Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much is electrician cost in Dublin?

Options
  • 03-12-2012 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    how much is usual electrician cost to change the bulb holder?

Help me out please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

xiuzhen wrote: »

waiting for the punchline.....................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Hi guys,

Help me out please.

If you were next door to me, it would be free

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Ah the spirit of Christmass is alive and well here so.:)

Can we turn out the lights on a certain shower of FG and Labour muppets on Wednesday though???

Opps wrong switch,sorry.:pac::D

paddy147 wrote: »
    Ah the spirit of Christmass is alive and well here so.:)

Can we turn out the lights on a certain shower of FG and Labour muppets on Wednesday though???

Id do that for free as well

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭markad1

What part of Dublin are you in

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

Help me out please.

Anyway, it would only be a few minutes to do that, so shouldnt cost much. Where are you living?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

40 an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭xiuzhen

Dublin city center.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭xiuzhen

city center

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Many places will charge you a minimum call out fee, so some small little 5 min jobs would end up costing 80 to 100 euro. However for such a small job this sounds very high, but there is a cost in having electricians on the go that may not suit you.

There is a sticky on the front page with names and numbers of tradespeople, you could try them if you want the job done, however if you are just price checking against someone who just rang up an official company you could very well be looking at a call out fee and many companies operate like that. It wold not be fair to compare an electricians direct cost to to this job against a company that had overheads and have people on the go. bottom line if you want this this try to find a local electrician, ring around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

If your a bit of a handyman:
    Is this an ordinary holder, the sort on the end of a cable dangling from the ceiling? Then it's dead easy. You'll need a set of steps or something to stand on and a small screwdriver.

Make sure the switch is off and turn off the relevant circuit breaker or remove the fuse. Personally I put the fuse in my pocket so there's no danger of anyone flipping the switch by mistake and turning the juice on.

Take the bulb out and put it somewhere safe. Next up is probably a plastic ring that holds the lampshade. It should unscrew but sometimes they stick hard if they've been there a long time and you may need to break it away.

On top of the fitting is a sort of plastic dome which covers the terminals. This unscrews upwards, exposing the terminals. Note how the wires are held in the little brass terminals and unscrew them and pull them free. The bulb holder is now free.

Fitting the new one is just a reverse process. Tidy up the wire ends with a little judicious twisting before you insert them in the new terminals. Oh, and don't forget to make sure the terminal cover thing is slipped onto the cable first!

Personally, before screwing the plastic parts together I smear a tiny bit of vaseline on the threads first - makes 'em easier to undo in future.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110412002550AApeAxe

Just make sure the power is off...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Make sure the switch is off and turn off the relevant circuit breaker or remove the fuse.

It is best to have the proper test equipment to ensure that the power is off. I have come across cases where the MCB was on the neutral so when it was switched off the light went off but mains voltage was still present :eek:

Take the bulb out and put it somewhere safe. Next up is probably a plastic ring that holds the lampshade. It should unscrew but sometimes they stick hard if they've been there a long time and you may need to break it away.

Agreed, they often break so it would be no harm to have a spare lamp holder. These are quite cheap and readily available.

On top of the fitting is a sort of plastic dome which covers the terminals. This unscrews upwards, exposing the terminals. Note how the wires are held in the little brass terminals and unscrew them and pull them free. The bulb holder is now free.

If it is a brass unit (or made from any conductive material) it must be earthed.

If the lamp holder is Edison Screw type (not the bayonet type) it will be polarity concious. Therefore the phase (live) should be connected to the center of the lamp, not the outer "ring".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Older consumer units,fuse boards have large on,off ,red/ white power switch which knocks off mains power.
    This will reset clocks in cooker, central heating timer to zero, ie if power to all appliaces is off.
    i,m not an electrician thats opinion.
    you could knock off trip switches for all lights ,they should be marked ,lights 1,2,3 without effecting any other appliance.
    if you can change a fuse in a plug, you should be able to
    change a plastic standard 2 wire light fixture.
    Don,t forget knock off lights switch first in the room.
    i,m presuming its not an older metal type light which has 3 wires,
    power,neutral, earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

OP Google around theres some sparks that do day rates, you may have some other stuff you need done. I had a load of silly little sparks jobs needed doing (extra sockets, extra lights, change light fittings) took about 5 hours to do. Asked for day rate, got supplies myself and just paid him for labour. He wanted 95 day rate 9-5. He arrived 10 was gone by 3pm. I gave him 100 Euro. He was happy enough i got a mountain of stuff done. :D;)

Advertisement