Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Osram Nightbreakers

• 03-12-2012 2:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, so I could not hold my piss leppla :rolleyes: and got a set of H4's and H7's in the local motorfactors this a.m when coming back from a spin. Got them both for €50 so its not the end of the world.

Gonna fit them after dinner today and see what the difference is. Will take a vid or pics of the before and after and let you regular spinners see them on Sunday or whatever.

Lads in factors where saying the bulbs are selling like mental lately with the really dark evening at 4:30ish now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

i fitted them to the F650 a few weeks ago and to the car at the same time, can't tell the difference to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Was going to get them but just couldn't justify the price. Maybe if I did a lot more driving on back roads at night I'd go for them

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hunglikeaflee

I have them in the cage and I see no difference. In fact I used a lux meter from about 10 meters away before and after and it went up by only about 2% from memory.

I will add I got them free so it didn't bother me but if I had paid for them I would have been pissed.

They are a higher temperature which gives the appearance of better light but sometimes you can loose light output with a higher colour temperature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I had them a few years ago on my car. Not sure about producing more light, but mine had a nice slight blue tint which I thought was nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I forgot to mention I got the Osram nightbreaker plus bulbs....not sure if their is a difference over the standard osrams.

Well 1st impressions are is that they are brighter, alot brighter. Now that could be down to the white light as opposed to the yellow hue of the standard old bulbs. That were not that good TBH, where I had the bike parked in the back garden the side wall is about 15ft away, the wall was lit up a hell of alot more with the new bulbs then the old ones...so that is a result for me.

I would say that even if you got a set of bulbs that omitted "white light" as opposed to yellow they would be effective aswell. I cannot say if they are shining further as claimed on the box (35metres extra seems a irish to me) I have not been out in the dark today so will let you know whats what. But anything that lights up the bike more is a good thing in my box, as regards to price it depends how you look at it.

I would rather spend the money on the lights rather then buying smokes all week. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I put some H4 nightbreaker plus into my sv a while back and they made a massive difference for me. They light up the road firther and in general light up everything around a lot more than the poxy old bulbs i had.

I think they are a worthy investment, looking forward to seeing how they are on the road in the dark. I am gonna adjust the headlights aswell for good measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭riggsfitz

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I forgot to mention I got the Osram nightbreaker plus bulbs....not sure if their is a difference over the standard osrams.

Well 1st impressions are is that they are brighter, alot brighter. Now that could be down to the white light as opposed to the yellow hue of the standard old bulbs. That were not that good TBH, where I had the bike parked in the back garden the side wall is about 15ft away, the wall was lit up a hell of alot more with the new bulbs then the old ones...so that is a result for me.

I would say that even if you got a set of bulbs that omitted "white light" as opposed to yellow they would be effective aswell. I cannot say if they are shining further as claimed on the box (35metres extra seems a irish to me) I have not been out in the dark today so will let you know whats what. But anything that lights up the bike more is a good thing in my box, as regards to price it depends how you look at it.

I would rather spend the money on the lights rather then buying smokes all week. ;)

Yellow light cuts through fog thats why street lights are that colour.

riggsfitz wrote: »
    Yellow light cuts through fog thats why street lights are that colour.

Dont know if this is true,
    there yellow because of the sodium filaments (cheap) in the bulbs.
    If your ever driving through Ballymun at night note the white lights on the main road.Far better light.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

urbanledge wrote: »
    Dont know if this is true,
    there yellow because of the sodium filaments (cheap) in the bulbs.
    If your ever driving through Ballymun at night note the white lights on the main road.Far better light.

This is true:D. They produce the most light for the power that they consume, therefore they are the most cost efficient. Only reason they are not used for many other applications is because of the yellow light they paint everything in.

• Advertisement

Street light are low preasure sodium vapour bulb or Sox

SOX low-pressure sodium lamps have a luminous efficacy of up to 178 lm/W. The emitted light has a monochromatic yellow color (sodium line 590 nm) for high-contrast visibility in mist and fog....

White light when it hits fog it dispurses and causes a glare hence why you drive with dipped head lights in foggy.

