fall into that catagory.

According to figures Norway still have a high crime rate with a low convistion rate, which is contradictory to your point

According to figures Norway still have a high crime rate with a low convistion rate, which is contradictory to your point
    Can you post a link to your figures please.

You had a freudian slip there, why would we want better criminals

As far as TV goes, a communal TV is a good idea, it could be a democracy set on what is shown with a majority rule on what to watch
    No I mean our current prisons do. So it doesn't matter what the punishment is if the prisons are inherently broken.

• Advertisement
Advertisement