Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation Help for GC Students

• 03-12-2012 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Absolutely awful news at the weekend about a GC student :(:(:(

Can this thread be used by incoming students not from Dublin to write an area they are thinking of moving to. Any GC students (past and present) please provide advice to students.

From my personal experience stay away from anywhere West of Griffith College. I heard complaints from Far down the south circular road, rialto, inchicore & cork street. If you are only in GC for a semester then just stay in Griffith halls.

*note, I do not wish to paint an entire area with the same brush but a lot of students come just for one term so its best we provide some advice where possible.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Thoughts are with the Families.

However one must not jump to conclusions - the area GCD is in itself is actually quite good the surrounding areas can be a bit ropey but that's true of most places in Dublin. I think it's difficult to pin point areas to avoid. A friend of mine grew up in Dolphins Barn - the area gets a terrible reputation but actually some areas are pretty nice.

I live down on the Quays near Wattling St and Bridgefoot St. areas I would be very wary of at night, but where I am on the Quays is grand - they're within 150m of each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭TimotiSt

I live on the other end of the street where it happened. It's so peaceful usually, I didn't see it coming...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

campus is a nightmare by all accounts

Please explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Plain of Aleion

TimotiSt wrote: »
    I live on the other end of the street where it happened. It's so peaceful usually, I didn't see it coming...

Saw this in AH. Dont think it looks peaceful at all

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=st.+anthonys+road+dublin&hl=en&ll=53.336344,-6.294844&spn=0.007803,0.01929&safe=off&hnear=St+Anthony's+Rd,+Dublin,+County+Dublin,+Ireland&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.336504,-6.294739&panoid=6cuYSyhFtfN40Il7EAl7NQ&cbp=12,142.22,,1,17.73

The difference between locals and foreign students is that locals have a general idea of scumbags, where not to go. which area within an area is dodgy. These students dont have this local knowledge. And I doubt they are forewarned when been sold the idea of studying in Ireland.

THey see Guinness, Paddys Day, All friendly, green and the Craic. Not the reality of urban decay and a bunch of scumbags. One of those arrested is a suspect for glassing american tourists last year.

I dont care if im been unfair on an area. This student did not deserve what he got by any means. and if he had been warned about certain areas this may not have happened.:(

If the college wont provide an acomodation service then why cant we do it here?

[side rant[
    btw heard the college director on the radio. he worked hard to drive the fact that it didnt happen on campus. and for the college counsellor they have cut her hours in half since i started...

• Advertisement

If the college wont provide an acomodation service then why cant we do it here?

[side rant[
    btw heard the college director on the radio. he worked hard to drive the fact that it didnt happen on campus. and for the college counsellor they have cut her hours in half since i started...

They do provide accommodation and no one ever used the counsellor as far as I can tell. That said I'm not sure what the counsellor would have to do with accommodation that someone in the faculty office couldn't do. Frankly with DAFT Dublin is one of the easiest cities I've ever lived in to fin accommodation.

I am concerned, and I'm sure it will be communicated to students, that Dublin can be violent in areas and the best bet is to call the guards rather than confront people. A sad state of affairs to be sure but no more true of GCD than areas surrounding TCD and DCU.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

TimotiSt wrote: »
    Please explain?

The rooms are not very nice, very small and they are (well were maybe this has changed) very heavy with fines and such over noise, having people back and all rather much like living with a mother by all acounts, a number of my class mates and friends stayed on campus, no longer than a year each as they did not enjoy it, the houses opposite the college, lots of xcheap accom in there and vey nice

They do provide accommodation and no one ever used the counsellor as far as I can tell. That said I'm not sure what the counsellor would have to do with accommodation that someone in the faculty office couldn't do. Frankly with DAFT Dublin is one of the easiest cities I've ever lived in to fin accommodation.

I am concerned, and I'm sure it will be communicated to students, that Dublin can be violent in areas and the best bet is to call the guards rather than confront people. A sad state of affairs to be sure but no more true of GCD than areas surrounding TCD and DCU.

What is the big issue with providing a forum for students to ask for an advice on a particular area? its in other college threads on here. GC have accommodation on campus but they dont provide advice to students who wish to live off campus. a lot of students have accommodation sorted before arrival so i doubt they will be fully versed on where not to go. TCD DIT DCU students union have accommodation advisory services as far as i know.

daft doesnt tell students that previous occupant was stabbed and killed!ffs!:mad:

looks like theres a stickied thread a brewing, why dont you start a thread and accom on the area rating areas ?

The rooms are not very nice, very small and they are (well were maybe this has changed) very heavy with fines and such over noise, having people back and all rather much like living with a mother by all acounts, a number of my class mates and friends stayed on campus, no longer than a year each as they did not enjoy it, the houses opposite the college, lots of xcheap accom in there and vey nice

In all honesty the campus itself is pleasant enough but the facilities are around what you'd expect. The restaurant is a bit hit and miss and the bar closes at 8pm. The green areas have all been recently done up and as a place to spend time its nice. GCD have one of the best libraries of any private college and I know law wise we are better stocked on core texts than TCD (books to student).

The accommodation is better than most places you'd get on a student budget in Dublin but certainly not perfect. Clean and functional is how I'd describe it. Yes campus security do close down late night loud parties but frankly, so they should! Not everyone can sleep in the next day and it's not as if there aren't clubs and pubs near by. I've been in there on a few occasions and it seems anything til around 11:30 goes as long as you're not going mental.

I'm not sure strict security and a crap bar can be considered 'a nightmare' - where as letting people run riot may well qualify.
    What is the big issue with providing a forum for students to ask for an advice on a particular area? its in other college threads on here. GC have accommodation on campus but they dont provide advice to students who wish to live off campus. a lot of students have accommodation sorted before arrival so i doubt they will be fully versed on where not to go. TCD DIT DCU students union have accommodation advisory services as far as i know.

daft doesnt tell students that previous occupant was stabbed and killed!ffs!:mad:

I didn't say that there was a problem - I think its a good idea. I said lets not jump to conclusions about certain areas. You do seem to be easily excited if we go by your posting style. If we discount everywhere in Dublin someone has been killed then there's nowhere students can live.

• Advertisement

Fully agree on that one. IMHO Dublin is a nice place to live in, but still a city with the inherent dangers. Confronting rough looking guys is not a good idea, especially if you are abroad. Call the cops or the security guy of your apt block.

looks like theres a stickied thread a brewing, why dont you start a thread and accom on the area rating areas ?

Should I just go ahead and start one or does a mod have to start a sticky thread?

Thanks for support.

start it, once it gets rolling i can stickie it

Advertisement