Any who kinda back on topic. Thinking about getting one of the double tronic modules for zx10. I like the idea of the symmeterial headlight. Has anybody got any experience of these. Link to site.
    http://www.doubletronics.com/
    Or HID kit
    http://www.coremoto.com/HID_CONVERSION_KIT_p/hid%20kit%201.htm
    And keep the single dipped headlight.

riggsfitz wrote: »
    Street light are low preasure sodium vapour bulb or Sox

SOX low-pressure sodium lamps have a luminous efficacy of up to 178 lm/W. The emitted light has a monochromatic yellow color (sodium line 590 nm) for high-contrast visibility in mist and fog....

White light when it hits fog it dispurses and causes a glare hence why you drive with dipped head lights in foggy.

SOX Lamps are used for street lighting for this reason.

They are not purposely yellow too cut through fog. They are just yellow and so happen to cut through fog.

Remember years ago all the square fog lamps on cars were usually that horrible dingy yellow.....jaysus showing my age now.

Any way this is the most cost effective solution without going HID etc and installing kit on the bike that I would prefer not to do TBH.

I think everyone will agree ( or should) that HIDs are deffo the best lights you can get if you want brightness. However they come with having to install transformers and possibly modify your light housing.
    For that reason like Wonda I think for now I will stay away from them on the bike as I dont want to put any extra load on the RR or the battery. So the best option apart from HIDs seem to be the Osram Nightbreakers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Wonda this is the light i have as my main headlight, funny thing is it is nearly the same as my highbeam light. Very good bulb especially for this time of year

Wonda this is the light i have as my main headlight, funny thing is it is nearly the same as my highbeam light. Very good bulb especially for this time of year

Do you have the high and low beam fitted Gramham? You light is bright...i remember it like a car on the return trip from Belfast that time.
    I think why it works so well for me is that i have the dual headlight mod done so i am getting the best of both worlds.

Mine are H4 so they are dual filament.
    My current lowbeam is the same as my old ****ty high beam and my current high beam make me feel like im driving in daylight, lol

I'm almost convinced to give these a go. Are they available online anywhere for a decent price?

• Advertisement

goodlad wrote: »
    Mine are H4 so they are dual filament.
    My current lowbeam is the same as my old ****ty high beam and my current high beam make me feel like im driving in daylight, lol

The FZ6 takes one H4 and one H7...pain in the arse as i had to buy a set of each. But at least i have a spare set of each buld in case they blow.

I was out today and they are so bright even in the daylight i could see the wind...pmsl. Only taking the piss.

One H4 and one H7...
    So you have dual headlight on dipped and only one on highbeam?

goodlad wrote: »
    One H4 and one H7...
    So you have dual headlight on dipped and only one on highbeam?

What way are your lights set up Wonda? Cant get my head round it:confused::confused:

Is your dual mod just a H7 that comes on with the full beam?

Whichever way its setup he is just getting one bulb on one of the settings.
    As far as i can see he is getting a dipped beam from the H4 and the H7 then when he flicks on highbeam the second filament in the H4 kicks in.

I am getting a low beam on each side left and right constantly the minute the bike is turned on, I have no choice the lights are on full time. Then when I flick the pass button (or hit high beams) I get the full beam. Then the high beam on the right hand side.

I have the pics on my phone before and after the bulbs, the difference is quite big. But the bulbs I took out were very bad in fairness.

Yup so its setup the way i thought.
    But is there a reason you can just mod it a little more and put on 2x H4 so you get high beam on both sides?

Hmm maybe there is. But alot of peeps on the FZ6 forum say not to even do the headlight mod in the 1st place, with the drain on the battery or rec/reg whichever it is. Plus the fact that the H4 bulbs are alot bigger then the H7 and would not fit into the slot on the headlamp unit on the left to have 2 high beam enabled headlamps. One is 3 prong and the other is 2 prong, but I am sure there is an easy way around that for the handy would be sparks. Which I am not that way inclined..............OHHH MATRON!

Is it so bright people coming towards you flash their lights at you? That's how bright I want :D

Well just aim them arseways and they will flash you...lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Do you have the high and low beam fitted Gramham? You light is bright...i remember it like a car on the return trip from Belfast that time.
    I think why it works so well for me is that i have the dual headlight mod done so i am getting the best of both worlds.

Only got the low beam done, i have 2 separate bulbs one for hi and one for low, only decided to do the low beam, might look at the high beam soon tbh. Only thing is i would have to buy a pack of 2:rolleyes:

Advertisement