Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get my deposit back?

Options
  • 03-12-2012 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi, I'll keep this short and sweet. My friend and I rented a house last September and the deposit was 200. My friend signed a lease, I did not (wasn't asked). We're paying the landlord tomorrow for this coming month and telling him we're moving out, so that'd be the last payment. Can we get our deposits back? Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

How long is the lease for? If the lease is for longer than you have stayed including your notice period then I doubt you will get your deposit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 HairyJim

Limericks wrote: »
    How long is the lease for? If the lease is for longer than you have stayed including your notice period then I doubt you will get your deposit back.
    I don't know mate because I didn't sign the lease mate but I was still paying rent. What if you didn't sign it, then there is no contract?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Landlord usually takes whatevers due on ESB, Gas, Sky, Broadband etc from the deposit. If anything is broken in the house or damaged in any way they ysually take that from the deposit as well. its Hard to get a deposit back, especially a 200 euro one!

areyawell wrote: »
    Landlord usually takes whatevers due on ESB, Gas, Sky, Broadband etc from the deposit. If anything is broken in the house or damaged in any way they ysually take that from the deposit as well. its Hard to get a deposit back!
    There is nothing broke and we pay gas, esb and everything else.

You need to find out if there is a lease - did your friend sign one?
    Yes he did sign something, I presume it was the lease, I wasn't there that day. I didn't sign it however. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

By last September do you mean 2012 or 2011?

You need to find out if it is a fixed term lease or not, and if it was a fixed term lease how long it was signed for.

If you do not have a fixed term lease then you need to give written notice that you intend to vacate the property. If you started renting this year (2012) then you give 28 days notice. If you started renting in Sept 11 then you give 42 days notice. Assuming there are no deductions for damage, unpaid rent/bills etc then I dont see why you wouldnt get your deposit back.

If you have a fixed term lease and the lease has not yet expired then you cannot just announce that you are leaving and expect your deposit back.

djimi wrote: »
    By last September do you mean 2012 or 2011?

You need to find out if it is a fixed term lease or not, and if it was a fixed term lease how long it was signed for.

If you do not have a fixed term lease then you need to give written notice that you intend to vacate the property. If you started renting this year (2012) then you give 28 days notice. If you started renting in Sept 11 then you give 42 days notice. Assuming there are no deductions for damage, unpaid rent/bills etc then I dont see why you wouldnt get your deposit back.

If you have a fixed term lease and the lease has not yet expired then you cannot just announce that you are leaving and expect your deposit back.
    Alright man thanks for the information, I don't know if it's fixed or not because I didn't sign it. Would I get the deposit back because I didn't agree to anything? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

HairyJim wrote: »
    Alright man thanks for the information, I don't know if it's fixed or not because I didn't sign it. Would I get the deposit back because I didn't agree to anything? Cheers.

"You" won't get anything back at all as "You" didn't sign anything. I'm not being sarcastic here but you literally don't exist as a tenant in that house. What you did was sublet off the main tenant - your mate that signed the lease - so for ffs don't argue with him as the landlord will be giving him the deposit back and not you.

As for how much of the deposit is returned - it depends on whether he (your mate) has given the correct notice period - part 4 tenancy or even if you can give notice at all - fixed term tenancy.

If it's fixed term and ye leave before the term is fully up kiss the deposit goodbye

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

HairyJim wrote: »

A lease can still exist even if you didn't sign anything. You are basically a part 4 tenancy (Unless you were paying your rent to your mate & not the Landlord).

You have to give the proper notice & leave the place in a fit state. Then you'd be entitled to your deposit back.

Advertisement