Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hd TV that can play files from a hard-drive.

Options
  • 03-12-2012 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭

My sister is moving into a new place and I'd like to buy her a half decent tv. At the very minimum it must be at the very least 28" but preferably at least 32".

It has to be hd and saorview ready and I would like to get her something that can play files directly from a hard drive as I've tons of movies and tv shows I can give her.

Any suggestions as to what might be suitable, what shops to look in or links to a website.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,578 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Any of the latest Samsung models in the store support connecting HDrive to the TV, I got one over a year ago and it supports USB, be it from FAT32 or NTFS.....

Not so sure about the other brands but I assume it is the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

A lot of the Samsung tvs I've been looking at have a usb port but are restricted to playing mp3s and photos. Though I have been looking at tvs valued between €250-€300.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

I have two samsungs here... one is from 4 years ago and will only play pics and mp3s - the other one is a year old and plays everything i throw at it (except for MKVs). Like fieldog says above... A new samsung would tick all your boxes.

The easiest way to know if you are buying the right telly is to bring a usb key with you... have one mp3, one picture and one AVI movie file on it. they will allow you to plug it into the stores tvs if you ask nicely... just tell them that you want to pick the right tv that plays all three files. If they play from usb key, they will certainly play from an attached hard drive.

Happy shopping.

(One a side note - wouldn't it be better for you to wait for jan sales - cheaper prices and all that?)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Powercity have a Walker set for €269.99 that plays video via USB.

http://www.powercity.ie/index.php?par=10-12&cat=TV,%20DVD,%20Camera,%20Laptop,iPad&action=brandstory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Any suggestions as to what might be suitable, what shops to look in or links to a website.

Amazon ship this to Ireland:

A Saorview approved LG 3D LED, with USB playback for €350 approx (Choose GBP as your payment option & let your credit card handle FX conversion).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007IYW176/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestions lads. Really helpful. I'm based near Limerick so Powercity is out. Anything else suitable in Currys, PC World, Tesco, Dunnes, Xtravision etc.

I'm definately gonna do that suggestion with my usb stick though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Thanks for the suggestions lads. Really helpful. I'm based near Limerick so Powercity is out. Anything else suitable in Currys, PC World, Tesco, Dunnes, Xtravision etc.

I'm definately gonna do that suggestion with my usb stick though.

PowerCity home deliver nationwide and take away your old TV for an extra €10.

Oracle wrote: »
    PowerCity home deliver nationwide and take away your old TV for an extra €10.

Free delivery?

This one in Argos for €279.99 plays divx,etc.It's roughly €330 on Amazon.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5296486/c_1/1|category_root|Home+entertainment+and+sat+nav|14419512/c_2/3|cat_19780832|Televisions|14419667.htm

It's saorview approved also.

zerks wrote: »
    This one in Argos for €279.99 plays divx,etc.It's roughly €330 on Amazon.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5296486/c_1/1|category_root|Home+entertainment+and+sat+nav|14419512/c_2/3|cat_19780832|Televisions|14419667.htm

It's saorview approved also.

THat's a nice one alright, pity it's out of stock everywhere.

Nice find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭mememo

Expert also do the walker if there is one close to you my aunt got one a few months ago and it will play almost any file even some of the newer MKV files

I went into my local electrical shop today and had a good look around. I asked a member of staff whether a certain tv could play files from a hard drive. She told me it wouldn't, that it could only play files from a usb stick. I think she's talking out of her anus. I'm almost certain it'll play anyhting from a large hard drive.

I went into my local electrical shop today and had a good look around. I asked a member of staff whether a certain tv could play files from a hard drive. She told me it wouldn't, that it could only play files from a usb stick. I think she's talking out of her anus. I'm almost certain it'll play anyhting from a large hard drive.

It should however the tv might have problems with a large amount of files on a drive.As an example,I used to connect my 1tb drive to the tv but as the drive got fuller,I had problems with stuff being out of synch.Now I just stick what I want to watch onto a flash drive instead.

Advertisement