Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 day Vipassana course.

Options
  • 03-12-2012 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm lucky enough to have got a place on the upcoming 10 day Vipassana meditation course being ran in Ennis, Co Clare.
    I'm really excited and probably a little nervous about going as I haven't done a half an hours meditation before; never mind 10 days!

Has anybody here been on this course?
    Any words of wisdom for a neewbie?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Not sure if anyone currently posting has done it (I havent) but I know over the years people here have done that course or similar. It sounds intensive but very good.

Good luck with it, I would be interested in hearing how you got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Hoochiemama

I did it about two years ago and have done 2 weekend refresher courses as well. Prepare for a tough slog. Sore backs, internal monologue that will not shut the F up, boredom, constantly questions "why am i doing this"..... but this is all the "monkey mind" and after awhile, this all clears and such clarity can come.

I can honestly say it was the best thing I ever did in my life. The shift in my perception of myself and my surroundings and the world made it worth while. My self awareness just went through the roof after it.

I always describe it like this: Think of a room full to the brim of clutter and junk, you want to clear out the room and have it neat and orderly.... to do this you have to go through all the crap in there. Along the way you will see and throw away alot of crap and find some gems and at the end you get a nice organised room that you can sit in peacefully.

Remember, only good can come from something like a Vipassana course! Enjoy xxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭dkin

A 10 day retreat seems a little extreme if you have only done half an hours meditation before. I think I would go insane, as mentioned your back will hurt, mentally you'll be all over the place, social isolation etc. I'm not sure if I or even most people would benefit from such an experience. It's also very forceful, as you'll be constantly struggling which can result in alot of tension.

Maybe at some stage you get to the point where you just give up and surrender? I've not done it so I don't know. I've been meditating for a while and find it is a very gradual, slow unfoldment that in my case wouldn't benefit from such an intense experience (but I've not tried it, so would be interested in hearing others experience). But everyone is different and if you have been drawn to it, then go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Hoochiemama

Good point by Dkin!

I had only done 20 minutes of meditation before I done the Vipassana but I felt so drawn to it that I knew it was what I wanted.

It is SOOOOO hard. Do not underestimate the difficult task that is ahead of you!!! But also do not lose focus of the immense number of possibilities you can gain from it.

i can honestly say it changed the way I think and view the world and everything has been different since

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

I have done it also 2 years ago in Ennis. Just go in with an open mind. Can't say I had the same experience of great clarity as Hoochiemama, not a lasting one at least. But I am very glad I did it. I may do it again, but not ready for that again. The silence and the 2 vegetarian meals were not too bad. The time in your head is the toughest. You will never face yourself that way. Your perception does change. Most of the people I did it with found it very beneficial, so many people go back again and again, hence the waiting lists. I think having limited meditation experience was not a hindrance. It is really all about the meditation, most of your hours will be spent meditating. Bring loads of loungy comfortable clothes and remember 'all pain is of the mind' when your body starts resisting. Oh do use the scheduled time to talk to the guide if you are having difficulty, it helps when it gets really tough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Mother Duck

I've done 2 10 day courses, as pointed out, it can be very difficult but extremely beneficial. Plenty of people on both courses had never meditated before, so don't let that be a concern. Best of luck to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Suceed

I'm heading to this one myself, but I'll only be doing the first 7 days.

You'll be grand. There's loads of people do it never having meditated before.

It's a slog, even for those who've done it before, but the benefits are amazing.

Advertisement