Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Importing from the UK- VAT rule?

• 03-12-2012 3:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

Thinking of impotring a bike from the UK as the selection is so much better. Have my eye on a few bikes, one is a 12 months old but only has 2k miles on it..Is the rule that is must be at least 6 months old or have at least 6k km on the clock, or does the bike have to satify both of these criteria to avoid the bike being classed as 'new' and subject to vat @23%?

If it's both, how plausable is it to buy a UK bike thats over 6 months old but has say 4.5 k on the clock, then dont present it for VRT payment untill you have hit the 6k mark (a few weeks)? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

As far as I know it's EITHER - so if it's under 6 months old (regardless of mileage) OR if it has less than 6K on the clock (regardless of age) it's subject to VAT.

As far as I am aware (I did exactly this 6 months ago) they only check the mileage when you take it to the NCT center to get it registered. They then submit the records into the revenue's application and it spits out what you owe.

So - if you get it into the country with less than 6k on the clock and manage to get it up to 6k you could be ok. I do stand to be corrected here though - as they may also check against the registration papers... You could say that you clocked the extra miles up in the UK before it gets here. Not sure how they'd manage to check up in that!

Good luck with it (I had to pay the VAT and it still worked out a better deal than buying here. Just)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

scorn wrote: »
    As far as I know it's EITHER - so if it's under 6 months old (regardless of mileage) OR if it has less than 6K on the clock (regardless of age) it's subject to VAT.

As far as I am aware (I did exactly this 6 months ago) they only check the mileage when you take it to the NCT center to get it registered. They then submit the records into the revenue's application and it spits out what you owe.

So - if you get it into the country with less than 6k on the clock and manage to get it up to 6k you could be ok. I do stand to be corrected here though - as they may also check against the registration papers... You could say that you clocked the extra miles up in the UK before it gets here. Not sure how they'd manage to check up in that!

Good luck with it (I had to pay the VAT and it still worked out a better deal than buying here. Just)

Yeah, the revenue site says its only one or the other, but I rang revenue and they told me the bike has to be both over 6 months old and over 6k km on the clock - he agreed that the site suggested otherwise e and was wrong.

He said that I have to make an appointment with NCT within 7 days of the bike entering the country, and that the appointment date had to be within 30 days of the bike entering the country. He wasn't sure if they took the details (mileage/ age etc) when ringing to make the appointment (within 7 days) or at the actual appointment (within 30 days). I'd imagine details are taken at the actual appointment so I could tour the country night and day withing those 30 days to get the clock up to 6k km..suppose would be worth while if you only needed to make up 4 or 500 km to hit the 6k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

A nice little tour of the UK on the way home would easily put up 300km, then a good couple of spims here would cover the rest. If you want to be a bit smart you can filter on Autotrader by distance, buy as far from your ferry Port as possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Thinking of impotring a bike from the UK as the selection is so much better. Have my eye on a few bikes, one is a 12 months old but only has 2k miles on it..Is the rule that is must be at least 6 months old or have at least 6k km on the clock, or does the bike have to satify both of these criteria to avoid the bike being classed as 'new' and subject to vat @23%?

If it's both, how plausable is it to buy a UK bike thats over 6 months old but has say 4.5 k on the clock, then dont present it for VRT payment untill you have hit the 6k mark (a few weeks)? Thanks

Tax,vat and VRT are all going UP on Wednesday.;)

Advertisement